Cold Start "Scraping/Rattle" Noise Grinding Cold Start - VTC Actuator Merged Threads

Yeah, I've been priming mine simply by turning key to AC position and waiting about 8 seconds or so, then firing up engine. Helps reduce that grinding noise in cold weather for me so far.
Funny I am a srt-4 guy and all ready thought of using the key to prime the oil up, my 2 dodge neon's never has this problem-but I also click the key to get oil up faster. even the VFR 800 I do this,.:owned:

That is just a fuel system prime, the motor doesn't turn over so oil isn't being pumped through the engine till you crank it. You would need a separate electric oil pump and plumb it to your motor.
you click the key and turn over the engine-it should be pumping oil-don't start the car-not sure if it will reach the bad vtc actuator that honda took years to have a fixed part while trying to cover up the faulty part-this should be a Honda recall.:hyper:

Funny I am a srt-4 guy and all ready thought of using the key to prime the oil up, my 2 dodge neon's never has this problem-but I also click the key to get oil up faster. even the VFR 800 I do this,.:owned:
Looks like the trick is to turn the dash lights on for 20 sec's then start the car, it might set the vtc to work right, I am going to try that tonight and see if the sound is still there, this really suks because its very cold here and it seems if the car sits for 6 hours and is cold , it will rattle when started causing engine wear and the problem has been here sinse 2008 and only fixed in 2017 with a upgraded vtc actuator-time to sue Honda , I am calling the corporate office and complain! 800-999-1009:chopwood:

Last edited:
Noob new owner here. Any updates on the 'new' parts for the actuator? I get this on every cold start and and I am not sure how long the PO ignored the issue and let it rattle. Reading thru the thread I am not sure what to believe on any related components getting damaged.

Here’s the final bill of materials for fixing the cold start rattle issue on my Si. I didn’t fix it a long time ago and the dealer in town wouldn’t entertain SB as car has nearly 100,000 miles.

The rattle issue caused collateral damage over time.

IMG_9992.jpeg

Last edited:
Those are the parts that needed to be replaced. All were needed.
oh the work was already done? It all needed done? :bleh: I saw the "if needed" part, so I thought this was the estimate going into the work

Oh yeah, I see that. No, that was part of the original quote but the cam gear teeth were chewed up.

Back