BEWARE: Mugen Carbon fiber 6-speed shift knob

TheSlowAndTheSerious

New Jersey
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Hey guys,

I'm sure a lot of you have seen the carbon fiber Mugen shift knobs which you can get w/a red stripe or black stripe. Well a couple months ago I bought one off a seller on ebay from Canada, I installed it and immediately and while installing it as I was tightening it I feel as the plastic CF casing on the actual knob started to unglue itself from the actual knob. Long story short, the knob is in place and not moving, but the actual faux carbon fiber casing on the shift knob has completely come off the knob itself and spins freely. Kind of hard to explain, maybe Dar-Dar can explain it better since he saw it in person. After googling and researching a bit more this knob is definitely a knock-off, and stated before in other threads, it costs ~$30 to make in China lol so definitely not worth how much people are buying them for. I cant vouch for every single one thats being sold, and if anyone else had this problem, but buy these knobs at your own risk.

http://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=9013

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Shippi...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7fe891a3&vxp=mtr

Last edited by a moderator:
You pretty much explained it. The 'carbon fiber layer' is moving and spins freely from the actual knob even though the knob itself is installed properly. It's fake.

It kinda reminds me of those $20 'Mugen' oil caps. The authenticity is not there! I never bought the oil caps and I'm just using it as a comparison. But I find it amusing how they would sell for $20 while real Mugen coolant caps go for over $40.

The case may say Mugen. Some may say that Mugen products are sometimes made in China (as said in package). But there's nothing "Mugen" about it.

Maybe the real ones would only be in Kingmotorsports since they are Mugen parts dealers for a long time now. $170 isn't worth the price for a knob though.

Yep, by no means am I saying jhpusa.com or kingmotorsports sell fake ones, I bought mine off ebay from a reputable seller for $90. But definitely not authentic.

yeah, there are a few places making these in China

AlienPrime actually vouched for the seller that I got it from lol

Same here, I made sure to only tighten mine to the point where it stopped spinning on the threading with very little torque, then just tightened the bolt up instead of the knob. Worked great!

Plus it looks fantastic and the seller is someone I also bought a few other things from so I consider the excess paying for sourcing it and customer service.

Edit: I believe the packaging was slightly different from the "authentic" one which gives it away as well. One little thing was off if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
I have the same shift knob. In my case, AP vouched for the seller (i.e Canadian, no customs fees, fast and cheap shipping) not necessarily the knob. He never told me that he was 100% sure it was authentic.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely watch for it coming apart. So far so good. It looks great and feels right for me when shifting.

It's so hard to know what parts are legit and which aren't. So far I'm happy with this shift knob though.

AlienPrime actually vouched for the seller that I got it from lol
are you serious right now? If you think it's faux cf, it's pretty easy to tell. Skrub had the same problem like 7 months ago. He email the seller, and got a replacement. i like how you can assign blame tho :)

faux carbon? really? i'm going to ******* split mine open just to show you the carbon weave. it's pretty ******** obvious... just saying lol

Same here, I made sure to only tighten mine to the point where it stopped spinning on the threading with very little torque, then just tightened the bolt up instead of the knob. Worked great!

Plus it looks fantastic and the seller is someone I also bought a few other things from so I consider the excess paying for sourcing it and customer service.

Edit: I believe the packaging was slightly different from the "authentic" one which gives it away as well. One little thing was off if I remember correctly.
i had kingmotorsports email me pics of his knob. Packaging is identicle and says made in china on it too. don't start that shitt

possted this some time ago.....

just got this image from Scott Zellener From KingMotorsports

DS9Yz7K.jpg

If you look closely... you'd notice the pic says MADE IN CHINA

It's perfectly debatable that what ExoPart sells is genuine. Anyone who wants a fowards of that email from Scott at Kingmotor sports, email me, i'll forwards it to you

GranTurismo5@live.com

You can email him here:
scott@kingmotorsports.com

i had kingmotorsports email me pics of his knob. Packaging is identicle and says made in china on it too. don't start that shitt

Calm down I wasn't accusing you of anything. I told you the customer service was great and so is the knob - it is not spinning for me at all and I abuse it everyday...I just thought I remembered a font being slightly bigger or smaller in one of the comparison pictures. I even added if I remember correctly. I'm not starting anything...

I would say the same thing to you then......he is just explaining what happened and what he knows from his own research and phone calls etc.

The following are a bit of over-reacting:

are you serious right now? i like how you can assign blame tho :) faux carbon? really? i'm going to ******* split mine open just to show you the carbon weave. it's pretty ******** obvious... just saying lol

don't start that shitt

The additional info AP is providing is appreciated, though. I just want things to stay civil.

Last edited:
The following are a bit of over-reacting:

The additional info AP is providing is appreciated, though. I just want things to stay civil.

Fair enough. But the comment "Easy on the coffee..." may have been a joke on your part, but I didn't read it that way.
Agree....we all want things to be civil.

Back