dentrecords photography

I'd vote yes

2OQnaGf.jpg

I'd use it to take pics of Pluto. :D

That's a massive zoom. That's equivalent to a 450mm when you figure in the crop factor. Do you happen to have a camera shop anywhere in your local vicinity? Most camera shops will let you take your camera body in and test out a bunch of lenses. Take some pics, look at them on your home pc, and see what you think of them. Just a suggestion.

That's a massive zoom. That's equivalent to a 450mm when you figure in the crop factor. Do you happen to have a camera shop anywhere in your local vicinity? Most camera shops will let you take your camera body in and test out a bunch of lenses. Take some pics, look at them on your home pc, and see what you think of them. Just a suggestion.
I had all this stuff when it was 35 mm film cameras, and used a 300mm zoom and liked it, and no they don't have anything in this town, if it wasn't for the internet I'd be lost in the land time forgot.

You can obviously get any zoom you want. Just know that a 200mm zoom on your nikon body is the equivalent to a 300mm 35mm zoom. That one you listed above is the equivalent to a 450mm zoom on a 35mm camera. It'll obviously offer a very long zoom. When you look at the lenses, multiply the values by 1.5 and that will translate over to what your 35mm gear is.

If it says it's a 50mm lens, it'll be equivalent to a 75mm lens on a normal 35mm camera. The crop factor is actually in your favor if you're after zoom/telephoto lenses.

You can obviously get any zoom you want. Just know that a 200mm zoom on your nikon body is the equivalent to a 300mm 35mm zoom. That one you listed above is the equivalent to a 450mm zoom on a 35mm camera. It'll obviously offer a very long zoom. When you look at the lenses, multiply the values by 1.5 and that will translate over to what your 35mm gear is.

If it says it's a 50mm lens, it'll be equivalent to a 75mm lens on a normal 35mm camera. The crop factor is actually in your favor if you're after zoom/telephoto lenses.
Cool...... I like zoom and I was looking at the other one that was higher but thought better of the price diff, but putting the numbers together the way you did, makes me like the 300 even more, when living in Colorado I can see something that looks great to shot, but if I walk/ride closer, the change in view also changes, so basically I like to frame things from a far but get it as close as I can.

Another thing , as I was looking at the selection(on my cam) for setting the size of the pictures, what size should I go with for posting on here....... say for calendar pic's. .......... The pixels are up near 24.5 , and they have one that is just over 12 pix's,,,,which I think is the min' for the calander.... What effect does that have, if any, on quality, by choosing a smaller or larger finished photo. Because it the camers says that 24.5 # will drop to 12 or 16 mp's if I go smaller.
I'm thinking that if the overall pic is smaller it doesn't need as many pixels ????????????

Last year it had a minimum size of 3500x2300 pixels to enter. You can't submit something too high in size, put it that way. Shoot in a high setting, and it can always be reduced later. That's simple. You can't take a small pic and go up in size without making the pic look bad. So I'd shoot in a high setting.

As for price, the biggest thing you'll be paying for is the aperture size. The lower the aperture will go, the price usually goes way up. It'll allow you to shoot in low light situations, and it obviously becomes much more expensive on zoom lenses versus others.

example being a 2.8 200mm lens
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/124669-USA/Nikon_1986_AF_Zoom_Nikkor_80_200mm_f_2_8D.html

or even an f2 200mm
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/734998-USA/Nikon_2188_AF_S_NIKKOR_200mm_f_2_0.html

f4 200mm
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/897230-REG/Nikon_2202_NIKKOR_AF_S_70_200mm_f_4_0G.html

Thx, webby .... This looks like a good deal then, at least half the price, and can manually slow the shutter down when needed.
Focus to 4.6' at Any Focal Length
$396.95 Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Zoom

I leave the size setting on the largest..... Thx

I've been spending the last day and a half reading the plf file manual..... :D

He has a padded bag made specifically for carrying lenses/camera bodies. B&h photo carries a bunch of them depending on how many lenses/accessories you have.

How big can you print those without blur/pixelation? I'd seriously like to buy some of your work.

Shazam... I might need to get me a wall print!

dentrecords - got a website of pics to browse man? I'd be looking for something very cold and snowy/frosty looking. I'm sure that's an easy one so far north. Specifically one that is very much the idea of "At the heart of Winter" or "Blizzard Beasts" or "Sons of Northern Darkness." A place called Blashyrkh.

Last edited:
dentrecords , No problems with vibration carrying your camera equipment on your MC ??????

Nope not at all. The equipment is in a padded bag. The biggest concern is water seeping in, but even then it's fine.

How big can you print those without blur/pixelation? I'd seriously like to buy some of your work.

However large you'd like, most likely. My recent (~1.5 years) shots are generally shot at 36 megapixel resolution, but it could be less depending on the mode I was in. Even then, you can make a respectable print.

Shazam... I might need to get me a wall print!

dentrecords - got a website of pics to browse man? I'd be looking for something very cold and snowy/frosty looking. I'm sure that's an easy one so far north. Specifically one that is very much the idea of "At the heart of Winter" or "Blizzard Beasts" or "Sons of Northern Darkness." A place called Blashyrkh.

Check out my Flickr gallery:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dentrecords/sets

Let me know if anything in particular catches your eye and I can try to get you a copy of it in the coming weeks.

Back