dentrecords photography

So I went to California recently... I took 70 gigs of photos and spent the better part of a week sorting through them.

I started off with the main reason of me being out there. Tech companies! I visited Apple:

appleheadquarters.jpg

Then Google...

googlecampus.jpg

Google has hundreds of bicycles just laying around their campus for anyone to just get on and ride to another building.. the campus is huge.

googlebicycle.jpg

Google even has a conference bicycle.

googleconferencebike.jpg

This is a golf course across the street from Google... pretty nice - right on the end of San Francisco bay.

baygolf.jpg

My company has a pretty impressive array of network equipment...

fortinetequipment.jpg

breakingpointequipment.jpg

Some picture of the San Francisco bay area... I was staying down almost in San Jose, so I went to the airport at night.

sanjoseairport.jpg

En route to San Francisco, I stopped by sweeney ridge to see the clouds rolling over the mountains. It was mesmerizing.

sweeneyridge.jpg

Hyde street is steep.

hydestreet.jpg

Pier 39 is a tourist trap nightmare.

pier39.jpg

San Francisco Bay is cool and windy. The wind makes for great sailing, apparently.

sanfranciscobay.jpg

Of course, I visited the golden gate bridge. It was foggy, which is apparently a rarity in San Francisco.

goldengatebikepath.jpg

It was getting dark, so I took some pre-sunset light trail photos.

goldengatelighttrails.jpg

I also figured a picture of one of the towers looking up would be kind of neat...

goldengatelookingup.jpg

Alcatraz Island is a must for every tourist...

alcatrazisland.jpg

The guard tower looking out to make sure no boats were attempting to dock.

alcatraztower.jpg

Coit tower against a foggy sky lit by the city.

coittower.jpg

The bay bridge at night is spectacular, with lights running also each of the vertical cables that sparkle and illuminate in an impressive light show... that's very hard to translate into photos.

baybridge.jpg

On the weekend, I went to the Red Bull MotoGP event at Laguna Seca.

Let's start off with a 166mph flyby:

motogp-166mphflyby.jpg

Here is a video of what that was like to watch:

There were lots of neat looking bikes.

motogp-ktm.jpg

Valentino Rossi was leaning it over pretty good!

motogp-rossilean.jpg

A wheelie down the corkscrew? Why not!

motogp-corkscrewwheelie.jpg

A pair of bikes entering the corkscrew.

motogp-pairleaning.jpg

Superbikes.

motogp-superbikes.jpg

Rossi waving.

motogp-rossiwave.jpg

Bikes in the corkscrew:

Last edited:
After MotoGP I went down highway 1 through Big Sur.

Bixby bridge:

bixbybridgepanorama.jpg

Pfeiffer beach:

pfeifferbeachpano.jpg

Elephant Seals are Jerks!

elephantsealjerks.jpg

I also visited Sequoia and Yosemite National Parks. I cannot say enough good things about these places - truly mind blowing places.

On the way, there was a wildfire.

wildfirefighter.jpg

Lake Kaweah was odd since there was greenery in an otherwise parched and scorched environment.

lakekaweah.jpg

Hospital Rock.

hospitalrock.jpg

The roads in Sequoia national park are beautiful.

sequoianationalparkroad.jpg

I visited the world's largest tree.

mikeshermantree.jpg

This is what most people see when entering Yosemite for the first time:

yosemitetunnelview.jpg

Glacier point was much more impressive.

glacierpointpano.jpg

Let's end with an image of Mirror Lake at Sunset.

mirrorlake.jpg

Just wondering why you said this, I've never met any.

Love you pic's.........

Last edited:
Just wondering why you said this, I've never met any.

Love you pic's.........

Thank you.

The elephant seals spent the majority of their time making angry sounds at each other and sometimes rather violently biting each other.

I need to take a trip to the other coast, all these places ive always wanted to go, plus the scenery is so different from what you get on the east

Last edited:
Ya'll got me looking at cameras, I went to Sam's and liked a couple of these, and was wondering if anyone knew anything about them........... I'll be going to Goggle to find comments but your comments would be nice if you know about them.... and of course other brand knowledge is welcome........

1st : Canon Powershot SX50; 12mp cmos sensor; 50x optical zoom; 24mm WA lens: 2.8" vari-angle lcd ($449)

2nd : FUJI S8200 ; 40xzoom ; 16 mp ($259.88)

What a bunch of jerks!

Ya'll got me looking at cameras, I went to Sam's and liked a couple of these, and was wondering if anyone knew anything about them........... I'll be going to Goggle to find comments but your comments would be nice if you know about them.... and of course other brand knowledge is welcome........

1st : Canon Powershot SX50; 12mp cmos sensor; 50x optical zoom; 24mm WA lens: 2.8" vari-angle lcd ($449)

2nd : FUJI S8200 ; 40xzoom ; 16 mp ($259.88)

If you're already OK with $449, I'd get an actual DSLR instead. You're gaining a lot more flexibility and expandability with other lenses. The other huge thing you're gaining with a DSLR is a larger image sensor, allowing for less noise in your photographs when you have poor light. This is the biggest reason I stepped up to a full frame camera - for the low light low noise performance. Plus with a large aperture prime lens like a 35mm for 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 you can really get some amazing subject isolation through shallow depth of field... not to mention some crazy nighttime handheld shots that you simply can't get with a point and shoot.

The zoom range on the powershot is very significant though, if that's your primary concern. For example, the range on that is 24-1200mm. The motorcycle shots you saw were averaging between 120-300mm focal length. Going further than 300mm is almost always going to require a tripod or monopod to get steady shots... nevermind the considerations of atmospheric haze and ambient lighting... but if you wanted a 1200mm focal length on a DSLR, it's going to cost you dearly. I don't find extreme telephoto focal lengths to be realistic for 99.9% of any practical shooting situations, so I wouldn't prioritize that. I'd personally go for interchangeable lenses and low light performance every time, but that's my photo diva point of view. :)

I'm partial to Nikon, so a D3200 kit would be a great option. It's $550 at B&H right now. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/856049-REG/Nikon_25492_D3200_DSLR_Camera_With.html

Canon is offering something quite similar for $599. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753762-REG/Canon_5169B003_EOS_Rebel_T3i_Digital.html

c'mon,.... 1200mm lenses are good hiking lenses, no?

img9364.jpg

That Canon looks like a cannon.

Back