Super Mod
VIP Member
Toys For Tots
Alexandria, VA
Vehicle Model
Generation X
Body Style
Dad
Just wanted to show everyone what the 2013 Civic's rearview camera looks like. This is a genuine Honda part for the Sedan w/navigation (39530-TR3-A01) that I purchased from CHH.
I intend to retrofit the camera onto my 2012 Civic Si Sedan and post a DIY article in the future, although it may take awhile since Honda has yet to make the schematics and diagrams available.

In the meantime, enjoy.

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg

2013-honda-civic-ex-l-coupe-rear-view-camera-photo-489561-s-520x318.jpg

Above photo shows it installed on a 2013 Coupe.

Civic-Modulo-08.jpg
Above photo shows the area where the camera is supposed to be installed (none installed in photo); the center spot beneath the emblem and between the license lights.

saw it first hand tonight... have to say I'm excited to see how this progresses

No way I'd have the confidence to tackle a job of retro fitting, don't have big enough balls to even try, I know I'd mess something up!

• Staff
The physical retrofit shouldn't be difficult at all, but it's determining whether or not it's even possible using the existing software on a 2012 i-Mid and/or Navigation is the real question I can't answer yet.

The camera assembly comes apart with four screws. Lining that up with the rear trunk piece (which is all plastic) shows that it should fit just fine, although will take drilling a hole and applying some sort of adhesive to adhere it to that piece.
Drilling a small hole to allow the cable into the trunk shouldn't be an issue either as long as you have touch-up paint since all of it will be virtually hidden behind that trunk piece.

The pictures below will give you a vague sense of where I'm going with it.

006a.jpg007a.jpg009a.jpg
2013-honda-civic-ex-l-coupe-rear-view-camera-photo-489561-s-520x318-jpg.7068

The physical retrofit shouldn't be difficult at all, but it's determining whether or not it's even possible using the existing software on a 2012 i-Mid and/or Navigation is the real question I can't answer yet.

The camera assembly comes apart with four screws. Lining that up with the rear trunk piece (which is all plastic) shows that it should fit just fine, although will take drilling a hole and applying some sort of adhesive to adhere it to that piece.
Drilling a small hole to allow the cable into the trunk shouldn't be an issue either as long as you have touch-up paint since all of it will be virtually hidden behind that trunk piece.

Do you think it would it be possible to use the insert for the plate light and mount it in the center? It seems like it would be quite the sore thumb as shown in the pic on the coupe above.

• Staff
Do you think it would it be possible to use the insert for the plate light and mount it in the center? It seems like it would be quite the sore thumb as shown in the pic on the coupe above.
That won't work. Let's assume that it would just clip on with ease (which it won't)...then the camera will be pointing straight up instead of horizontally.
The only way you're going to hide it completely is doing a 2013 trunk swap, which then assuming that the trunk even fits, you'd have to swap out the bumper, tail lights, etc.
The direction I'm going is towards a relatively simple retrofit that anyone can do; and at worst, you'll screw up the trunk piece and have to replace it for the low price of $60.

Cool. Keep us posted as I am curious if it works with the 2012 model of the Navi.

Subscribed..... can't wait to see if it is recognized by the I-mid. Someone else on here had their dash apart and mentioned there was an input on the '12 for a backup camera. If it's like most any modern OS, it should be universal plug n' play. Are you building your own harness for the camera? 8 conductor>?

Subscribed..... can't wait to see if it is recognized by the I-mid. Someone else on here had their dash apart and mentioned there was an input on the '12 for a backup camera. If it's like most any modern OS, it should be universal plug n' play. Are you building your own harness for the camera? 8 conductor>?
I'm waiting for Honda to release the schematics and diagrams for the 2013 so that I can determine whether or not I can purchase a prefabricated harness or if I will have to build my own.

I'm waiting for Honda to release the schematics and diagrams for the 2013 so that I can determine whether or not I can purchase a prefabricated harness or if I will have to build my own.

Be cool if somebody makes a wireless version so wouldn't have to tear the car apart.

Have you looked at the CRV wiring diagram for its camera setup? There already is a diagram posted on the forums for the connector at the i-mid screen. If we can see an electrical diagram for the tailgate in the CRV then that should give us some info for us to possibly wire it up like Honda would have done. I don't mind making my own harness. Although I'd like to replicate Honda's wiring schematic as close as possible.

I assume the wiring is the same as CRV camera setup. However I have not verified or tested this information.

It is known that connecting three wires to the i-mid (video signal, video ground and reverse signal sense) makes the reverse camera work on 2012 Civics. I used your pictures and the CRV i-mid diagram to come up with the following information for the Civic Camera Connector. It looks like there is a shielded cable with five wires (not including shield) running back to the i-mid for Civics without navigation. According to the CRV diagram the two remaining Blue and Brown wires are not inside the shielded cable. The brown cable I think is not ran from the trunk but instead it might be connected to somewhere under the dashboard. Although I don't know why there is a brown cable in the wiring of the camera. The blue wire I think is only used in Civics with navigation. In the pictures above I can't see the label with the part number of the camera. Jasonandre, is this the navigation equipped multi-view camera?

Row 1
Camera i-mid (pin and description)
Grey A2 shield for white, green, red, yellow, black
Green A4 or A18 (Probably ground but could be mode select)
Red A19 Video Signal
Black A21 Control Signal

Row 2
Camera i-mid (pin and description)
White A3 Ground
Yellow A20 Power source
Blue A15 Mode select
Brown A14 (At least on i-mid it detects reverse signal from reverse relay circuit)

Back