DIY ADExternal's iMid Player/RCA Add On

ADExternal

Lvl: 99 Modifier
Houston, Tx
Vehicle Model
Civic Ex
Body Style
Coupe
9thcivic.com may or may not endorse various DIY projects, all DIY projects are purely "at your own risk". If you are at all uncomfortable or inexperienced working on vehicles (especially electronics and mechanical), please reconsider doing the job yourself. It is possible on any DIY to damage your car, void your factory warranty, disable a safety feature, create a hazardous condition, or harm or even kill yourself or others. Examples would be the vehicle failing on you, getting an electric shock, or disabling an airbag etc.

Your dealer or mechanic, or professional audio shop may provide services (and a warranty) for any DIY job posted on these forums. Sometimes, it’s just better to pay to have it done.

So after developing several wiring schematics, I finally finished one for anyone that already did my Reverse Backup Camera DIY. For those who didnt do that DIY but still want the RCA Add on, I will be posting another wire layout. For now, I'll just post the layout for anyone that wanted to do it first and ill do the actual DIY later. Im really busy at the moment with other matters as usual.

Imid Add On Schematic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish you could come hook this up for me, seems a little too complex :/ I'm not going to try it

Very cool....wish I could understand the diagram more clearly.....I'm such a noob that I would need a legend for what the wire colours signify and the symbols mean etc.

I also like to see arrows of the current to help me figure things out..... Like I said, I'm a noob.

Very cool....wish I could understand the diagram more clearly.....I'm such a noob that I would need a legend for what the wire colours signify and the symbols mean etc.

I also like to see arrows of the current to help me figure things out..... Like I said, I'm a noob.

The upside down tree looking symbol always denotes ground, or "earth" as they call it over the pond. The lightning bolt symbol is the + 12V lead. The switch is a standard single pole, single pole switch with two contacts as per the drawing.

There are different symbols for other switches, there are [single pole, single throw], [single pole, double throw], [double pole single throw], [double pole, double throw], momentary switches, and other specialty switches, like single pole, quad throw. ( like a heater fan switch )

Im thinking of getting the module that turns the navi screen into a monitor that would be cool with a game console / digital tuner ...picture wont be so great but as a tuner to watch news or games would be decent.

The upside down tree looking symbol always denotes ground, or "earth" as they call it over the pond. The lightning bolt symbol is the + 12V lead. The switch is a standard single pole, single pole switch with two contacts as per the drawing.

There are different symbols for other switches, there are [single pole, single throw], [single pole, double throw], [double pole single throw], [double pole, double throw], momentary switches, and other specialty switches, like single pole, quad throw. ( like a heater fan switch )
Okay, that helps thanks. The star is a different tie in to the power at the back of the car (licence plate light??) right?

Normally open?
Normally close?

Relay? Is that like a resistor?

Last edited:
What I would like to know is when I hook up the reverse camera, would it be simple to add the necessary wires so that if one day I wanted to add a player, or some other future device, I would have the option to plug into the already placed wires?

Last edited:
With a shout out to 9th :woot:

I think it looks great, but I think you'd have a blast with a car-pc. You could make it to your liking (ram, hd size, DVD, wireless)...etc. I know some who'd sync up their car with their home system over wifi from the driveway/garage. You could do music, movies, pics, game emulators... Yeah.

Where are you going to put the player when you choose?

I liked the last one, because of the font size and infra red remote sensor that could be placed anywhere. Too bad USB key is a little bit limiting.

I'm gonna be attempting this over the weekend
of 6/29 and was wondering about the wiring schematics , did you find them somewhere
or just go in blind and try to figure it out?

i bought a micca hd player to attach because of the ability with downloaded content
which i have an endless supply of
http://www.amazon.com/Micca-Speck-F...B008NO9RRM/ref=pd_sim_e_2/190-9496222-6823805

thanks for the thread and help =]
much appreciated

I had to figure it out myself. My DIYs are all homemade as far as installation and kit my own materials. Let us know how the installation is, this is a bit more advance than the reverse camera due to multiple circuits. Which is why I think most people havent tried it yet.

ok cool, thanks for the info
i noticed some of the other threads you posted had the pin connecters and everything else for the imid more or
less mapped out so shouldn't be that bad

yea i guess hahha i just think it's simple common sense and some electrical / computer wiring backround so shouldn't be too bad. Just a little more complex circuitry and harder to find then on a standard computer tower

i'll keep you posted with photos of the DIY and updates
I have 2012 Civic LX Sedan, stock so far
but i love the versatility and reliability of the mods you can accomplish with this model
so hopefully it'll be stock no more

Thanks Dpotratz, Im working on more DIYs. My goal is to make a less than 20k car have better features than 30k+ luxury car and spending only 1-2k.

Im on vacation right now but check on the forums from at least once a day still so I keep a look out for you.

Back