2012 civic si 2nd gear issues

clash0901

My '12 Si sedan has only 45k miles and second gear is a nightmare. Going in is not a problem but once the car is in second gear after about 5 seconds of driving it pops out and not all the way so it starts grinding.

Help???

UPDATE 01/22/15: I presented my issue to Honda under the factory power train warranty and they want me to first change out the trans fluid with all oem stuff. So I will be doing this in a few weeks and I will report to this thread so keep checking back.

Last edited:
Sounds more like it isn't fully getting into 2nd, and that may be an adjustment issue to get it to go in all the way.
Usually once they are in gear they stay there, unless of course they didn't get all the way in.
Either way take it to the dealer before you wear/round out/off some teeth.
On the other hand, depending on how you've been shifting your car, you could have rounded off some teeth which could be the issue.

Definitely have the dealer witness it first hand on a test drive. Have someone video it happening in your passenger seat as well before taking it in. That way they can see what's happening if it won't occur during their test drive. You'll have video footage of it happening.

Even though you didn't cause it, what I said is still what I think is the issue.
Did you buy it from a Honda dealer, and did they give you any kind of warranty?
In some cases, when ppl own a Si or any type "hot" car, some drive like bad gear jammers........

I bought it from a private party so no warranty. It's a good chance the car was abused because it's all hellaflush and all things improper.

I should mention that if I put even a little pressure on the shifter once it's in second it won't pop out. Even with my pinky. But when I let go it jumps out and grinds until I move it away.

I just looked it up. The car is still within the power train warranty for another 5k miles.

Not looking it up but he's submitting a warranty claim for me to see if Honda will cover 2nd gear under the power train. I don't see why not but all warranty work has to be approved.

Hope everything goes well. BTW any pics of the car? I'm curious

ed6e1b5a0ec7ee7cb18a3e5384eaa2ed.jpg

Too many hard shifts by the previous owner. Your second gear sychronizer is probably shot. Your transmission will need to be rebuilt.

Yea i'm gonna try it. I'm so close to being out of warranty so I think they want to give me a temporary fix. There's a good chance the fluid will help but the issue will come back soon because the gear has been grinding down occasionally.

Yea i'm gonna try it. I'm so close to being out of warranty so I think they want to give me a temporary fix. There's a good chance the fluid will help but the issue will come back soon because the gear has been grinding down occasionally.

You may want to have the fluid analyzed as well.

Back