DIY 2012 Civic Si - How to install CT Engineering Short Shift adapter and CorSport Base Bushings

Request for input:

I will most likely be tearing the center console apart to run a wire in the near future. Are there any additional pictures or angles that this DIY would benefit from? I know the clearance is questioned quite a bit so I will get a better picture of that.

Last edited:
Well if you want, you can include for the sedan, you have to remove a big piece of tubing that I'm guessing runs heat to the backseat

Well if you want, you can include for the sedan, you have to remove a big piece of tubing that I'm guessing runs heat to the backseat

I have a coupe...

Honestly, I am not sure. I took a close look at the picture and the MTEC pivot ball when you posted this in the other thread and could not come to any sort of conclusion as to whether or not that would be a replacement piece. Comparing it to the other pictures you posted of a similar shifter mechanism, it does appear that is where it would go, though. I will probably be taking the center console apart to run a wire soon. I can take a closer look then.
Let me know when you run that wire. I may just buy the pivot ball and see if it fits since I have to install the base bushings anyway and the pivot ball is only $13.

Let me know when you run that wire. I may just buy the pivot ball and see if it fits since I have to install the base bushings anyway and the pivot ball is only $13.

Will do. I will try to get some better pictures and angles for you.

Last edited:
I know I was just saying if you wanted to include a little sidenote for the sedans just stating that you have to remove that piece of heating duct.

Ahhh...If someone could provide a picture that I could add in, that would be great!

Ahhh...If someone could provide a picture that I could add in, that would be great!
When I go in there to do base bushings i'll try to remember to take a picture. Not sure what he's talking about though since I haven't opened it up before, but I have an idea of what it is.

Last edited:
When I go in there to do base bushings i'll try to remember to take a picture. Not sure what he's talking about though since I haven't opened it up before, but I have an idea of what it is.
You'll recognize it, it's a big square tube of plastic to the left of the shifter. It pops in and out easily too

You'll recognize it, it's a big square tube of plastic to the left of the shifter. It pops in and out easily too
Alright, thanks. Sounds similar to what my del Sol had for the vents on the side of the console. I ordered the MTEC pivot ball so when everything gets here (base bushings from Hybrid Racing) i'll be taking it apart.

Last edited:
Alright, thanks. Sounds similar to what my del Sol had for the vents on the side of the console. I ordered the MTEC pivot ball so when everything gets here (base bushings from Hybrid Racing) i'll be taking it apart.

post pics of the hybrid racing base bushings, i want to see how different they are from the corsport ones

post pics of the hybrid racing base bushings, i want to see how different they are from the corsport ones
The sideways positioned bushings is solid I believe, but the larger, horizontally positioned bushing has a spherical bearing to allow for pivoting movement without play. More expensive, but I see the mechanical benefits of having the spherical bearing on a part that is meant to swivel. The OEM rubber bushings are just a cheap way to achieve this movement but sacrifice rigidity and allow the bushing to flex horizontally.

http://www.hybrid-racing.com/products/hr-shifter-bushings/

Last edited:
As promised, here are pics of the air duct on the sedan. It's very easy to remove, you just grab the lower end of the duct and lift up as if the upper end is a hinge, and then pull out the upper end in the downward direction.

This step just basically has to be done before you can access the two base bushing bolts towards the front of the car.

IMG_1396.jpg IMG_1397.jpg IMG_1398.jpg

Last edited:
How can you gauge the amount of play if you have nothing to compare it to?

Being fairly intelligent helps ;) When the car is in any gear, don't have any excess play in the shifter. I actually checked it after seeing this thread just out of curiosity. My initial question of the benefit of the bushings wasn't because I doubted they provided any improvement, but rather what was improved. Based on your response, I checked for play at the end of each shift and found none. I don't need to install a product to feel the difference if I know what the difference is supposed to be, although I'm sure the companies selling them would appreciate it.

The play isn't in the shift lever itself. It is in the movement of the whole base unit, which there is some due to the stock bushings being a fairly soft rubber. I have yet to read about someone saying that they haven't noticed a difference after the install. It really does make it feel more solid.

But hey, your car and your money.

I assumed that, based on the location that the parts install...i understand the concept and why it would be beneficial in general, but since I don't have any play to begin with, that led me to ask the question. Maybe I got the Wednesday built car and got lucky, who knows, that's why I initially asked.

Back