Teacher Chat Thread...College, Elementary, Middle, and High School

If it will take 2 hours then they will be starting at 10 pm. and send it to you at 11:59 pm. "Challenge Accepted!"

There is no sending it to me. MAL does it all for me! No grading for me this semester! Just lecturing and "dealing" with students.

Well, you guys teach at a different level but this was a treat I got this morning.

Kid: Hey Mr. B.!
Me: Yes?
Kid: I know someone who sounds like an owl,
Me: Who?
Kid: You! Hoo hoo!!!
Me: :rotfl:

I am monitoring my messages right now to see who may have trouble registering and logging into MAL. Also, to see who are the last minute people and how long it will take them. Gotta keep an eye out for the cheaters too. Only downside to everything being done online.

Well i may be joining the teacher ranks sooner than i thought, if my current assistanceship doesnt come through, i will be picking up some grading wage work this semester and doing some GTA work in the spring

is it bad that im most excited about the fact that id get an office finally?

the past 2 years my office has been my apartment, or the desk i use in DC, which is great except DC is 5 hours away from campus

I have two offices. One I share with someone else (normal job). The other is timeshare with the rest of the adjuncts.

No office for me. Just a desk among desks.

I got a great bunch of students this year. Isn't it funny how the dynamic of each year's students can be so different. There are years that are so "challenging" (word choice could have been different) but they really make me appreciate the fantastic groups.

I was just talking with our Kindergarten teacher and one of the students doesn't even know if he holds a pencil in his right or left hand. WTH?! This kid has not even had the chance to use crayons yet before school starts. Talk about starting behind. Geez. :(

I was just talking with our Kindergarten teacher and one of the students doesn't even know if he holds a pencil in his right or left hand. WTH?! This kid has not even had the chance to use crayons yet before school starts. Talk about starting behind. Geez. :(
The school I'm at is located in the centre of a very low socio-economic cluster (like 80% of our students fall into this catagory), and you'd be amazed at how common that is here! They can't figure out what hand to use, how scissorswork, how to hold a pencil, etc. I teach grade 2 (so 6 and 7 year olds) and I still have a handful that are struggling to grasp the letters and sounds of the alphabets.

The school I'm at is located in the centre of a very low socio-economic cluster (like 80% of our students fall into this catagory), and you'd be amazed at how common that is here! They can't figure out what hand to use, how scissorswork, how to hold a pencil, etc. I teach grade 2 (so 6 and 7 year olds) and I still have a handful that are struggling to grasp the letters and sounds of the alphabets.

I am beginning to wonder about some of my sophomore level college students at this point!

Sad.

They know how to hold a video game controller though.

Where are the parents?
Well, in my case many of dads are/were posted on a military mission/training. I teach at a school located close to a military base. Single parents just can't keep up and are in survival mode, never mind trying to stimulate their kids in any educational way.

Back