2013 Si Rim Pitting

I have the same issue going on with my 2012 Si wheel cap. And I noticed it around the time I changed my tires to winter tires (along with the scratches around the face of the rims from the idiot body shop that installed them).

What would that have to with changing tires, out of curiosity (I'm legitimately interested, because I figured it was premature wearing myself!)
Whenever you have to remove tires from alloy rims you risk the chance of damaging the the finish of the rim and even the tire. Newer tire changers minimize this. All balancers have a large threaded rod that goes through the center of the wheel (as do some older style changers). Its very easy to rake the center hole of the rim over the threads - especially with larger, heavier tires. Its an awkward, blind lift that's hard on the lower back to get them on the balancer. Once on the balancer, the wheel is held in place with a cup or cone - these can also potentially damage the face or center hole of the rim. The center caps should be popped out from behind when possible as prying can also cause damage. I always run winter rims and tires.

Last edited:
You guys that are pitting,do you drive where here is winter weather with salt used on the roads? Probably the reason it's pitting,I remember it happening when I was forced to drive my fiero one winter because my winter cars motor blew up,my factory rims pitted( all 4). Pontiac did replace them for free but it was back in 1985.

Yes, the dealer has rotated the wheels every time I have gone for service. I did drive the rims through winter but was meticulous in pressure washing car every week or so depending on conditions...Anyways, from what Webby has shown, I will probably be covered...i hope.

Last edited:
Rotating wheels would not cause that. That just involves taking the lug nuts off and moving the tires to a different position on the car.

I'm thinking it's a defect in that particular wheel. There are others in the forum who drive their stock wheels in the winter. I'm sure one of them will chime in if they are seeing the same on theirs.

Either way you should be covered under warranty.

Rotating wheels would not cause that. That just involves taking the lug nuts off and moving the tires to a different position on the car.
I can't speak for every Honda dealer, but I've work for a few over the years and whenever we have rotated tires, we have always balanced the two that go to the front - saves headaches later.

This is why I keep fresh coats of Plastidip on my rims. 20k miles and they're still brand new underneath. Might be a good idea for up north in the winter months. Keeps the salt, sand, and grime off of your nice clearcoated wheels.

I first noticed the pitting on my 2012 stock Si wheels in the spring. Same spot as @Shu. Had the car for 6 months at the point.

I have one wheel doing the same. I mentioned it to the dealer and they said it looked like they got damaged when the center caps went in. I didn't push it since I was putting my HFPs on but I might try to get it replaced when I go for my next oil change so they are all the same.

I'll post the results.

Just like the title states. I have my rear wheels pitting around the circular honda emblem. Car has about 40K on it..A big WTF to honda... Anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it etc.? I rememebr my old Accord Hybrid had a similar issue but after like 267K... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Shu
My rims and center caps pitted at about 4,ooo miles, dealer replaced all four rims and caps. About two months later center caps again pitted. Dealer again replaced caps. Wheels had never been touched till dealer changed them out.

Sounds like a manufacturing issue if this many users are all having the same spot with problems.

I wonder if I can get them to replace mine with 2013 wheels? I like the black on them.

Is the center cap metal?

I'm not doubting that the cap being removed improperly or the wheel being placed on a balancer isn't chipping the finish but.....

If the center cap is metal and the wheel is metal, probably both aluminum, there is the potential for galvanic corrosion or galling. If the cap is plastic then ignore this but I just don't have one to go look at.

Galling is caused by the oxides of two similar materials rubbing together, pressure makes it much worse. Chrome on chrome, aluminum on aluminum, titanium on titanium. This could be the cause of the pitting. Also im sure the center cap holds a little bit of water right in that groove which could also be accelerating the process.

Is the center cap metal?

I'm not doubting that the cap being removed improperly or the wheel being placed on a balancer isn't chipping the finish but.....

If the center cap is metal and the wheel is metal, probably both aluminum, there is the potential for galvanic corrosion or galling. If the cap is plastic then ignore this but I just don't have one to go look at.

Galling is caused by the oxides of two similar materials rubbing together, pressure makes it much worse. Chrome on chrome, aluminum on aluminum, titanium on titanium. This could be the cause of the pitting. Also im sure the center cap holds a little bit of water right in that groove which could also be accelerating the process.

You sound like an engineer! Maybe you should get a job with Honda! ;)

Lol, there's a sore subject! hahaha....I have a degree but no work. Been too long since I graduated to get one now. It's just a nice whoop-*** stick when I need it. Also I can get into management or get a masters since I have it.

I think all of the honda caps I've messed with were plastic.

Lol, there's a sore subject! hahaha....I have a degree but no work. Been too long since I graduated to get one now. It's just a nice whoop-*** stick when I need it. Also I can get into management or get a masters since I have it.

Go get a PhD and join the professorship ranks!

Back