2013 EX-L oem sway bar upgrade

Dom79

Sorry in advance if this topic has been discussed...

The handling of my 2013 EX-L is really starting to bother me. The rear end feels like its floating in the wind. Its bone stock and I plan on keeping it that way (mostly) so I was thinking about upgrading to the '14 Si sway bars.

From what ive read, the '14 Si RSB would make a noticable difference in body roll... correct me if im wrong but the EX is 18mm? and the Si is 20mm. Would this also help with the feeling of the rear "floating"?

I dont want to throw off the oversteer/understeer so would it be best to upgrade to the '14 Si Front sway bar as well? Im not sure of the sizes of the front. If anyone could chime in it would be greatly appreaciated.

-Dom

If it were me, I would try it with just the rear. If you replace the front as well you may end up with the same amount of understeer that you started with.

I would prefer it if the balance (oversteer/understeer) remained similiar to how it is now. Ive never had an issue with understeer and to be honest, the car has handled very good any time ive had to make an extreme maneuver. I dont track the car and never will. Its my daily driver that the wife drives as well.

Its just a bit too loose for my taste... especially on the highway.

So when you refer to it being "loose" what are you meaning? I'm not sure that the sway bar is gonna take care of that.

The rear feels too loose for me... especially on the highway, it feels a bit drifty/floaty. Even a big gust of wind from the side will push the car too much. It just doesnt feel stable. Its also has too much body roll. Ive learned to deal with it over the years but I would prefer it if it were a bit tighter.

Last edited:
I would look at stiffer lowering springs. The car is still going to “float” with strong side winds or whatever. The springs need to be stiffer and the car lower to the ground to combat what you’re talking about.

Thats what I was afraid of. I was trying to avoid lowering the car or stiffening up the ride too much. I do a lot of driving to and from work and enjoy the ride of the stock suspension (although it does have close to 1̶5̶0̶k̶ 115k on all the original components)

I also dont want to hear my wife tell me that I "ruined the car" :)

Last edited:
Thats what I was afraid of. I was trying to avoid lowering the car or stiffening up the ride too much. I do a lot of driving to and from work and enjoy the ride of the stock suspension (although it does have close to 150k on all the original components)

I also dont want to hear my wife tell me that I "ruined the car" :)

It might be time to replace the dampers if you've got 150k on em. That would definitely account for some floaty-ness.

It's certainly due for a refresh but as far back as I can remember, its always had a bit too much body roll. I was hoping that the upgraded RSB would help out a bit without sacrificing too much ride quality.

Im still unsure if I should replace the springs as well. I dont want to throw money at replacing them if its not necessary.

On a side note... Does anyone know if there is a service interval for our cars that outlines what parts should be replaced at XXX amount of miles?

Ive been meticulous with oil changes, transmission fluid/filters, coolant and tire rotations and do the best I can to take care of the car.

150k on the stock struts/shocks is a lot. Some people replace theirs at 75k miles or so depending on driving conditions and such. 150k and they should definitely be replaced. Stock springs should be fine unless you see cracks or something.

the owners manual should have a maintenance schedule in it explaining when to do fluid changes and service intervals.

150k on the stock struts/shocks is a lot. Some people replace theirs at 75k miles or so depending on driving conditions and such. 150k and they should definitely be replaced. Stock springs should be fine unless you see cracks or something.

the owners manual should have a maintenance schedule in it explaining when to do fluid changes and service intervals.

I dont know why I didnt pick up on this sooner but I mistyped my milage earlier. I only have 115k, not 150. Sorry about that.

Regardless... 115k is still a lot and theyre definitely due for a replacement.

At a glance, the springs look fine. Id imagine that they have settled/compressed slightly over the years which im fine with but do you think theyve softened up or is that not a thing?

Im good with the fluids... I was more concerned with mechanical items such as timing chain, water pump, etc.

there is no schedule for the water pump. I've seen honda civics with 400k on the original pump, and others have said their pump went out at around 100k. There is no schedule they list for replacing it. There isn't any schedule for the chain either. As long as you're doing routine oil changes you should be good for a long time with the chain.

The maintenance items they have listed are on your maintenance minder. You should be getting codes a/b and a number as you drive the car. Those items are listed in the manual that you're supposed to be having checked/replaced.

Your springs should be fine, and they shouldn't settle over time. If you see some weird gap difference between your fender/tire on one wheel, then something is wrong with your springs. Just swap out the shocks/struts and you should notice an improvement in the ride.

Screenshot_2020-09-22 R31313OM PDF.png

Thanks everyone for the feedback

Just to bounce some ideas around...

Seeing as my suspension is due for a refresh and I already planned on going with the rsb from the 2014 Si Sedan... wouldnt it make sense to swap out the fsb at the same time?

Also... Is there a difference between the struts/springs from the 2014 Si sedan vs the 2013 EX-L and if there is, do they fit?

Im thinking that if everything is a direct bolt on then why not go with the better performing setup? I wouldn't mind an OEM+ upgrade

Thoughts?

si suspension is not plug and play with the non-lx. There are bolt sizing differences between the two where adapters are needed. Si springs are also stiffer to account for the heavier engine. Users who've done the swap with adapters have said it actually increased fender gap/ride height. Lx engine is lighter, so the si springs didn't compress or whatever as much. I would leave the front sway alone.

Ok so the struts/springs idea is out but I still have questions in regards to the sway bars.

Here are the numbers. Now afaik, most setups have a heavier sway bar in the front. The EX-L's gross weight is lighter and more importantly is 30lbs heavier towards the front then the Si. Wouldn't putting a heavier RSB in throw the balance off? Wouldn't it make more sense to upgrade the front as well?

j8vwLAU.png

people upgrade the rear to make the car more playful and easier to get the car to rotate in turns ... autox, track and whatnot. It provides less understeer. I have no clue about using the front sway on the si to the lx as a direct bolt on. It may not work, or it may require different hardware as well. I don't recall anyone ever doing it or trying it here. You may have luck talking to paul at college hills. He may know off if it can be done, or what hardware is needed to do it. 1-855-299-7244 Ask for paul in parts.

Back