DIY 2012 Civic Si - How to install CT Engineering Short Shift adapter and CorSport Base Bushings

Squiggy,

Last question, hopefully!

I have read to trim more than is displayed in your picture. That way the cable will not rub the white frame. How much more should I trim and should this cut be straight from front to back? I'd like to do this mod only one time. Thanks!

c22.sized.jpeg

Completed pics

c28.sized.jpeg

Thanks Squiggy!
Do I have to worry about any of the other questions I asked? I would assume no :) since you did not answer them.

How is it holding up? Are you still super happy you did this?

You shouldn't have to worry about anything else. It seems tight, but you will make enough slack while loosening the black piece.

It is holding up just fine still. I am actually going to be taking it back out to run the threads down further and shave part of the top off so I can get the knob to sit lower. Once the weather gets a bit nicer...

Not sure if I said it in this thread or others, but I think this is the first mod everybody should be doing to there Si's! The difference is night and day. Doesn't matter where I said it before, this bears repeating.

I am also now considering cable bushings and a stainless steel clutch line kit.

Last edited:
Squiggy,

I have read to trim more than is displayed in your picture. That way the cable will not rub the white frame. How much more should I trim and should this cut be straight from front to back? I'd like to do this mod only one time. Thanks!

I cut it exactly where you see the line and clearance was fine and I have no problems to date.

You shouldn't have to worry about anything else. It seems tight, but you will make enough slack while loosening the black piece.

It is holding up just fine still. I am actually going to be taking it back out to run the threads down further and shave part of the top off so I can get the knob to sit lower. Once the weather gets a bit nicer...

Not sure if I said it in this thread or others, but I think this is the first mod everybody should be doing to there Si's! the difference is night and day.

I am also now considering cable bushings and a stainless steel clutch line kit.

Yes, you have stated this....
What does the cable bushings do & SS clutch line.
I am a big noob when it comes to cars. Thanks!

Can I use blue loc-tite or do I have to use red? Red is permanent, what if I want to get it off again? If I use several drops of blue on the allen bolts that should be fine don't you think?

Can I use blue loc-tite or do I have to use red? Red is permanent, what if I want to get it off again? If I use several drops of blue on the allen bolts that should be fine don't you think?
Yes blue should be fine. With one or the other you can heat it up to be able to remove the screw

Squiggy,

Please don't take offense to my updates. I was just just trying to share my thoughts and experiences with this awesome DIY that you created for us. I would have never been able to do this without your help.

I used a 5/16" nut driver to (push from the top) the metal bushing out of the rubber bushing. I also used the driver to push the rubber bushing out of the white shifter mechanism. It worked great, no chance of marring the rubber or metal. :)

c25.jpeg

Last edited:
Not a problem at all. Everybody will have slightly different experiences and other perspectives is what will make a good DIY great.

Not a problem at all. Everybody will have slightly different experiences and other perspectives is what will make a good DIY great.
Yup, and whatever works for you is fine.
Like I used snips to just break off pieces of plastic from my shifter lol but it worked!

Yes and no. The picture is deceptive because of the angle. You need to trim back all the way to where the plastic is vertical, there should be no horizontal part at all. I put it together enough to test and had to take back apart and trim more. Trim all the way to the vertical plastic and wider than the picture and you will be fine.

Squiggy,

What is the advantage of the bushings? I don't really see any improvement to be had from swapping them out based on how it all goes together. The short shifter on the other hand is a fantastic upgrade, should have been like this from the factory!

What is the advantage of the bushings? I don't really see any improvement to be had from swapping them out based on how it all goes together. The short shifter on the other hand is a fantastic upgrade, should have been like this from the factory!
I love it and wish I would have done it on my last car. Even though the claim is that it saves 20-25% movement, it seems like a whole lot more. The base bushings have virtually eliminated the play at the end of each shift. It is SOLID.

squiggy, do you know if this piece (circled blue) is a bearing, or is it some kind of plastic or rubber material? More specifically, does it look like this picture of the MTEC pivot ball? Trying to figure out if the MTEC pivot ball fits our shifter mechanism. Their site doesn't mention it, but the mechanism is extremely similar to the DC5, which the MTEC pivot ball does fit.

c20-jpeg.14981

MTECpivotball.jpg

squiggy, do you know if this piece (circled blue) is a bearing, or is it some kind of plastic or rubber material? More specifically, does it look like this picture of the MTEC pivot ball? Trying to figure out if the MTEC pivot ball fits our shifter mechanism. Their site doesn't mention it, but the mechanism is extremely similar to the DC5, which the MTEC pivot ball does fit.

Honestly, I am not sure. I took a close look at the picture and the MTEC pivot ball when you posted this in the other thread and could not come to any sort of conclusion as to whether or not that would be a replacement piece. Comparing it to the other pictures you posted of a similar shifter mechanism, it does appear that is where it would go, though. I will probably be taking the center console apart to run a wire soon. I can take a closer look then.

Last edited:
Back