Amazon, Mobil 1 & Valvoline Oil Compared

17,800 is a lot of miles for old MTF, especially during break-in with all those metal fragments. I couldn't wait to change mine.

the valvoline "full synthetic" according to BITOG's forum - "primarily group III with PAO blended in"

IomKJir.jpg
Like I said, the definition of synthetic has changed. But I like that "full" synthetic part ... a nice touch. And "Advanced"... even better!

With 2.4 engine, I don't think power shifting is needed. Shift slower and be precise, I find the light clutch makes it easy to go into the wrong gear. I think it takes a lot of practice and patience to shift a 6th speed. If your going to shift fast all the time , you need a short throw shifter and special bushings. The speed and tach and mpg gauge help a lot. But power shifting is not a good idea if you want the clutch and tranny to last in any car. I don't know about you, this is not facebook. Breaking stuff is costly and who gets stuck fixing it? Scotty says these cars last 300,000 Hwy miles, but I have yet to hit the hwy, so county road driving maybe the car only last 140,000 miles or less. and my tach is way higher than yours on 2006 VFR 800-the fastest one, new vfr's are slower LOL! Just ordered a DID chain riveter, caliper, and max chain wax. rev up your engine, but no power shifting, bad for tranny. vfr 800 has no tnps. just a real carbon fiber muffler and scotts damper too.

Last edited:
Honda tranny oil looked blacker then fresh Honda oil, it wasn't that bad but needed to be changed. 17,800 and six years, I wouldn't expect the Honda oil to still be like fresh fill. Honda tranny oil is likely to be fairly cheap stuff to make, not saying its bad stuff, just don't expect it to last super long. I would have changed it much sooner because of alu flakes in new tranny's are likely to around. Only way to get that out is change the fluid.

My first 1 was a bit amber colored too but now I change mine every 15-20k and it comes out pretty much clean looking with just a slight change in color.

With 2.4 engine, I don't think power shifting is needed. Shift slower and be precise, I find the light clutch makes it easy to go into the wrong gear. I think it takes a lot of practice and patience to shift a 6th speed. If your going to shift fast all the time , you need a short throw shifter and special bushings. The speed and tach and mpg gauge help a lot. But power shifting is not a good idea if you want the clutch and tranny to last in any car. I don't know about you, this is not facebook. Breaking stuff is costly and who gets stuck fixing it? Scotty says these cars last 300,000 Hwy miles, but I have yet to hit the hwy, so county road driving maybe the car only last 140,000 miles or less. and my tach is way higher than yours on 2006 VFR 800-the fastest one, new vfr's are slower LOL! Just ordered a DID chain riveter, caliper, and max chain wax. rev up your engine, but no power shifting, bad for tranny. vfr 800 has no tnps. just a real carbon fiber muffler and scotts damper too.
:rotfl::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::vtec::rotfl:

too hard on clutch, down shifting on a street car should never really replace your brakes, brakes are cheap compared to a clutch. Hit brakes first then down shift on the daily driven car. We are not a race car, do not drive like a race car. :spinning:Simply upshift to higher gear as soon as possible then brake on turn then you are down shifting. Drive like that you are mostly to ride the clutch too hard as well as wearing the the brakes out. Simply let off the gas before turns then downshift saving both the clutch and tires and brakes. Maybe not as fun but think of your car parts first and miss that pothole.:stickpokesmiley:replace tires with summer tire and lighter wheels. Use the three season's. Spring all season, summer tires- fall back to all season-winter for civic no-drive your beater. But yes really learn how to shift well as its not easy, no jamming, slamming or acting like a phony race car driver-buy some driving shoes is a good tip. Replace your Honda tranny oil 8,000 or less-its cheap and easy unless you are the hwy drone.

Last edited:
too hard on clutch, down shifting on a street car should never really replace your brakes, brakes are cheap compared to a clutch. Hit brakes first then down shift on the daily driven car. We are not a race car, do not drive like a race car. :spinning:Simply upshift to higher gear as soon as possible then brake on turn then you are down shifting. Drive like that you are mostly to ride the clutch too hard as well as wearing the the brakes out. Simply let off the gas before turns then downshift saving both the clutch and tires and brakes. Maybe not as fun but think of your car parts first and miss that pothole.:stickpokesmiley:replace tires with summer tire and lighter wheels. Use the three season's. Spring all season, summer tires- fall back to all season-winter for civic no-drive your beater. But yes really learn how to shift well as its not easy, no jamming, slamming or acting like a phony race car driver-buy some driving shoes is a good tip. Replace your Honda tranny oil 8,000 or less-its cheap and easy unless you are the hwy drone.
You speak words of wisdom, oh great @sunofwolf. But in so doing you have disqualified yourself from ever entering the hallowed ground of "The Dragon" where the standard rules don't apply for 11 glorious miles.

@webby... please show the gentleman to the door!

No offense, @sunofwolf... just goshin' there. At the same time, please be aware that many of the drivers on this board are considered by their peers to be 'professional' in our group (or semi-professional) even if they don't drive the F1 circuit. But they are good, if not very good or extremely gifted at what they do. And the rest of us (if we're not comfortable with how fast the best among us are driving) end up driving a little slower... that's all.

One thing is for sure -- I don't know of nobody here (and there are dozens you haven't met) who willingly drive beyond their own ability or the ability of their cars.

We all take driving safely seriously. No doubt about that. We study. We read, watch vidoes and take real life lessons from the pros on occasion. Or we show up at the racetrack to practice what we've learned. In other words we're involved with HPDE in one form or another. That's who you're dealing with here.

So back off with the worrywort granny stuff. You're not talking to an audience of uneducated drivers, rest assured of that.

But thank you for your concern. We appreciate it. Truly. Just lay off the preaching... it's the wrong group of parishioners.

too far for me to drive, I only stay in range of AAA towing sevice:squirrel:

too far for me to drive, I only stay in range of AAA towing sevice:squirrel:

Ok, I get it. The Boonies are too far. (What a shame) Still, for those just learning to drive in a controlled high performance environment (and otherwise) here's the book I received from one of our ace drivers @Nix years ago:

Amazon product
View: https://www.amazon.com/How-Drive-Instruction-Advice-Hollywoods/dp/1452145296/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=How+to+drive&qid=1555210069&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Still can't imagine a better gift. @Nix... we know you're alive, where are you?!

so far $15 bucks I can learn how to get a speeding ticket, better get a radar detector. I didn't say don't drive fast just stop hitting my mail box, it has been run over twice in a year, luckily insurance bought a new one twice that's close to $600. I got the one that swings away-just don't hit the pole.:bananapop:

so far $15 bucks I can learn how to get a speeding ticket, better get a radar detector. I didn't say don't drive fast just stop hitting my mail box, it has been run over twice in a year, luckily insurance bought a new one twice that's close to $600. I got the one that swings away-just don't hit the pole.:bananapop:

this happened two times in six months, the old mail box was there maybe 15 years. But your right the insurance shouldn't have to pay but the driver of the car, but in a way the driver did pay for the mail box because you have to have insurance here for $50,000 of property damage. Maine is rated last place in driving according to insurance company's-and they know 100% for sure:hyper::bananawhipdance::bananasplit:

Back