DIY 2012 Honda Civic SI Sedan Rear Eibach Sway Bar Install

Royce

2012 Honda Civic SI Sedan Rear Eibach Sway Bar Install

Difficulty of install: 2/5
Part fitment quality: A+
Enjoyment and noticeability of handling increase: B , I notice the rear end feels far better. I am excited to see more suspension aftermarket products hit the market.

Tools Required:

-14mm Short well socket
-Small flat head screwdriver "something to remove clips"
-Preffered wratchet of choice " I like my craftsman 3/8 and 3/8 electric Impact"
-12mm socket
-10mm socket
-Jack
-Jack Stands
-Wheel Chalks
-Bolt tray/Cubby
-Light if needed

1. Check product to ensure all parts and hardware are included and nothing is damaged.

IMG_2665.jpg

2. Chalk the front wheels

IMG_2690.jpg

4. Set up required lighting

IMG_2669.jpg

3. Jack the car up from the rear tow hook. And place jack stands where needed for safety.

IMG_2670.jpg

4. Remove rear undercover, 3 10mm and 4 clips I believe. And set aside.

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2681.jpg

5. Remove the black brace thats runs under the gas tank, there are 3 14mm Bolts and remove 10mm bolt from exhaust shield towards front of the undercover to allow ease for getting the bracket out, also it is tabbed towards the rear, so remove from front side tilting it down then pull it out. It's a little difficult to get out but wedge in the right ways and pull down on the mid-pipe and heat-shield and it will come out, after removal set aside.

2 Rear 14mm bolts and one front "Pic of rear"
IMG_2675.jpg

"Front"

IMG_2677.jpg

10mm bolt on heat shield

IMG_2679.jpg

IMG_2680.jpg

6. Remove 14mm bolts from endlink's at end of sway. 1 14mm bolt on each side.

IMG_2672.jpg

7. Remove bushing bracket's from sway bar, two twelves on each side. For the driver side top 12mm bolt use a short well 12mm with a ratchet.

IMG_2678.jpg

8. Remove sway bar and set aside"compare to new one, wow what a difference!"

IMG_2683.jpg

9. Remove old bushings out of the bushing bracket and install new bushing's in the bracket, make sure to lube the with the lube provided and then install on the new sway bar.

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

10. Install in reverse order ensuring not to damage any clips or parts and make sure not bend the endlinks, Use the upper endlink bolt holes for a stiffer support if that's what you desire. "I do"

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2688.jpg

IMG_2689.jpg

Enjoy!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure this is the 8thgen sway bar..

Eibach Rear Sway Bar
http://www.procivic.com/pages-product_car_part_info/category-69_177/product-1358/index.html
We have test fitted this Eibach part and it works great. It is a bolt-on installation for the 2DR and 4DR Si. Although Eibach does not officially list this part, I'm sure they will once they have time to test fit it themselves. The rear sway bar is the more important than the front for this Civic, in our opinion. It will help tremendously with turn in, rotation, and overall handling. The factory one is just not big enough. There is really no downside to this modification! The DX/LX/EX models should all work as well, although it is a different application than the Si and requires a hardware kit (which we include). We have not tested every trim level, but to our knowledge it should work on all of them.

LOL THX BREH, Ya it's for the 8th, But is also listed for the 9th. So both In a way I guess.

The change is freaking awesome, gave me a little to much confidence in some corners tho, slid out the rear a little bit a couple times on some high speed corners. Hella fun tho!

Question, you said that the upper hole for the end link would make for a stiffer sway bar. Wouldn't it be the opposite? The lower hole would shorten the moment arm making it harder for the link to twist the bar? (less leverage on it)

I installed my the rear bar this weekend, and I can say, at least too me..I really feel a fairly large difference. Much much better. So happy I went this route. Took me about 20 minutes from jack up to jack down.

Question, you said that the upper hole for the end link would make for a stiffer sway bar. Wouldn't it be the opposite? The lower hole would shorten the moment arm making it harder for the link to twist the bar? (less leverage on it)

I am under the impression myself, since a sway bar acts as a torsion bar then; the further the hole is away from the inside bar the more leverage you will have to twist the bar. So I would think that the inner hole is the stiffer setting, but I do know that it can vary from bar to bar company. I used the inside hole myself and man what a difference.

However, I am going to call eibach tomorrow just to confirm. I will report back what they say.:confused:

first off, great writeup! nice pics, definitely a good in depth DIY! props on the part (i want it b/c the color matches my ROP sedan haha)

my once concern though is, not sure if this is the same on the civic or not, but on my WRX i was required to install the rear sway with a load on the suspension (as in, i could install everything but not tighten the brackets/endlinks, then i had to lower to the ground to load the suspension and crawl under to tighten the bolts)
i'm wondering if this is the same on the civics for a proper install?

ps. noted WRX in the background , props to that too ; )

hmm...is the front bar needed? wondering if I would need to get both. I never messed with aftermarket suspensions before. Also, would a stiffer setting make sense for someone like me who just wants the car to be tighter through the corners...i don't track any of my vehicles.

Back