DIY ADExternal's 2012 Honda Civic Reverse Backup Camera DIY

So I hooked the yellow (actually green in my case) wire from my RCA cable to Pin #19, and the red and black wires inside the RCA cable are hooked to nothing. When I put car in reverse, it switches to reverse camera, but the video feed looks like crap. Don’t know if it’s because the camera is garbage, or if my red and black wires within the RCA cable need to be hooked to something.

I took a picture of my video feed, and interestingly, my phone makes the video feed look way better than it does in real life. In reality, the feed is real dark, and so far my backup camera is unusable due to the poor quality feed.

so I went back and started to read the first few pages of the thread, because it's been ages since I've looked at it -

It' not thouroughly explained as to what I do with the stripped RCA cable. I have 3 wires sticking out.. IDK what to connect them to.

During the strip/prep part, its says that the third red wire is ignored, one is ground, the other is vid. Those two will connect to the wires running to the front as video feed. And of course the RCA male end is connected to the yellow RCA female end that is coming out of the camera. If you look at the diagram, it reassures you to do so as well.

@Pauly99to17 did this diy and was online yesterday. Maybe he can also chime in on the last few posts in the thread regarding the rca wiring / extra 22 gauge wire in the "needed items".

so I went back and started to read the first few pages of the thread, because it's been ages since I've looked at it -

@Pauly99to17 did this diy and was online yesterday. Maybe he can also chime in on the last few posts in the thread regarding the rca wiring / extra 22 gauge wire in the "needed items".
Ah, ok, guess I missed that part in the 20+ page thread. Thanks for sharing. So I need to connect the black wire in my RCA cable to ground then. Probably explains why my video feed looks like crap.

Ah, ok, guess I missed that part in the 20+ page thread. Thanks for sharing. So I need to connect the black wire in my RCA cable to ground then. Probably explains why my video feed looks like crap.
Looks like the rca ground (black) goes up to pin 18. Since he said the rca “video” (yellow or green in your case) and ground go to the “front”.

1665018709645.jpeg

Ok, so the ground from my camera (not the black wire inside my RCA cable) is currently in pin #18. I took the black ground wire from inside my RCA cable and stuck it into pin #3 (labeled as CAMERA_V_GND) and that cleaned up my picture significantly.

Ok, so I wired up my red power wire as shown in the wiring diagram at the bottom right. When reverse lights are on, power goes to Pin #14 telling iMid to pull up the camera feed, while the reverse light wire is simultaneously powering up the camera. However, when I went into the secret menu, the camera feed was dead if I wasn’t in Reverse. So in Park, Neutral, or Drive, no camera feed in secret menu.

Made sense. Reverse lights aren’t on, therefore the camera is not being powered up. I fixed this by redoing my power wiring, and running an additional wire that connected the camera’s red positive wire to Pin #20 at the iMid, which is labeled CAMERA_VCC. Pin #20 now powers up the camera whenever the iMid is looking for the video feed from the camera. So now I can be driving down the highway and look at the camera feed from the secret menu if I want to.

Pin #14 at the iMid still has a wire running back to my wire tap at the reverse light, letting the iMid know whenever the car is in Reverse.

Attachments

• 1665202456456.png
    1665202456456.png
    415.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back