Bike rack

keven lincks

Anyone a mtn biker or road biker? If so has anyone found a bike rack that fits the coupe SI. I have yet to find one within the two most popular choices Thule and Yakima.

Yeah, just depends on what type of rack you would like and what your budget it. The roof racks are tricky on the couples because of the short roofline. Sometimes you have to get extra support braces. I recommend a hitch and hitch rack if you have the budget. It should be around the same price as a roof rack unless you get a killer deal on either one.

Hitch - $150ish
Rack - Same & goes up from there.

Yah I know there is a hitch one you can get. I have to say I am prone to getting the roof rack. I went to put my bike in the back of my SI and noticed the trunk space does not fully go thru so I passed on the bike ride. My choices so far is getting a trike from playschool or find a new hobby.

You know I have not thought of that yet. Which I should of. I have a Gray Fisher mtn bike. So yah I think I could do that. Ty. Beat that 900$ ticket price of a roof rack.

Reactions: Nix
www.etrailer.com

They have a lot of hitch racks listed for civics. Install is real easy too. I had a very good experience with that company. I think I got mine for $115 or $135 shipped.

A hitch would definitely be the way to go. It would be annoying to stow a bike to the roof especially for someone who goes biking a lot. And roof racks increase drag.

There are some very nice trunk mount racks out there but you always run the risk of scratching the paint where ever the rack contacts the car. Even the ones with really nice feet on them. Also I never felt they were as secure as any of the other options.

That said I have never had an issue using one either. I really like the saris bones rack if you wanted to just get a trunk rack to get by for a bit.

Saris Bones Rack - $130 range. Super adjustable and pretty sturdy. You can definitely clear a small spoiler with it and adjust it from trunk to hatchback to SUV.

Bones%20Bike%20rack.jpg

I take the front tire off and pass through the back seat. Up for a ride after work and this is how it sits. Waiting on a roof rack. $$ just doesn't grow on trees...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371492490.499392.jpg

Isn't perfect but it totally works for one bike and driver. Add a second or a passenger and not so much, need a rack, roof, trunk, or hitchZ

I had a thule roof rack, paid close to $275 for everything. Bought used towers and cross bars from a guy that drove an older Elantra. If I remember correctly, the rubber feet of the Si coupe. I did not run the extra support attachment and had a rocky mount pitchfork bike tray. The front feet were about an inch or two away from the front windshield and the rear feet were as far back as I could fit them. I was riding a mtn bike at the time and driving on highways going 60-70 mph with no issues. Might have been a bit extra bouncy since the rear tire sat a bit far back. Never noticed the rack become loose in any way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nix
I tend to just take most of my bike apart and fold down the back seats in my coupe. It stinks that the 60/40 split has the bigger section behind the drivers seat though.

Thule XT990 is a decent price for a 2 bike hitch mount rack. It's not as nice as the T2 version but its about $100 cheaper. Comes with a locking hitch pin and locks on both of the upper rack arms.

The rubber protectors on the rack arms will wear the paint on your bike though, so you need to stick something like a microfiber towel in between.

Buh, I stupidly traded my used T2 for the XT990 +$. I wanted locks, which I was having trouble getting, and the guy wanted the T2 "RIGHT NOW"......

I have a Thule Gateway trunk mount rack.
http://www.thule.com/en-us/ca/produ...arriers/thule-gateway-2-bike-9006xt-_-1679939

It fits really good, nice soft padded mounts but it rests on the top of the rear bumper. There isnt much support for the bumper right infront of the trunk lid so it definitely deflects the plastic quite a bit, thats my only complaint. I dont think i would use a trunk carrier for a long trip, i'd spring for a hitch type.

Yah I did have one of those at one point for another car but returned it due to the slight damage it was doing. Plus I tighten **** down to hard (=

Back