Teacher Chat Thread...College, Elementary, Middle, and High School

The only Tim I know teaching middle school was transferred from Moncton to Salisbury about 2 years ago... and I think his last name started with a D? So probably not the same guy.
Well, he was all over the news for taping up a couple girls by a wrist because they were arguing during a P.Ed. class and he wanted them to have to work together and bump the ball during a volleyball skills practice. The whole thing blew up in his face.

Well, he was all over the news for taping up a couple girls by a wrist because they were arguing during a P.Ed. class and he wanted them to have to work together and bump the ball during a volleyball skills practice. The whole thing blew up in his face.
Ok, I totally remember that incident! And no, not the same Tim. Though in his defense, it was blown way out of proportion... but it was still a terrible idea.

Ok, I totally remember that incident! And no, not the same Tim. Though in his defense, it was blown way out of proportion... but it was still a terrible idea.
Ya, totally blown out of proportion for sure. Agree, bad idea. Is he in the same school board as you?
There was even a short skit about the incident made on This Hour has 22 Minutes!

Ya, totally blown out of proportion for sure. Agree, bad idea. Is he in the same school board as you?
There was even a short skit about the incident made on This Hour has 22 Minutes!
Yes, he would be in the same school district as me. Or at least he was at the time of the incident, but they did a bunch of re-zoning at the end of last year and our district got much smaller so he may not be anymore.

Why is it that students (individually) think a syllabus can be changed for them on a whim?

Probably the same reason a few teachers ask for extensions on getting their report card marks in when they know that they have been due for months.

Probably the same reason a few teachers ask for extensions on getting their report card marks in when they know that they have been due for months.

It is beyond frustrating. The schedule is the schedule. The entire semester is given to them up front. Plan around it or don't take the class.

My dad just retired from teaching..... Civil engineering at UofD and as he told me and I have seen (my brother and I have been volunteered to help grade some of his tests) undergraduates are about dumb as a box of rocks..... The last 10 years or so he refused to teach them and wanted graduate students only....

When juggling my classes at night, there were many times I took classes out of order. Didn't seem to matter to me.

It is not about taking classes out of order, it is an issue of can you move this quiz or test for me. They are all taken online with two different windows throughout the day to accommodate varying schedules.

My dad just retired from teaching..... Civil engineering at UofD and as he told me and I have seen (my brother and I have been volunteered to help grade some of his tests) undergraduates are about dumb as a box of rocks..... The last 10 years or so he refused to teach them and wanted graduate students only....

I taught an upper level class with major students only and it is a night and day difference with the introduction class.

I did a histogram the other day of grades for my class through the first five weeks (1/3 of semester)...it was weird. Something close to this:

upload_2013-10-7_15-51-8.png

Looks much more normal now...except for the F's.

upload_2013-10-7_15-48-38.png

Of course I lost quite a few students about a week after the first test. As much as I tell them learning accounting is all about repetition, they seem to think fumbling through the homework once (online, unlimited attempts) and reading the chapters is sufficient to learn the material.

Supposed to be making a test. Gotta love procrastination.

Back