DIY 2012 Civic Illuminated Door Sills/Side Steps (4 Door)

As far as the connectors go, all of the lights connect together in a series circuit. Very easy. The circuit ends with two wires (positive and negative). I'm thinking that these two wires just need to connect to the two wires that you showed in your DIY. Do you have any idea which wire (the light blue or light pink) would be the positive and which one the negative?

View attachment 27664

If you want that they light only when the correspondent door is opened, you should run a hot wire to each one and tap the negative end to each door switch, like I have done with my door lights.

Just imagine running a wire across a door, then opening and closing the door. Without a gap for the wire to fit, you'll have trouble closing the door and will eventually break the wire and or ruin the door.
Same thing here. The weatherstripping will get pushed up from the wire, preventing you from opening closing the door properly. Since the weatherstripping has metal in it, you have to remove that metal to allow room for the wire, to keep the wire from breaking, and to open/close the door properly.

I'm unsure which wire is which is which. I don't have my electrical manual anymore.
You could try accessing Honda's Service Express website to look at the electrical schematics. That will cost you $10 though.

Okay. Thanks for the explanation.
Eesh, don't want to give Honda $10 just to know that. I'll just try both ways. One way should work.

If you want that they light only when the correspondent door is opened, you should run a hot wire to each one and tap the negative end to each door switch, like I have done with my door lights.
Seems like a lot of trouble. I think I'll just wire them so they all come on when one, or more, doors are open.

Yes I know, I wax replying to Amomicivic who was suggesting to wire each one individually.

Just curious Pauly...does the kit you bought on eBay have the same connectors as the OEM door sills? If not, you have to run a hot wire at each side of the car anyway and tap each door switch also in order to light them individually or together. Another suggestion is to look for the ground wire that comes from the interior light and tap it, so the sills will iluminate no matter which door you open. In my case, I have done all the wiring, so I will ony have to do a minor work.

I was thinking about to buy one for myself but I am not sure about the fit and how the look. Are they OK?

Just curious Pauly...does the kit you bought on eBay have the same connectors as the OEM door sills? If not, you have to run a hot wire at each side of the car anyway and tap each door switch also in order to light them individually or together. Another suggestion is to look for the ground wire that comes from the interior light and tap it, so the sills will iluminate no matter which door you open. In my case, I have done all the wiring, so I will ony have to do a minor work.

I was thinking about to buy one for myself but I am not sure about the fit and how the look. Are they OK?
They look really good, but I haven't installed them yet.

Hmmmmmm......so I was hoping the wiring would be really simple. All of the 4 sills are connected together in a series circuit and end with a positive and negative wire that needs to be hooked up. Looking at the DIY, I thought that I would just need to connect them to the light blue and pink wires that are shown. I hope it works.

They look really good, but I haven't installed them yet.

Hmmmmmm......so I was hoping the wiring would be really simple. All of the 4 sills are connected together in a series circuit and end with a positive and negative wire that needs to be hooked up. Looking at the DIY, I thought that I would just need to connect them to the light blue and pink wires that are shown. I hope it works.

A series circuit? In order to work, all the door switches have to be wired in parallel so the lights will go on if any door is opened or another solution is to tap the return wire of the interior light.

Can you upload the diagram that came with the sills to take a look at it ?

A series circuit? In order to work, all the door switches have to be wired in parallel so the lights will go on if any door is opened or another solution is to tap the return wire of the interior light.

Can you upload the diagram that came with the sills to take a look at it ?
There was no diagram/instructions with the kit. Here's a diagram for you though.

image.jpg

There was no diagram/instructions with the kit. Here's a diagram for you though.

View attachment 27704
Hi Pauly,

This is a parallel circuit. All the lights go on when you put the negative terminal to ground when you feed 12V to the positive terminal, right?

I suggest that use a tester to check the voltage at the light blue and the pink wires when you open/close each door, because they seems to be the wires that run to the ceiling light (you can check continuity with the connector not in place). Then tap the harness suplied to these wires.

sills10_sized.jpg

Thanks for the help.
Oops, ya you're right..... parallel circuit.
Yes, I'm hoping it will be as simple as just tapping the two wires to the light blue and light pink wires. :)
Just don't know which is positive and negative yet.

Started.

P1030515.JPG

P1030509.JPG

Seems to be less wires in my 2012 LX.

P1030510.JPG

I unplugged it to have better access to take off the electrical tape.

P1030511.JPG

The hopefully magic blue and pink wires. :pray:

P1030514.JPG

Well, I can tell you that the wires in this plug are the ones that control the dome light and map lights. When this harness connector was unplugged none of the mentioned lights worked.
A while ago I recall someone asking where to tie in if he wanted his ambient lights to go on and off like the dome lights. Well, here is the answer to that question.

P1030517.JPG

Back