Confused about my setup!

fidodido

Hello all. I own an Honda Civic 2012 EX-L w/o Navi sedan. I love everything in the car but the sound system.

So, I thought I might invest in a setup, and here's what I purchased so far:

- 1 Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers: Car Electronics
- 1 Polk Audio DB651s Slim-Mount 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB651s Slim-Mount 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics
- 1 Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 Punch BRT 300-Watt Ultra Compact 4-Channel Amplifier (Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB651s Slim-Mount 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics
- 1 Boss Audio BASS600 8-Inch Low Profile Amplified Subwoofer (Amazon.com: Boss Audio BASS600 8-Inch Low Profile Amplified Subwoofer (Single): Car Electronics

I planned to replace the stock unit as well, but for now, I would like to leave it as it (I don't want to loose steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, imid, etc.). In either case, I will be replacing it but if possible I would like to avoid the hassle for now.

So, here is my confusion about it:

I have spent the last 4 hours reading and searching on the forums.

Somewhere I have read that I will need a LOC and somewhere not (I even read that since my amp has high level inputs, I don't need a LOC), which of those is true ?

Also, when I've read there's a need for a LOC, they only mention I need to tap in the rear speakers, but seeing my setup has two amps (one sub amplified), how would I go to connect the other amp to power the 4 speakers ?

Will I need to run new wires for the speakers, considering they are not that loudsy/power hungry (only 75rms) or can I se the stock ones ?

I believe I can replace the stock speakers and still use the stock HU with aftermarket speakers, is that correct ?

Since I have two amps, I guess I will need to run a positive wire from battery to a distribution center and then to the two amps, is that correct ? If that is so, where do you think I should put the distribution center ?

I also plan to put the amp and amp sub under the driver and passenger seat. Considering both units are NOT that high-end, do you think this will work ? do you see any issues with this ? I want to avoid any burnings or something related (I could care less about foot leng for the rear passengers as I drive mostly alone).

Ultimately, my goal is to just swap the speakers and amp the whole system with the added sub. Can you just let me know what else will I need in order to have this setup, bear in mind what I have purchased so far ?

Thank you a lot for stopping by and reading this and I apologize for my ignorance, but I am not a whole audio guy.

Regards

I will be of no help with an LOC. I replaced my headunit and ran new RCAs to my amps.

Will I need to run new wires for the speakers, considering they are not that loudsy/power hungry (only 75rms) or can I se the stock ones ?
No

I believe I can replace the stock speakers and still use the stock HU with aftermarket speakers, is that correct ?
Yes, but depending on what you buy, they may be underpowered.

Since I have two amps, I guess I will need to run a positive wire from battery to a distribution center and then to the two amps, is that correct ? If that is so, where do you think I should put the distribution center ?
Yes. It is best to put it as close to the amps as possible. You will use less wire this way. And copper is not cheap anymore.

I also plan to put the amp and amp sub under the driver and passenger seat. Considering both units are NOT that high-end, do you think this will work ? do you see any issues with this ? I want to avoid any burnings or something related (I could care less about foot leng for the rear passengers as I drive mostly alone).
This is possible, but you may run into heat dissipation issues and running/hiding the wires would take quite a level of meticulousnous. Not to mention, if you allow drinks in your car, you could be asking for problems. Just my 2¢, but it really is a personal preference.

Ultimately, my goal is to just swap the speakers and amp the whole system with the added sub. Can you just let me know what else will I need in order to have this setup, bear in mind what I have purchased so far ?
Large gauge power wire w/fuse
Distribution box (possibly with fuse)
System power wire(s) for the amps
Ground wires (could be done with a distribution box too)
Decent gauge speaker wire (I am running all new ones)
Zip ties. Lots of zip ties!

Most importantly...a lot of patience when tearing the interior of the car apart. You will have to remove more than you expect to gain access to the rear speakers.

Last edited:
From what I know a LOC helps regulate the voltage or amperage level out put to your amp. Your amp does have an input regulator so you dont need a LoC.

From what I know a LOC helps regulate the voltage or amperage level out put to your amp. Your amp does have an input regulator so you dont need a LoC.

Only if you are running RCAs through a preout from the headunit. There may be amps with this feature, but I am not aware of any. It definitely not a standard feature for an amp.

If you look up Kickers CX300.1, it also has an amp regulator. If anything, he can be extra safe and get one or splice before into the harness/preamp output on the headunit

Hello guys, thanks a lot for your replies!!!!

I was under the impression I needed a LOC no matter what, because I am keeping the stock radio? I thought I needed to tap into the speakers wires (front the back of radio or from the speaker end) in order to "feed" the amp, since the stock HU doesn't have an independant "sub" output ? Is that correct ?

This ^. Only the 2012 coupe ex/ex-l had a subwoofer, besides the SI models.

Only way is with a LOC, correct?

Depends, if the amp purchased has an amp regulator or the stock head unit provides the correct specs for the amp. So technically you can do without one but its easier to have one so you dont have to run wires from the HU harness to the back.

most amps these days come with high level inputs but i never use them because rcs's are just so much more simple and looks cleaner in the wiring setup
and if you are using you're stock head unit for now a LOC would be you're best bet so you dont even have to touch your dash one bit

And if you are up grading your factory speakers better to connect them to an amp not the factory radio because no matter what they will sound roughly the same being its still working off the factory radio only way to get the full potiential of the speakers is to after market amp them.

Also putting the amps under the seats is a huge hassle because then you have to remove the seats and make sure the wires are under the carpet and have to make sure that no wires get pinched when the seats go back in plus amps need a good amount of space for cooler air and under the seats i dont recommend.

plus if somthing ever goes wrong then the seats have to come back off to trouble shoot so its just more hassle in my eyes.

Back