Westboro Baptist Church Idiots thread

MrsJrotax101

Administrator
Admin
Congress Passes Restrictions On Military Funeral Protests, Delivers Blow To Westboro Baptist Church

s-VETERANS-BILL-large.jpg

Westboro Baptist Church protesters will soon be severely limited in their ability to disrupt military funerals, after Congress passed a sweeping veterans bill this week that includes restrictions on such demonstrations.
According to "The Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012," which is now headed to President Barack Obama's desk, demonstrators will no longer be allowed to picket military funerals two hours before or after a service. The bill also requires protestors to be at least 300 feet away from grieving family members.

This aspect of the legislation was introduced by Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine), who, at the urging of a teenage constituent, proposed new limitations on military funeral demonstrations as a response to a 2011 Supreme Court case that ruled such actions were protected under the First Amendment.

In the wake of that decision, many have turned to counter-protest efforts to block Westboro Baptist Church's disruptive and insensitive displays, which frequently suggest that U.S. soldiers have been killed as God's vengeance for gay tolerance.

Thousands turned out in Missouri last month, forming a "human wall" around a church where the service for a fallen soldier was being held. Earlier in July, hundreds of Texas A&M students showed up in a similar effort, joining together to create a barrier between Westboro Baptist Church members and a military funeral.

And while not at a specific service, a group of demonstrators dressed as zombies gathered at a military base in Washington last month, far outnumbering and overshadowing followers of the far-right congregation.

The bill also contains a variety of measures meant to address veterans health, benefits, housing and education. Obama is expected to sign to the legislation later this month.
Below, a closer look at Texas A&M's "maroon wall" demonstration:
slide_237102_1191010_free.jpg

slide_237102_1191007_free.jpg

slide_237102_1191001_free.jpg

slide_237102_1191012_free.jpg

slide_237102_1191030_free.jpg

slide_237102_1190998_free.jpg

Article from: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/02/veterans-bill-military-funerals_n_1733080.html

maybe they shouldn't limit the ban on westboro to only military funerals. They will still attend other stuff like the colorado shooting, or whatever else. Step in the right direction I guess.

I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, what they do is horrible and should never happen. But I also agree with their rights to protest on public land. This is kind of an attack on the first ammendment. They're only doing this because they disagree with their message

One church member even suggested that God was using Jobs to help advance the message of Westboro Baptist Church: “God used Steve Jobs to create amazing STUFF for WBC to preach,”
wrote Shirley Phelps-Roper.

Glad to see this happening.... I have no problem with people protesting and exercising the first amendant but at least have a little common sense and dignity.... I do think 300 feet is not far enough, should be 500-1000 feet and anyone violating it gets swift and immediate disciple...

Glad to see this happening.... I have no problem with people protesting and exercising the first amendant but at least have a little common sense and dignity.... I do think 300 feet is not far enough, should be 500-1000 feet and anyone violating it gets swift and immediate disciple...
You can't decide what counts under the first amendment or doesn't by if you like it or not

Go yell bomb on an airplane and see how the first amendment holds up.

Protesters like these can cause violence

which can lead to panic and death

Protesters like these can cause violence

which can lead to panic and death
Just because someone doesn't like what you say is no reason to resort to violence
Hearing someone claim to have a bomb on a plane and attacking that person is a reason for violence

You don't ban something just because someone may break the law because of what you say. I'm sorry, but we all have the right to voice our opinions

So you'd have no issue with them protesting at your mom/dad/sibling/friends funeral?

So you'd have no issue with them protesting at your mom/dad/sibling/friends funeral?
I'd be annoyed and pissed, and in that state of mind I might even throw a swing if I got the chance, but if they died in the military, they died fighting for their right to do that
You don't base laws on what you like

I honestly think that people shouldn't protest funerals. At all. The person is dead and out of respect to them and their family. Leave them be to mourn their loss.
If you didn't like them...you should have done something about it when they were alive.

That's their whole goal! They are lawyers! They file lawsuits when they are hit or whatever.

That's their whole goal! They are lawyers! They file lawsuits when they are hit or whatever.
And punishment should come when they're attacked. Unless you're threatening someone's life or bodily harm, nothing should legally allow physical harm

I honestly don't give a damn whether you are protesting a gay soldier's funeral or even one of these whack jobs' funerals. You should not be allowed within a certain distance from the mourning family/friends. I'm sure they would want the same respect these people deserve. I'd go around following when their loved ones die and **** up their funeral just to get my point across since nothing else seems to work. There's a difference between protesting for your beliefs and being a complete *******. These people at the funerals (anywhere else is fine) are a bunch of heartless **** heads.

Heck..you're not even allowed to advertise candidates within x amount of space to a voting booth. Shouldn't you be allowed to express who you want to vote for in the 1st amendment?
Just thinking...

Thx for posting the thread........... The military family's and the ppl at the funeral didn't make the laws, they just served their Country. If these protesters want to show their opinion go to DC (White house / Pentagon / etc.)

Back