Photos -- Official Honda Civic Shift Knob Pics Thread --

wrap a zip tie around the shifter in a circle, cut excess off, then figure out a way to push the zip tie under the shift boot collar (one of the 4 tabs of the collar), should hold it up pretty well.

moddictionanvil by yoitsshad, on Flickr

Thanks for the detailed explanation shad. I'm gettin anvil 2 shortly and will be experimenting with this exact procedure. Should hold up well

****, guys I'm sorry, I've been saying I'm going to take a picture and I keep forgetting. I'm writing a note to my self for tomorrow morning, I will post the picture, promise!! lol

As promised lol finally, basically what it is, is copper pipe shoved in there wrapped in electrical tape, very simple. Its impossible for the boot to sag down

Attachments

• IMAG0053.jpg
    IMAG0053.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
  • IMAG0054.jpg
    IMAG0054.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
I'm confused. From the pictures, it appears that you installed the black metal retainer upside down on the shifter. If you turn it over and screw it back down, the shuny metal part on the bottom, then the boot retainer clips inside the boot will clip right back into place when you push the boot back up. . . . unless you broke the clips when removing the boot. Am I missing something here? Did you cut the retainer lip off the black retainer ring?

@hotdogjohnny no I have all my clips. And that's electrical tape not retainers lol Wrap some electrical tape around the stick then cut a piece of copper pipe and stick in there then wrap some more electrical tape around the outside and the boot stays on and does not move, the electrical tape keeps it in place.

@hotdogjohnny no I have all my clips. And that's electrical tape not retainers lol Wrap some electrical tape around the stick then cut a piece of copper pipe and stick in there then wrap some more electrical tape around the outside and the boot stays on and does not move, the electrical tape keeps it in place.
I don't think I get it. Let's start over for me. Why do you need electrical tape and copper pipe to hold up the boot? Why won't it stay up with the oem parts?

I don't have any OEM parts on there, I removed everything and just threw on the knob. The copper pipe is to add girth onto the shift lever and the electrical tape is to hold it in place. The electrical tape doesn't let the boot slide. If you have trouble understanding it, I may make a video lol

I don't have any OEM parts on there, I removed everything and just threw on the knob. The copper pipe is to add girth onto the shift lever and the electrical tape is to hold it in place. The electrical tape doesn't let the boot slide. If you have trouble understanding it, I may make a video lol
That's funny! No video needed, but thanks. Now that you say there's no oem parts on it anymore, I get it, but that piece under the knob in your pics sure looks like the oem retainer. I guess it's just something else that just looks exactly like the oem piece lol!

I'm glad it all worked out for you. That's an ingenious solution.

In the first ones I posted I had the OEM piece but it looked like crap, right underneath those I posted the updated pic without it. And haha yeah! thanks man

This is the one I needed to see to understand.

IMAG0043.jpg

You know what might look cool is, right now you have a lot of exposed black thread from your adapter. If you could zip tie the adapter, under that neo chromed nut, let's say about three threads up from the bottom of the adapter, then run the boot clips up over the zip tie so the boot sits flush with the bottom of the knob. Would that work, or is the black threaded adapter too thick?

That is interesting I didn't even think about that, it maybe to thick but I'll give it a try and post pics.
If it was mine and the adapter is too thick, I'd prolly hacksaw the extra threads under the nut off, and leave your present solution, just run it up to the new bottom. But that's just me.

7eva3a8y.jpg

ytaba8e7.jpg

Anvil 2 textured black, boot held up naturally

Back