Best Class for 9th Gen Civic - SCCA AutoX

Mucter is using an MDX airbox on his KW S/C 8th gen now -- it works very well. He was using a stock airbox for some time with that S/C and only lost ~10hp with it over the intake that comes with the kit.

Reactions: Nix
But to answer your question, if you're looking to be competitive, I think that the best class for the civic si is actually g-stock, unless someone else here has experience with their car in other classes. Moving up to STX or DSP, there are a ton of cars that are very very quick when prepped for these classes.
RTF is a paxed class and the Si is competitive in that class at G-Stock (with a decent driver that is hahahahha). G-Stock is really good, but at national events, everything with r-comps will likely own all street tire cars.

Agreed about moving up to highly mod'd classes and going up against some crazy cars.

If your car came from the factory or you bought it brand new with the HFP suspension then it can be in stock. If you just bought the package and put it on your car it is no longer in g-stock but STX. You can't modify any of the air intake except a drop in filter to stay in stock, this includes the resonator unfortunately. Also you can go as wide a tire as you want but the rims have to stay the same size and width as stock so that limits the width of tire you can put on the rim.

In stock the biggest things would be a big rear sway bar and endlinks, drop in filter and slightly wider/better tires (i.e. dunlop ZII, rivals etc. or r-comps if you really want)

Honestly for autox the stock power is just enough, handling is kind of lacking in stock form. So a big rear sway bar and better tires are all you need until you start to get faster, until then just drive your car and get as much seat time or take a school if you want.

I took my intake resonator off yesterday so I will be STX. The more I remember about my AUTOxing from a 2006-08 the more I realize classing does not matter in my SCCA region. Its usually about 40 cars, and pretty much each car falls in a different SCCA class. So the only people that really get awards at the end of the day is your overall finishers. Not enough folks to break it down into class by class.

I am really wanting to do this just to have some where to go fast without ticking the public off or getting a ticket. A track day is preferred, but I cant risk hitting a wall plus track days are pricey.

I thought about this more, and I have decided to stick with GS class. The mods needed to make the car suitable for GS are financially better for me than STX right now. I would love to do $intake/header/suspension/and so on and so on$, but that would just put the car into some non-competitive class, and I would end up with the same situation with my crazy modded RSX-S I used to own that always landed me in Spec Modified with the fully prepped Vettes.

Another factor pushing me to get more Mods is car shows.. yea yea.. I like them, but I would have to spend alllllll kindzzzzz of money to place in a legit car shows Civic class.. Civic class is a hard one to beat. So yea going to scratch that idea, and keep it simple and G Stock for now. Mindlessly modding is not an option like it used to be before wife and mortgage!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nix
Back