Trans grind

Zach Terrell

Alamance, NC
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Swapped a RSX type s clutch and flywheel in a few months ago, used Honda mtf to refill. Since the clutch job it’s grinded 3rd on high-ish rpms and sometimes down very low when trying to be quiet (I have the megapower rr catback and Downpipe). Stock slave and master cylinder along with lines. Willing to try different fluid or clutch slave and lines just need a little advice.

Why a type s clutch? Did it grind before you replaced it?

It would occasionally grind on 1st to 2nd like our cars are known for, after the clutch install it went to 2nd to 3rd high or very low rpm. It’s an exedy pressure plate and friction disk kit (bought from Hardmotion) and a eBay type s flywheel, not too sure on year but was told by Hardmotion it’d work no issue with misfire detection disabled. Other than the 2nd to 3rd crunchy-ness I have no complaints on any other gear. Want to save this original trans hopefully.

It would occasionally grind on 1st to 2nd like our cars are known for, after the clutch install it went to 2nd to 3rd high or very low rpm. It’s an exedy pressure plate and friction disk kit (bought from Hardmotion) and a eBay type s flywheel, not too sure on year but was told by Hardmotion it’d work no issue with misfire detection disabled. Other than the 2nd to 3rd crunchy-ness I have no complaints on any other gear. Want to save this original trans hopefully.
Reason for type s clutch kit was the price point. All I had to do with a swap flywheels and it still came out cheaper.

stick with the honda mtf. Others have had bad results with other fluids that were even sent for lab analysis.

I would start with the clutch delay valve if you're having grinding issues (and still have the oem installed). People in that thread have said it makes a huge difference.

stick with the honda mtf. Others have had bad results with other fluids that were even sent for lab analysis.

I would start with the clutch delay valve if you're having grinding issues (and still have the oem installed). People in that thread have said it makes a huge difference.
Thanks web. I’ll unfortunately my slave is so rusted around the clip I couldn’t do the delay valve delete when we did the clutch job like I planned. Hardmotion offers a pre deleted slave for a decent price and they also offer a em1 upgrade which I’ve been considering

k tuned has a master and slave kit with the deletes. Not too expensive. I have it installed and it's a pretty solid product.

Reactions: Dad
k tuned has a master and slave kit with the deletes. Not too expensive. I have it installed and it's a pretty solid product.
I’ve seen a lot of negative reviews on the ktuned kit but praises on the em1 kit. Seems everything’s tit for tat on it.

Definitely delete the CDV as a starting point. No matter the setup. If it is as rusted as you say, buy one. The delete process generally results in injuries even when newish. Stab wounds suck!

Hmmm...I may have a deleted CDV sitting in the garage that I could sell you. I honestly don't even remember what random parts I have left for sale at this point.

@fahnix Did I sell you the deleted CDV?

Hardmotion doesn’t charge too much for a new slave so I’ll order one this week and do the delete, I remember seeing the thread somewhere so I’ll read up again. Would you guys recommend getting a stainless line as well to help with the pressure? I do quick shift it often and occasional pulls with my car group so it takes a fair beating.

Definitely delete the CDV as a starting point. No matter the setup. If it is as rusted as you say, buy one. The delete process generally results in injuries even when newish. Stab wounds suck!

Hmmm...I may have a deleted CDV sitting in the garage that I could sell you. I honestly don't even remember what random parts I have left for sale at this point.

@fahnix Did I sell you the deleted CDV?

I think U sold it to @fahnix. I think I remember bleeding it for him but I could be wrong.
Yup, I've got it installed. But I have the KTuned kit waiting for install, so I'll have a CDV deleted slave available at some point in the future. Probably whenever my clutch goes will be when the master/slave cyls will get installed.

Yup, I've got it installed. But I have the KTuned kit waiting for install, so I'll have a CDV deleted slave available at some point in the future. Probably whenever my clutch goes will be when the master/slave cyls will get installed.
I've still got some parts!

Moog endlinks, front and back. Throttle pedal spacer. Koni yellows and partially modded struts. H&R springs. CAI battery relocate tray.

Not sure what else I have left that you didn't buy.

I've still got some parts!

Moog endlinks, front and back. Throttle pedal spacer. Koni yellows and partially modded struts. H&R springs. CAI battery relocate tray.

Not sure what else I have left that you didn't buy.
Hmm... I might grab the pedal spacer from you. Still undecided if I need it or not.

Back