Dead 2006 Civic Si

dentrecords

Polar Bear
VIP Member
Hey guys..

My 2006 Civic Si is dead. I parked it, came back at the end of the day and attempted to start it. The starter tried to turn the engine over twice and then all the lights went out on the dash... and it stopped. The remote on the key no longer locks/unlocks the door, but the battery is still good. It's only a couple of months old and I tried to boost the car and it still wouldn't start - no lights on the dash apart from a split second flicker of a few lights. There is still power coming to the cabin - the VTEC shift indicator light is blinking slowly and the anti-theft light on the radio is solid red. I've tried a battery reset and no avail. I looked briefly at the fuses under the hood and they all seem intact. It definitely sounds like an electrical issue but I'm not well versed in the black art of troubleshooting these matters...

Any ideas what I can try before I either tow this car to the dealer or shoot a hole through the engine block?

Any ideas what I can try before I either tow this car to the dealer or shoot a hole through the engine block?
That was going to be my initial recommendation. Poor Yeller.

I'm no expert, but here is a suggestion straight from Honda's TechInfo website:
Many automotive systems today rely on software. Should that software develop errors, which can happen
from something like a low battery or interrupting a learn procedure, it can cause all sorts of odd electrical
problems that can be hard to troubleshoot. If you’ve got such a problem, try doing a battery cable reset; it
just might do the trick.
A battery cable reset forces all capacitors to discharge faster, and clears and resets most control unit
volatile memory. It’s like removing and reinstalling the battery in a cell phone that’s acting weird or
Before you start, make sure the battery is fully charged. A low battery can cause problems with electronics.
Then, get the anti-theft code and write down your customer’s audio presets.

1. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0), and remove the key. This lessens the chance of voltage spikes.
2. Disconnect the battery cables—negative cable first, then positive.
3. Short the battery cables together with a jumper wire.
4. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II), and wait 10 minutes.
5. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0), and remove the key.
6. Remove the jumper wire, and reconnect the battery cables—positive cable first, then negative.
7. Enter the anti-theft code.

Last edited:
Yeah, I did the battery reset... it's still dead in the water (more like a snowbank, actually). Old yeller is not going to have a good day if I can't figure this out.

Last edited:
Man that sucks! I was going to look for an answer over on the "other" forum for your car but it's been blocked on my comp due to malware detection. The whole site is infected apparently.

I think you might have to call Honda.

Yeah, it's likely getting towed to the dealer sans bullet in the engine block... bah

I was going to recommend accessing the Electrical Troubleshooting Guide on the TechInfo website, but even that isn't working.

is it the stock alternator? I've had some cars do some messed up stuff when the alternator went bad

Check the battery voltage, it must be at least 12.6 volts open circuit to be fully charged. Measure it with a voltmeter and if it's 12.6, then clean the connections and tighten them.

I'm going to have to keep that in check for my car.

I took both connections off the battery and reseated them.. working now. The connections are pretty bad so it looks like I will need some new ones. Thanks guys.
Wire brush the corrosion, use baking soda to clean battery posts and terminals, with water added - then dry, reinstall if removed, and coat with grease (I use wheel bearing lube) or one of the fancy spray coatings. Only had to do once or twice on our '98 EX in the last 13 years.

Back