22 maps on how to pronounce

TIL: I don't talk like much of my area, and almost everyone mispronounces "Bowie" and "syrup."

Dar-Dar...how do you not know what a hoagie is?! You do live in NJ where there are Wawa's. They call all their sandwiches hoagies.

I don't live near a Wawa. Lol. I live in North Jersey. ~15 miles from NYC.

Here in FL I occasionally hear words synonymous to the words I regularly use, but here it is mostly Subs (rather than hoagies) or Gyros (seems to be a lot of Greek food in Tampa), and Soda (not pop). We call things what they are, not regional slang or nicknames for things. It's weird. I think it's because so many people are not from FL originally, or their parents or grandparents weren't, etc., that it's a very diverse melting pot down here and most people that grow up here just call things what they are since no one wants to call things by 5 different names unless they happen to hear it that way at a specific place (such as Wawa selling hoagies... I call it a sub but when I go to Wawa I recognize the fact they call it a hoagie).

Last edited:
It's just like everyone using the words starbucks wants us to use.

I want a medium coffee please. I have no idea what a grande dark roast or venti blonde is. (I know but im just sayin)

My pronunciations are way out from where I was born(here), as a kid I'd go to Jersey and S Philly for a month in the Summer, then about 10 years in the military(the peeps in there with me, plus the countries I lived in). Also as I grew up I liked to mimic accents, I love to guess where ppl are from by listening to them.

This is a fun Thread, thx.

FAPPY might've heard this, but if people pronounce Missouri as "miz-ur-ah" i automatically think less of them. Theres no A in MISSOURI!!

Lol that is all fairly accurate. People do refer to subs as hoagies around here, for whatever reason.

I had fun with a friend of mine from Detroit, I'd always say DEtroit, pizzed him off to no end, why I haven't a clue...... I have more ppl that mispronounce MY last name, and even that doesn't bother me. But since I like to copy other dialects, I have to be able to take it as well.

Not sure if any of you guys have ever heard of the "Cul de Sac" which means a dead end? We use this in Canada.
When I moved here and learned French I was so amazed to learn that the direct tranlation of this means "*** of the bag". So your at the bottom part of a bag......turn around!
The correct pronucication is "Kue de sack".......not "Kull de sack" as I used to say.

Another bad pronunciation of French words is the liquor called Creme de menthe. This should be pronounced "Krem de mount" not "Krem de Menth"

Not sure if any of you guys have ever heard of the "Cul de Sac" which means a dead end? We use this in Canada.
When I moved here and learned French I was so amazed to learn that the direct tranlation of this means "*** of the bag". So your at the bottom part of a bag......turn around!
The correct pronucication is "Kue de sack".......not "Kull de sack" as I used to say.

Another bad pronunciation of French words is the liquor called Creme de menthe. This should be pronounced "Krem de mount" not "Krem de Menth"

So when do we get into the different dialects of Canadian French?

Back