Excessive Engine Oil Consumption

Applies To:
2012 Civic Si 2-Door – From VIN 2HGFG4A...H700001 thru 2HGFG4A...H703398
2012 Civic Si 4-Door – From VIN 2HGFB6E...H700001 thru 2HGFB6E...H703802

SYMPTOM
The engine oil level is low on the dipstick, and the low
oil pressure indicator may come on.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace all the engine pistons and the piston rings.

my girlfriends car finally let go, and we are looking at 3 Si's saturday and coming home with one of them, how exactly do i check the vin to make sure its not one u posted

Service Bulletin 12-069, October 23, 2012

Excessive Engine Oil Consumption

Applies To:
2012 Civic Si 2-Door – From VIN 2HGFG4A...H700001 thru 2HGFG4A...H703398
2012 Civic Si 4-Door – From VIN 2HGFB6E...H700001 thru 2HGFB6E...H703802

SYMPTOM
The engine oil level is low on the dipstick, and the low
oil pressure indicator may come on.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace all the engine pistons and the piston rings.

heres 1 im looking at si 4door 2HGFB6E58CH705559 it being 705559 it should be good correct?

heres another, SI 4door si black with navi... 2HGFB6E5XCH702310 looks like that is effected if im reading it right...

heres the last one the one she wants the most, and most expensive..., SI 4door, white with navi, 2HGFB6E53CH704187 looks like that one checks out ok, can anyone confirm that im reading it right

"si 4door 2HGFB6E58CH705559 it being 705559 it should be good correct?"
This ones good.......

The other one is on the list.

Hey guys what about this one,

heres the last one the one she wants the most, and most expensive..., SI 4door, white with navi, 2HGFB6E53CH704187 looks like that one checks out ok, can anyone confirm that im reading it right

It's after H703802' is that ok?

I'm just so afraid of,purchasing one and having to fight with the dealership... I'm not one for confrontation

For the people who have had engine work (if they were burning a lot of oil), I haven't really seen them say they had to fight with the dealer to have the work done.

picking up a new si?
We got it, I need to start a new thread and stop hijacking this one lol we are still trying to feel the car out with the 6spd first one I ever drove ( driven 5sp all my life) and this new 6spd is a different world...

Cruising 45mpg I'm in 5th gear is this normal? If not I'm reving 3k... I don't like that

Also think we need the new firmware update because of rev hang but dunno if its because I need to learn where she likes to shift at

Ill have a new thread with pics in he morning, I want to thank everyone in this thread for sharing their issues and letting me know what vins to be aware of, we really appreciate it!!

Dan + Amanda

We got it, I need to start a new thread and stop hijacking this one lol we are still trying to feel the car out with the 6spd first one I ever drove ( driven 5sp all my life) and this new 6spd is a different world...

Cruising 45mpg I'm in 5th gear is this normal? If not I'm reving 3k... I don't like that

Also think we need the new firmware update because of rev hang but dunno if its because I need to learn where she likes to shift at

Ill have a new thread with pics in he morning, I want to thank everyone in this thread for sharing their issues and letting me know what vins to be aware of, we really appreciate it!!

Dan + Amanda

I always go back to the basics with each new car.......... The working number is 55 MPH ................ what are my rpm's in 4th gear ...... then 3rd .................. the range with these are the operating range .......... another 500 to a 1000 rpm's under 4th is as low as I go .............with the exception of 1st gear...........

What this is telling me is I should be able to run all day in 4th gear and do what I want....... but the gas milage is going to suffer, that's what the 500/1000 drop is for, but any more than that while in gears 3 thru 6 is going to under rev/power the car............

you can cruise at 45mph in 6th if you want. It's just going to be harder to accelerate in 6th if you have to. Nothing wrong with that though, just downshift if needed. Rev hang - you can go with the hondata reflash or the hondata flashpro if you're planning to mod the car.

hey guys i started an intro thread with pics in the intro section, im pretty good at high jacking threads and want to leave this one alone, and hopefully dont see me back here in this thread lol thanks!

I don't see many replies from Canadians here. I'm in the Toronto area, VIN is ...H100591; different factory entirely. I first got a low oil warning at 3400km back in March, filled it up, got another one at 4600km in April, filled it again then got another warning at 7200km in August at which point I decided to take it in. My dealer started an oil consumption test which concluded this week when I started getting low warnings again at 10100km. They have the parts in and I'll be getting them replaced next week. If I remember, I'll try to post an update here around 13-14k.

I was charged for the first oil change with the beginning of the test, but the subsequent one and the parts replacement are under warranty. I've had no problems with my dealer, they've been quick and cordial.

welcome to the site. From the others who've had the work done, it seems to resolve the issues. Keep us posted

I wanted to start a poll to find out just how many of us have this problem. So let us know if your 2012 Si burns oil, and if it does, when did you first notice and how much oil will it burn through. Thanks.

edit - Update Oct 25th, 2012
post 181
Hello,

I just wanted to let you know, my husband and I have a new 2012 honda civic si and we went to check the oil before a trip and theoil on dip stick did not register. We called the dealership and they sent a tow truck. There is a recall on the pistions they did a complete over haul on the engine. We didn't hear of any recall.

Hello,

I just wanted to let you know, my husband and I have a new 2012 honda civic si and we went to check the oil before a trip and theoil on dip stick did not register. We called the dealership and they sent a tow truck. There is a recall on the pistions they did a complete over haul on the engine. We didn't hear of any recall.

I have already got mine replaced, about 2 months ago, or about 4000 miles. Sine then I've had no oil loss or anything. I had to go through so much to get Honda to recognize the issue, so I guess you were lucky to have them jump right on it.

I wanted to start a poll to find out just how many of us have this problem. So let us know if your 2012 Si burns oil, and if it does, when did you first notice and how much oil will it burn through. Thanks.

edit - Update Oct 25th, 2012
post 181

I took my car in today for its initial service (6,520) with 15% life left. I checked the oil this am before starting the car. Brown, but full, right up to the top mark. I waited until mile 5 before vteching the thing :vtec:.

Back