Anyone tried the K&N Drop-in filter?

i don't know if anyone else heard this about k&n air filter but that bc thier oil-based property they will drastically shorten the life of the o2 sensor

Enjoy the sweet sweet sounds when you drop in the filter.

i don't know if anyone else heard this about k&n air filter but that bc thier oil-based property they will drastically shorten the life of the o2 sensor
I've put around 200k miles cumulative on k&n filters - to this point, no failure... any link to stories?

Is this issue specific to the 2012 Si's? I've had previous cars with K&N filters and never had this issue with my O2 sensors but maybe it has to do with the proximity of the filter to the sensor which could vary from car to car I suppose?

Enjoy the sweet sweet sounds when you drop in the filter.
I'm detecting a little sarcasm here, lol. I don't expect much difference in sound unfortunately from just a filter... but it'd be a heack of a cheap way to go if it did :confused:

I've always used K&N filters in all of my vehicles, on & off road, never had a problem. I would love to see some sort of back up to the claim that they damage o2 sensors

I just got an email from K&N saying it's shipped so I guess back order is just for Canada. If they have them to ship to me you shouldn't have to wait very long.

I'm detecting a little sarcasm here, lol. I don't expect much difference in sound unfortunately from just a filter... but it'd be a heack of a cheap way to go if it did :confused:

No, no sarcasm at all.

Yea that's weird. I had a K&N in my 08 RX8 for almost 3 years with no issues. I guess someone got very carried away applying oil after cleaning,

Well in that case... awesomesauce! Sadly, I did miss the sound of my torqueless-wonder K20, lol.

I do miss hearing that VTEC scream when I had the Injen CAI, Buddy Club Header and the Greddy exhaust on the K20 but the sound from the inline 6 and the tq are nice too, lol.

What webby said. Sometimes a new one out of the box can trip a cel if its heavy on the oil and it gets on your sensor. Same with cleaning and re-oiling. MAF cleaner clears it right up. 02 sensors on the civics are usually on the exhaust side aren't they? Seems like any oil, along with fuel, would get burned up in the cylinder and not affect the 02 sensors.

yea, the o2 is on the exhaust.. the guy who started the thread was probably confused on the name.

Bottom line is as long as you don't use an over saturated K&N filter you're sensors will be fine. That thing must have been dripping with oil to gunk up the maf in a couple dozen miles.

I went on the K&N website and tried to order this and when I hit "Buy Now" it directed me to a list of local dealers....so I called around to them and asked if they had any...they all said no....so then I emailed K&N and asked about it....they were really quick replying and said that the "Buy Now" only pertained to the U.S. because it is difficult to calculate shipping charges due to customs charges and what not and where it was a fairly new product it might take a couple of weeks at least for my dealers to get it in stock

Just thought I'd share this

Bottom line is as long as you don't use an over saturated K&N filter you're sensors will be fine. That thing must have been dripping with oil to gunk up the maf in a couple dozen miles.

I should mention after owning a few Evo's those guys actually steer pretty clear of KN filters. If you google K & N filers and fouling maf's in the Evo forums you should get quite a few results. Not sure if its as simple as just using some maf cleaner but fouling maf in a forced induction car, especially if you pushing it like all evo owners do, its a dangerous situation. Every other car I've owned though, all the drivers usually fanboy up on KN. So they have to be doing something right.

I went on the K&N website and tried to order this and when I hit "Buy Now" it directed me to a list of local dealers....so I called around to them and asked if they had any...they all said no....so then I emailed K&N and asked about it....they were really quick replying and said that the "Buy Now" only pertained to the U.S. because it is difficult to calculate shipping charges due to customs charges and what not and where it was a fairly new product it might take a couple of weeks at least for my dealers to get it in stock

Just thought I'd share this
Yeah, I was told it would be a 2 to 3 week wait because they didn't carry it in stock yet but that they could definitely get it for me (I purchased it locally, not online). They entered in the part number and didn't seem to think it would be an issue but I'll let you know when it arrives if you'd like. I put in the order on Tuesday so it would give you a rough timeline for the wait period when ordering to Canada.

Back