DIY Resonator Delete (Si Sedan)

Smokeditty

Aviano, Italy
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Here is a DIY for a resonator delete I did on my 2012 Si sedan.

Tools needed:
-Jack
-Jack stand
-4 way lug nut tool
-Socket wrench
-10mm socket
-Flat head screwdriver

1. Loosen lug nuts slightly
2. Jack up car
3. Slide jack stand under and lower car on jack stand (keep slight jack pressure under car, I do this to keep 2 points of contact)
4. Remove wheel
5. Use flat head to gently pry the middle piece of the 2 plastic retainers and fold the flap down. Where the green arrow is pull the little tab out of the wheel well shield
1_G.jpg

6. Gently pry all of the middle pieces from the rest of the retainers in wheel well shield (do not pull out the 3 that are x'd in red). I didn't get a pic but there are 3 more retainers that you need to remove under the bumper. Then fold the shield under the brake disc.
2_G.jpg

7. Remove the 2 10mm bolts
3_G.jpg

8. Remove the 2 retainers from the "snorkel"
4_G.jpg

9. Remove "snorkel" from resonator box
5_G.jpg

10. Remove 10mm bolt hidden behind the plastic piece
6_G.jpg

11. Wiggle resonator out and down
7_G.jpg

12. Here is what's left. Holy ground wires!
8_G.jpg

13. These are the parts you should have left over.
9_G.jpg

14. Replace the wheel well shield and the shield that covers the intake tube.
15. Put tire back on and lower car.

great photos & writeup - thank you for posting :)

Is anyone worried about getting water sucked up through the intake after doing this? I'm just curious, it looks kinda low.

I just did this on my Si Coupe. There were 2 differences I ran into vs. the sedan.

1) The coupe has a phillips head screw near the seam between the bumper cover and front fender, which you have to remove because it holds the liner in place. It has one of those cheap metal clips that pop onto the edge of the liner, and the screw passes through it to the threads on the backside. I wasn't ready for it to be there so it fell when I pulled the liner back, but luckily I saw it land so I didn't lose it.

2) I couldn't get the front of the liner completely free. There's a few different plastic pieces that all meet together under the front bumper/air dam and I assume there were more push-pin fasteners I couldn't see or maybe it sort of "clipped" into something else under there. However it was out of the way enough to still easily maneuver the resonator sections out so I didn't bother trying harder to find where it was still hung up.

That area where the intake is now open really is pretty protected, once the wheel liner is back in place. The first time I drive it in bad rain I'm gong to make sure the air filter and housing aren't wet. Going through deep puddles could be a realistic concern though. However, by my estimation you'd have to be trying to get through about a 10 inch deep puddle to have water reach it.

I feel no power difference but then I expected nothing anyways. I previously popped out the 2 pieces right before the airbox, just to get a feeling for how an aftermarket short ram might sound. I liked it but it was a bit too loud for me, and the noise was sort of "whooshier" (nice word, lol) and more than anything else, just made it sound like the engine was laboring hard. It wasn't a "nice" sound, IMHO, and I didn't intend to leave it long because it was just sucking in under-hood air. Now with those pieces back in, and the resonator removed, I'm very happy with the sound. Not much louder that stock, just a more pleasant, throatier growl in the upper RPMs. I saved everything so it will take me 20 minutes to put the resonator back in place if I decide to.

Hmm, strange I can't go back and edit my post above. I wanted to add that the insides of the resonator are very smooth with nothing to really impeed air flow, other than the direction changes. I highly doubt any measurable power is made by removing it, as much as we'd love to think it does. It just makes it a little nicer to listen to :)

why do you remove resonator? what is resonator for? what do we get from removing it? thanks!

Its there to lower sound levels from the factory. By removing it, you simply here air intake directly from the filter... that's it..

Great DIY post. K&N air filter is a must if you do this. Ive driven threw some heavy rains and puddles. Checked the filter and it was bone dry.
Safe, fun and simple mod.

What do you guys think about doing the res delete if you live in Florida? Where this is no hills and rains a lot.

it's probably 10-12 inches from the ground, so it shouldn't be an issue unless you're driving through a lot of water.

Back