Confused about my setup!

what i do recommend is a decent crossover if you are using multiple amps that way once you setup the amps adjustments wise you leave them alone FOREVER and then you can control the entire sound system from the crossover which makes life soooo much easier lol

Thanks a lot for your input everyone!

It looks like I will have to go the standard route: amps in trunk and replace the head unit.

9thgizzyguy, even the sub you dont recommend under the seat ?

you might have no choice but too because ive installed those b4 in trunks and they dont hit hard enough to here them from there ...i can pretty much garrantee your gonna upgrade your sub REALLY soon lol because it probably wont hit as hard as you expected .

on a sub i see you want to keep your trunk space so i say a 10'' or 12'' inch sub in a ported bandpass box with a separate amp just for the sub and it will make a huge difference and you still have room in your trunk.

let me know i can draw out what your sound system should look like from my eyes with your setup and with what i recommend.

Thanks a lot for your input everyone!

It looks like I will have to go the standard route: amps in trunk and replace the head unit.

9thgizzyguy, even the sub you dont recommend under the seat ?

Only sub that can fit under the seat that sounds decent are the shallows 8". I've measured and tried to fit others in there but theres just no room.

9thgizzyguy, I am not really into a lot of bass to be honest, I am almost good with the stock, with the exception that there is no bass at all. To be honest, I know I can do well with anything that has bass (the stock system has no bass at all). If you can take a look at the first post, you can find what I have already.

ADExternal, that's exactly what I have. If you go to the first page I posted what I have already invested in.

- 1 Boss Audio BASS600 8-Inch Low Profile Amplified Subwoofer (Amazon.com: Boss Audio BASS600 8-Inch Low Profile Amplified Subwoofer (Single): Car Electronics

9thgizzyguy, I am not really into a lot of bass to be honest, I am almost good with the stock, with the exception that there is no bass at all. To be honest, I know I can do well with anything that has bass (the stock system has no bass at all). If you can take a look at the first post, you can find what I have already.

ADExternal, that's exactly what I have. If you go to the first page I posted what I have already invested in.

- 1 Boss Audio BASS600 8-Inch Low Profile Amplified Subwoofer (Amazon.com: Boss Audio BASS600 8-Inch Low Profile Amplified Subwoofer (Single): Car Electronics

Unless you plan to put two of them, its a small upgrade from stock sub. You might be able to hit a little more low db because it is enclosed otherwise you might be disappointed how much you're getting from it with all their efforts you're putting in. You never know, it might just be enough for you.

yes i saw the boss box and that is what i was talking about but all in all it might be tricky trying to fit that under a seat too and it might need some space above the sub itself for the retract so messure b4 you start taking things apart bcause if the seat sits right on top actually touch then its a no go and if put into the trunk you might not here it at all..

Unless you plan to put two of them, its a small upgrade from stock sub. You might be able to hit a little more low db because it is enclosed otherwise you might be disappointed how much you're getting from it with all their efforts you're putting in. You never know, it might just be enough for you.
Wait... does the stock system even has a sub ??

Yeah, my EX-L Sedan doesn't have any subs, that's why I think I will be OK with the Boss sub.

just be prepared because if you amp the after market interior speakers it might drown out that sub only because the sub is not powerful enough.

i have done setups like yours and a week later i get a phone call from an unhappy customer and i end up putting an actual box in their trunk with a seperate amp and then they are happy.

plus be for warned that boss isnt the greatest brand out too ok so be prepared .

Last edited:
Whoaa, 9thgizzyguy, I didn't know Boss was so underpowered.

However, I am expecting that by having no bass at all -> going to a Sub, even this small, will make a difference

Hey give it shot and I would love to hear some feedback about it after it's setup but the last thing I'm trying to do is be a Debbie downer ok I just like to warn people about certain audio stuff that you get what you pay for and I hate to see people spend their hard earned cash and not get what they expected ...

Not saying your not gonna get any bass out of it just preparing you because it might not be what you expect from it performance wise ... Plus like I said about the interior speakers once those are amped they might drown out that box because it's not that flexible and is only set for a certain power level.

Hey GoProtony and all,

I haven't done anything to the car yet, I decided I will just wait until next year (this year).

I am also debating on whether to go my original route (underseat amp, etc.) or just the regular route (amps on the truck, sub in the truck, etc.)

I will keep you guys posted once I done it. Thanks for asking!

Hello all. So I am excited because I am probably going to go over this, this weekend!

So far I have a few questions over the install.. since I am about to install the amp under the passenger/driver seat, I wonder if you guys can suggest a good ground location that is near there ? I know there is one on the back seat which seems to be the one everyone is using, but that will be too far I guess if my amp is under the front seat. I have been reading threads where someone has made suggestion to ground it to the seatbelt bolt, but I just can't find a picture or illustration about this. Can anyone give any suggestion as to a good ground location given my amp location ?

Thanks everyone!

Just an update.

I installed everything over the last week. Most difficult part for me was routing the cables to/from the radio harness in the back, as I had to route them through the center console (had to take it apart). From there, I used the carpet to hide them and have them feed through the air vent which is located under both front seats, so I didn't had to cut any carpet. I grounded to the inner bolt on the back of the seat rail (I sanded the area very well and used a multimeter to test it). All wires and each amp is located under each seat, with no wires visible and the amps themselves are located so the air hits them so they can get cooled down when under pressure.

Overall I am very satisfied with my install. As others mentioned, the bass produced by the Boss Bass600 is not something you will feel outside but definitely satisfy my needs. If anyone wants any pictures of the install and amp locations, feel free to request them here and I will gladly uploaded them.

Thanks to all who chimed in with your input!

Back