2012 si sedan middletown NY

mongoose221

middletown, NY
hey all,

was a former member on the 8th with my 2010 FG2, which i did a 3.15" CTE supercharger on with the help of many forum guys who helped me through it!

i made a mistake, sold my baby for a 2011 WRX hatch (that i worked also) thinking I'd love the power and AWD... well I didn't (hindsight is 20/20 though, right?)

traded her in on a 2012 sunburst orange pearl SI sedan, picking it up this afternoon (in 2.5 hours woot!!)
i'll post pics as soon has I have them : )

Welcome...any specifics you didn't like about the suby? Looking forward to seeing your 9th

ill copy and paste over my review (wall o'text) from the other 9th gen forum.
basically the subaru had the straight line power and the limit handling with the AWD, but daily handling felt "heavy" and the transmission/clutch was awful (even with upgrades done to it).

If I were to compare the three (2010 coupe, 2011 wrx hatch, and my incoming 2012 sedan) on a basis of 0-10, with 10 being best, 0 being worst, FOR THEIR PRICE (ie. giving a wrx 10/10 for acceleration is 10/10 for the price bracket) it would look something like this:

2010 Si Coupe:
styling - 8/10 (subjective)
comfort - 7/10 (seat/steering wheel position)
interior ergonomics - 8.5/10 (everything was in great position, lots of console storage)
handling (daily driving/normal) - 8.5/10
handling (back roads/fast) - 8.5/10
acceleration - 7/10
shifting/clutch - 10/10
comfort features - 7/10 (sunroof/stereo system/etc)
utility/usage - 5/10 (narrow trunk opening, narrow passthrough, horrible to get items/people into and out of rear seat)
maintenance/cost of upkeep -9/10 (again this is for THIS price bracket of small sporty cars)
total: 78.5 / 100

2011 WRX hatch:
styling - 9/10 (subjective)
comfort - 5.5/10 (steering wheel is meh, suspension is rock hard and uncomfortable)
interior ergonomics - 7/10 (solid reach for everything, but zero storage)
handling (daily driving/normal) - 7/10 (felt heavy in normal driving)
handling (back roads/fast) - 9/10 (AWD is sticky as fawk)
acceleration - 10/10 (NOTHING under 30k comes close)
shifting/clutch - 5/10 stock (7/10 modified short shifter/bushings) stiff and difficult to shift, poor clutch uptake and too heavy
comfort features - 3/10 (no sunroof, AWFUL stereo, no fogs, poor interior lighting options, seats were meh)
utility/usage - 10/10 (hatchback versatility, AWD)
maintenance/cost of upkeep - 6/10 (expensive oil changes, expensive maintenance, awful gas mileage)
total: 71.5 / 100

2012 Si sedan (these numbers are gleaned from test drives and other reviews online)
styling - 8.5/10 (personally i think the 9th gen is a visual upgrade from the 8th)
comfort - 7.5/10 (0.5 point upgrade for improved headroom from coupe)
interior ergonomics - 8.5/10 (i liked where everything was, though had less sorage than the 8th gen, but improved visibility)
handing (daily driving/normal) - 8.5/10
handling (back roads/fast) - 8.5/10 (going with same #'s, feltgood on test drives, and reviews say its about equiv to 8th gen)
acceleration - 8/10 (most reviews have it same as 8th, but smoother and feels better with tq, and i agree on my drives)
shifting/clutch 10/10 (id go higher if i could haha)
comfort/features - 8/10 (same as previous civic, though the i-mid is a nice change)
utility/usage - 8/10 (4 doors and a trunk ftw)
maintenance/cost of upkeep - 9.5/10 (giving a 0.5 upgrade over 8th gen due to the slight fuel econ increase)
total: 85/100

overall solid upgrade, and yes it's a speed compromise from my WRX, but I know I'm going to love it.

(sorry for not editing the prev post, it wouldn't let me, internet was failing)

View attachment 2973

that's all for now, pain to upload from this tablet
Nice comparison mongoose221. I like hearing from someone who has owned and driven all three vehicles and can give a true summary. I like all three vehicles but haven't owned/driven a Suby. I've driven an 8th gen Honda Civic Si. I own a 9th gen Civic Si coupe and love it. My previous car was an '03 Civic Si coupe.

thanks jonny. props on the handle, sex pistols ftw : )
tried to give a good, fair comparative study on them.
no doubt the subie is the king off the line, and out of corners with that torque.
but just the overall "feel" of the si fits me better, i donno, maybe i am biased, but i have no regrets either.
i'm glad i owned the WRX, it gave me a good idea of what turbos can do, and the AWD sticky was definitely a plus at
limit handling, but in everyday driving i just didn't see any benefit, and i rarely "take it to the limit" (eagles song ftw)

I'm glad we could save you! LOL Car looks great...look forward to seeing more updates

thnk you : )
"saved me" haha... anyway... i'm going out of town for a couple of days, taking my gf and her son up to lake george NY (3 hour road trip) to go camping for a couple of nights on the lakefront!!
i'll get that posted over once im back, hope you guys have a great couple of days!!

thanks jonny. props on the handle, sex pistols ftw : )
tried to give a good, fair comparative study on them.
no doubt the subie is the king off the line, and out of corners with that torque.
but just the overall "feel" of the si fits me better, i donno, maybe i am biased, but i have no regrets either.
i'm glad i owned the WRX, it gave me a good idea of what turbos can do, and the AWD sticky was definitely a plus at
limit handling, but in everyday driving i just didn't see any benefit, and i rarely "take it to the limit" (eagles song ftw)
All I know is compared to my '03 this new car is awesome!
I've only had my '12 coupe for just over two weeks now and I absolutely love this car. Now keep in mind that I also get very attached to my cars. It's like having a new GF! LOL
I love the way it sounds (although I'm gonna do the K&N SRI) I love the handling (Eibach sport springs and sway bars when they are out. I love the look of lowered cars!!)) the transmission is great (I'm thinking of doing the short shifter) I like the new look, the power of the 2.4L is great etc, etc....
I also really enjoy 9thcivic.com! Amazing amount of info and nice to chat to people who are car crazy like me :woowoo:

Back