Anyone ever do trans work??? Please help

Mikeorock

queens, ny
Vehicle Model
civic si
Body Style
coupe
Ok so i was driving and down shifted into 4th and i heard something chattering..
I hear it when im coasting if im in gear or not or even in nuetral.
The car still drives, shifts and feels fine..
I lifted the front end up and i hear it when i spin either wheel.. The sound is definetly coming from where the 2 axles meet..
What do you guys think it is?? Someone said it could be the final drive?? I would rather do the work myself but im not sure i can handle it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 42
Ok so now i took off the trans fill plug so i can see the gear inside.. When i spin the axle I can see the gear in the transmission spin also.. But after rotating the axle a couple times, i can see the gear gets jammed but i can still rotate the axle.. It must be the diff...
But my question is.. Has anyone ever done this type of work?? Is it complicated?? I wanna do it my self but im not too sure!!!

Yea i cant get it done on my phone.. Ill have to try from my computer later.. Thanks

You have a PRL turbo. 99.9% of 9ths with 400whp shred 4th gear. So I would plan on getting a stronger gear and carbon synchro kit. Your trans is toast.

This is not something i would recommend messing with personally. This is one of the times its easier to just take it to a pro. I haven't worked on a k series tranny but I tried to save some money on my d series trans by replacing a bearing myself. Thing was never the same again and I wound up just shelling out to buy a race prepped trans which is what I should have done in the first place.

Im pretty sure its the differntial and not the trans.. But if it has to get taken apart, i was thinking of changing the synchros anyway

I might as well go all out since the trans will be out.. I dont want this to happen again.. You think syncros is all i should get??

@Br3TT has some knowledge on building up your transmission. His car is an 8th gen but I bet the advice would transfer over very well. Im certain some of the same companies make parts for both sets of transmissions.

Syncros, gears, all that.... I would ask him.

I had Syncrotech build my trans for my project car. You could probably contact their customer service to see what their suggestions would be and if they can do the work for you. They are very friendly and easy to work with and they respond to emails very quickly.

I'd upgrade the gears too. The gears are weak. And 4th gear will definitely shred eventually. You don't want to do the job twice.

Yes exactly. While its apart, i might as well go all out.. I always thought handa made a really great gear box?!?!?!
But i contacted a guy from south jersey.. I hear alot of good thing about hime..

4130 fabrication... He thinks its the final drive (just for your info) hes gonna take it apart and see what we can do.. They work on alot of honda and acura forced induction cars.. I just think it would be best to take it to a pro for this.. Plus he would have good advise on the tranny and other things since he knows alot about them.. I wanted to do it myself but i think this is the best way..

I had Syncrotech build my trans for my project car. You could probably contact their customer service to see what their suggestions would be and if they can do the work for you. They are very friendly and easy to work with and they respond to emails very quickly.
Hows the tranny feel??? Is it a big difference??

@Br3TT has some knowledge on building up your transmission. His car is an 8th gen but I bet the advice would transfer over very well. Im certain some of the same companies make parts for both sets of transmissions.

Syncros, gears, all that.... I would ask him.
Ok cool thanks alot

I had an RO with the same symptoms and when i took it for a test drive and ran through stethoscope diag and the works it sounded like the diff so i removed the tranny and replaced the diff only to still hear the noise...called extended warranty and they said to just throw parts at it..next part was the counter shaft so pressed all the gears and bearings off and i replaced the shaft and the noise was gone after replacing both parts, not sure if it was both or just the countershaft but in the end i just wish the whole unit was replaced..a lot easier but cost the customer a lot more money

Back