Mother Of All Whore Threads Non-VIP Edition v.1

can you start doing remote support for philly hospitals? im still waiting over a month for my request to get some elevated permissions granted
Can you share what you’re trying to get fixed or bought? That seems pretty bad

Learned something today. Met with my Brazilian teammates and we shared some info with each other. I had a picture with my Acura and said it was equivalent to a Type R. I was told those are like R$300,000 and most of the engineers make less than R$200,000. So context - a Type R is more than the annual salary of a lot of engineers.

Can you share what you’re trying to get fixed or bought? That seems pretty bad
basically i need someone from our informatics team to give me permission to have admin rights on one machine to install a few pieces of software and allow me to use usb ports without forced encryption. Oddly it was way faster and easier for me to spend the money buying the hardware im trying to operate, Tobii Pro Glasses 3 eye tracker

1718670721913.png

Learned something today. Met with my Brazilian teammates and we shared some info with each other. I had a picture with my Acura and said it was equivalent to a Type R. I was told those are like R$300,000 and most of the engineers make less than R$200,000. So context - a Type R is more than the annual salary of a lot of engineers.

Wow.... So you basically told them you are super rich in the States and now they are sad. :sadface:

basically i need someone from our informatics team to give me permission to have admin rights on one machine to install a few pieces of software and allow me to use usb ports without forced encryption. Oddly it was way faster and easier for me to spend the money buying the hardware im trying to operate, Tobii Pro Glasses 3 eye tracker

Oh yeah that won't get done quick here either.... Security Team would need to vet that.

Wow.... So you basically told them you are super rich in the States and now they are sad. :sadface:

We can't all be Rocket Phlebotomists like Foo

He has to live the dream for us!

And by live the dream, I most certainly mean putting an anime sticker on the Acura

PLEASE

IT ONLY HAS TO BE ONE

View attachment 66986
Wow, our admin access is set before you even get the machine -- in fact, we get into trouble if people aren't set as admin on their assigned units.

I wonder what kind of approvals this higher level stuff has to go through -- that does look pretty fancy

we keep everything locked down, anything that requires admin elevation on windows to install requires a IS ticket, any storage you plug into the usb has to be encrypted and registered to the system to work, otherwise the ports are essentially dead. Only way to justify getting around any of it is if you have a business case, or are doing research. Since the project is funded for the next 4 years they cant really say no, but they can drag their heels till i find the right team to approve it

Wow, our admin access is set before you even get the machine -- in fact, we get into trouble if people aren't set as admin on their assigned units.

I wonder what kind of approvals this higher level stuff has to go through -- that does look pretty fancy

Really? Dang. That's crazy to have the end-users as admins... That would never happen here.

we keep everything locked down, anything that requires admin elevation on windows to install requires a IS ticket, any storage you plug into the usb has to be encrypted and registered to the system to work, otherwise the ports are essentially dead. Only way to justify getting around any of it is if you have a business case, or are doing research. Since the project is funded for the next 4 years they cant really say no, but they can drag their heels till i find the right team to approve it

^ sounds like the same thing (minus the USB storage part).

We use SCCM (Software Center) to install the software. The end-user can install whatever they see in there if they wanted but most 'forget' how to get to the Software Center application to find all the software anyways..

For the software to get published in there it has to be 5 or more users using the software. If it's like a one-off thing with only a few (2-3 users) then we install it manually on those devices with our elevated credentials.

For example to just to name one of those one-off situations:
Mercury/Honda/Yamaha boat motor diagnostic software - only installed on 1 laptop for troubleshooting boat engines

But the vendor sent us the software and we (not me - another group that I work with) had to vet it before I was able to manually install it.

@Honda-Fan - I have a new co-worker that is from outside Dallas. He's been in Maryland for like 9 years but still has the twang/accent :giggle:

Not sure if that is sad for them or for us.....I'm leaning on sadder for us.....

By that, I mean that I am assuming that they can live a comfortable life with around $35k - $45k a year and here in the US you are pretty much living paycheck to paycheck on that same amount.

Many many variables but still applies......

quick google search yields that the average yearly income in 2023 is 100,000R(18,500 USD).

Not that I was intending on that. It was just sharing info and had a picture on my profile. Then it turned to how much those cars are here.

The Honda City is super common to see for those of you who know.

By that, I mean that I am assuming that they can live a comfortable life with around $35k - $45k a year and here in the US you are pretty much living paycheck to paycheck on that same amount.
Maybe I'm just not paying attention; but, I can't think of anywhere you can realistically live on $35k-$45k a year in the US these days. Maybe some rural areas, but cost of living has gotten so incredibly high that it just doesn't seem fathomable to me to be able to afford an apartment, basic bills, cell phone, and food (let alone a car, insurance, gas, etc. on top of that). After taxes, that comes out to what, maybe $25k-$35k a year depending on where you live?

Since I like numbers, let's just say after taxes it is $35k/yr; that comes out to about ~$16.83/hr, or $673.20/wk and $2,692.80/mos (or, 4wks). So, making it a round number, that's living off of $2700/mos. Average rent in the US for a 900sq.ft apartment is $1700/mos, leaving the individual with $1000 for everything else. That's not a lot of room for, well, life in general (a car payment on a $20k loan at 6% over 5yrs is about $400). I guess it's doable (more likely without a car), but super tight; potentially easier with a roommate, working spouse/partner, or living with family; but alone, it'd be tough as hell.

Heck, even with the average US salary (based on 2023 Q4 stats in a 3sec Google search) of $60k/yr, I think it would be tough.

Heck, even with the average US salary (based on 2023 Q4 stats in a 3sec Google search) of $60k/yr, I think it would be tough.

I make the average salary ( And sometimes, I splurge and get my hamburgers with cheese)! My 1 bedroom 800 sq/ft apartment is like $1600, and I think the main thing making it even remotely comfortable is that I don't have a car payment. I live close enough to bike to work, so I'm not out in the cold if the Civic fails to start -- but I do definitely have to stay hypervigilant about my car, I don't think I can actually afford another one right now.

I assumed it was lower? Also, I couldn’t imagine living on $60k.
Maybe I'm just not paying attention; but, I can't think of anywhere you can realistically live on $35k-$45k a year in the US these days. Maybe some rural areas, but cost of living has gotten so incredibly high that it just doesn't seem fathomable to me to be able to afford an apartment, basic bills, cell phone, and food (let alone a car, insurance, gas, etc. on top of that). After taxes, that comes out to what, maybe $25k-$35k a year depending on where you live?

Since I like numbers, let's just say after taxes it is $35k/yr; that comes out to about ~$16.83/hr, or $673.20/wk and $2,692.80/mos (or, 4wks). So, making it a round number, that's living off of $2700/mos. Average rent in the US for a 900sq.ft apartment is $1700/mos, leaving the individual with $1000 for everything else. That's not a lot of room for, well, life in general (a car payment on a $20k loan at 6% over 5yrs is about $400). I guess it's doable (more likely without a car), but super tight; potentially easier with a roommate, working spouse/partner, or living with family; but alone, it'd be tough as hell.

I don't know how I did it but I was living on $50k for a while while having a car loan($250ish?) and a mortgage of $1,100, $200 hoa, with then all your other monthly needs and feeding/taking care of a dog($100ish a month).

**** was tight! Super frugal on groceries and barely did anything fun. Funny enough when I starting dating, I could def tell those $50-$70 date nights would add up quick! This was like 10 years ago? maybe a couple less???

I can't imagine doing that now.....

..I can't imagine doing that now.....
I can’t remember spending less than $75 for a “Date Night”. The Wife and I try and go to Dinner a couple times a month and it definitely adds up. Doesn’t help Chicago is terribly overpriced.

Back