new brakes for 9thgen Si coupe?

Nickb103

Hello all. Hoping somebody with knowledge of great braking systems for the 9th gen Si can chime in and help a fellow member out. Quite curious to know who favors which system/brand etc. I’m currently in the searching stage so price at the moment is irrelevant. I have a red Si coupe with black rpf1’s so I want red calipers (My only preference for the future set). If anybody swears by or recommends anything all opinions welcome. I’m hoping the community can help me learn more along the way as this site already has! Thank you all in advance

What do you plan to use the kit for?

Stoptech, Buddy club Brembo and wilwood all have red caliper options. I have been looking at the stoptech big brake kit and buddy club kit for my SI. I am using Stoptech standard rotors and pads right now and I like them.

What are you specifically looking for? A lot can be achieved by using a different brake fluid and pad. Are you tracking your car, or what are your intentions?

What do you plan to use the kit for?

Stoptech, Buddy club Brembo and wilwood all have red caliper options. I have been looking at the stoptech big brake kit and buddy club kit for my SI. I am using Stoptech standard rotors and pads right now and I like them.
And webby - just for daily driving, overtime I’m trying to create somewhat of a modest show car so I want the looks to match performance. I see StopTech and wilwood the most when I search online - wilwood looks good but 3k for front and rear set is absurd. I know what I said about price in first post but damn! Is it worth it buying the components separately? Like stoptech rotor and wilwood caliper or a 367$ Brembo caliper lol? And I have not given a thought about fluid yet I’m due for oil and MTF change my next service so I’ll ask my dealer to bleed brakes for now but webby idk about fluid but I’ve read ceramic ANYTHING is top of the line for brakes???

You can get the Stoptech Touring kit for a touch over $1200 from procivic.com. That's a smaller 4-piston aluminum caliper with a stock-sized (11.8") rotor.
StopTech made the HPD-branded kits for Honda Racing, if that matters to you. They are high-quality.
Just be aware that those eye-catching 4-pot calipers (no matter who makes them) are much wider than your OEM calipers, so you will need wheels with appropriate clearance (or substantial wheel spaces) so that everything will physically fit. I know you stated that you have RPF1s, but without specs I can't say if a BBK will fit behind them or not.
Honestly, if you try mixing-and-matching parts you're creating a huge headache for yourself.

drilled rotors usually end up with cracks near the holes, so I would avoid them. A number of shops will also not service or turn slotted/drilled rotors if you need that down the road.

huge wealth of info about brakes in this thread. Take note of what jrotax101 & nix write in this thread
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/13-civic-si-bbk-advice.14067/

granted the info in that thread is more related to performance at the track & what works. If you're just doing it more for show, then you can clearly buy whatever you think looks good. The pads and brake fluid choices really don't matter then.

You can get the Stoptech Touring kit for a touch over $1200 from procivic.com. That's a smaller 4-piston aluminum caliper with a stock-sized (11.8") rotor.
StopTech made the HPD-branded kits for Honda Racing, if that matters to you. They are high-quality.
Just be aware that those eye-catching 4-pot calipers (no matter who makes them) are much wider than your OEM calipers, so you will need wheels with appropriate clearance (or substantial wheel spaces) so that everything will physically fit. I know you stated that you have RPF1s, but without specs I can't say if a BBK will fit behind them or not.
Honestly, if you try mixing-and-matching parts you're creating a huge headache for yourself.
Yeah I’m sorry bout that have a lot going on in my head, but the wheels are 17x8 offset 45. Tires are Michelin pilot sport 225/45/17 if that matters. And yeah the mismatching definitely a no go than. The input on this site ultimately helps me make these choices so thank you all again. But the new brake setup isn’t really in the near future as the stock system condition is ok, just feel that the rotors are warped. Cuz when I apply the brake I feel a slight but consistent bounce slowing down. Not a big issue but as a new enthusiast it’s hard to ignore. Ive read decent reviews of stop tech but isn’t there a fitment issue with them or pad bedding I think it’s called?

drilled rotors usually end up with cracks near the holes, so I would avoid them. A number of shops will also not service or turn slotted/drilled rotors if you need that down the road.

huge wealth of info about brakes in this thread. Take note of what jrotax101 & nix write in this thread
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/13-civic-si-bbk-advice.14067/

granted the info in that thread is more related to performance at the track & what works. If you're just doing it more for show, then you can clearly buy whatever you think looks good. The pads and brake fluid choices really don't matter then.
THANK YOU. Will check the link out now, by looks I meant the only look I want from the system is the red caliper to match black wheels with the red paint job. So really I could powder coat anything or just buy a system with the red selection. Slotted looks better to me but from a reliability standpoint I’d go with plain. I’ll have better pics soon this is just for reference. Also have D2 rs coils waiting to be installed. Soon as I find someone I can trust to do the job.....

Attachments

• F615484F-66FD-4770-A39A-DC6CA72CE51B.jpeg
    F615484F-66FD-4770-A39A-DC6CA72CE51B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I mean you could have your rotors turned to get rid of the wobble. It doesn’t cost much at all to have a shop do that.

If you’re just after the “red” look, you can paint or powder coat your calipers.

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2012-civic-si-how-to-paint-front-and-rear-calipers.5758/

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/painting-brake-calipers.5549/

I mean you can even do lettering if you want. People usually just get vinyl letters to get a stencil similar to this and paint a second color. If that’s all you’re after, you can do that super cheap yourself.

2DCBF957-BF18-413F-A8DC-53B3A9F0F647.jpeg

I mean you could have your rotors turned to get rid of the wobble. It doesn’t cost much at all to have a shop do that.

If you’re just after the “red” look, you can paint or powder coat your calipers.

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2012-civic-si-how-to-paint-front-and-rear-calipers.5758/

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/painting-brake-calipers.5549/

I mean you can even do lettering if you want. People usually just get vinyl letters to get a stencil similar to this and paint a second color. If that’s all you’re after, you can do that super cheap yourself.

View attachment 59177
Okay so I’m sure I can find a shop near me specializing in brakes and I’ll have to get a couple quotes for the best deal. Essentially I’m just trying to weigh my options for price/effectiveness. Like I said I’m really stupid when it comes to car parts so I may contradict myself here n there. However as far as fitment goes, do any of those who replied or anyone in general have experience with the biggest size rotor to fit a 17 inch wheel? Also the way the stock caliper sits seems it’s already sort of close to the wheel itself and the last thing I wanna do is buy something that’s the wrong size. I think I saw somewhere you need at least .80 or .080 mm of clearance for the caliper to wheel??? Idk, I’ve seen the in depth knowledge this site has to offer so I’m confident anyone can answer these. As for the picture of the Honda caliper is that like a sleeve that fits over it or a cover?

on the oem wheels? Every wheel shape is going to dictate what can clear. Some wheel designs in a 17 will clear, while others won't clear the same caliper setup.

as for the honda caliper, it's just a sticker you apply to the caliper. So, if you wanted white/red like that picture above you'd just need 2 cans of high temp paint. You'd spray the caliper white and let it dry. Stick the honda letters on the caliper and paint the whole thing red. Let that dry and then you peel the honda letters off to reveal the white lettering. Tons of vinyl shops sell stickers like that in various shapes like below
iIRSzvw.jpg

However as far as fitment goes, do any of those who replied or anyone in general have experience with the biggest size rotor to fit a 17 inch wheel? Also the way the stock caliper sits seems it’s already sort of close to the wheel itself and the last thing I wanna do is buy something that’s the wrong size. I think I saw somewhere you need at least .80 or .080 mm of clearance for the caliper to wheel??? Idk, I’ve seen the in depth knowledge this site has to offer so I’m confident anyone can answer these. As for the picture of the Honda caliper is that like a sleeve that fits over it or a cover?
I personally have fit a 12.8" rotor (325mm) rotor inside a 17" wheel using an AP Racing CP8350 caliper and a custom bracket. You can probably squeeze up to 13" but that's about it (unless you go to something super-exotic). Most brake manufacturers will recommend a minimum 3mm clearance all around the caliper (caliper to the inside of the rim barrel, and from the outside of the caliper to the inside of the wheel spokes). Check the picture below - it's not a straight-on shot, but you get the idea. It's pretty darn close, especially when you see how close the stuck-on wheel weights can get.
Aftermarket BBK manufacturers will generally provide a brake template which will allow you to check for proper clearance inside your wheels before ordering their brakes.
c3e6c5e0-d181-4dd4-a983-f345fa46b8f4.large.jpg

Last edited:
where can I get some speed bleeders for the 2013 Honda si and the clutch speed bleeder too? It's l best cheap mod to do on brakes.

where can I get some speed bleeders for the 2013 Honda si and the clutch speed bleeder too? It's l best cheap mod to do on brakes.
Front……SB1010

Rear…….SB8125L

Clutch….SB8125L

When ordering Speed Bleeder, consider also ordering the Bag and Hose Combo. The bag is like an IV bag. It comes with 30 inches of silicone hose. When one end of the hose is attached to the bag and the other end is attached to the Speed Bleeder, it makes the messy job of bleeding brakes neat and clean. The hose and bag are reusable.

Speed Bleeder is also available in 303 Stainless Steel. The stainless steel bleeder will never rust or corrode and is polished to a brilliant gloss for the custom look. To order the stainless steel version go towww.speedbleeder.com click on “Secure Ordering” at the top of the order page you will see a selection “Stainless Steel”. Click on this heading and all the sizes available in stainless steel will drop down.

Similar picture I’ve posted on another thread, but here’s the closeup of my 17x8 offset 45 rpf1’s and 225/45 Michelin pilot sport a/s3. I think I’m just going to order new OE rotors all 4 corners but it’s difficult finding Oe calipers painted red

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
Back