Does your Si burn oil?

Does your Si burn oil?

• Yes

Votes: 44 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 45.7%

• Total voters
My sedan did not consume any oil in 5k yet. I am outside the posted VIN range. I said it before and some centralized data about this would be great, but I doubt it will see the light of day :)

I wonder if it would be worth it to start tracking some of the info on here? Maybe manufacture date and whatever other info. Just a thought. I realize we're only a small percentage of the Civics out there.....

I wonder if it would be worth it to start tracking some of the info on here? Maybe manufacture date and whatever other info. Just a thought. I realize we're only a small percentage of the Civics out there.....

A thread where people with the issue post their vins can work. The VIN is a private ID though so not sure how people will feel about it. Putting it in a sortable table would work wonders :)

Best approach would be for Honda to release a full coverage of the affected models and fix them all, but I guess that would make it a recall and that makes news... Service buletin that covers all models would also be good.

I wonder if all people on the forum that have the problem fall in the reported VIN range. That could be a thread without any privacy issues.

All vehicles within the VIN range of the US and Canadian TSB's will require new pistons and rings - they will burn oil regardless of how they are or were broken in or what oil is used in them. A different type of ring was used in early production that was revised in later units - hence the need for updated pistons as well as rings. Vehicles produced outside of the VIN range were produced with updated parts.

All vehicles within the VIN range of the US and Canadian TSB's will require new pistons and rings - they will burn oil regardless of how they are or were broken in or what oil is used in them. A different type of ring was used in early production that was revised in later units - hence the need for updated pistons as well as rings. Vehicles produced outside of the VIN range were produced with updated parts.

Well they didn't do mine

My VIN is in the range and I have never consumed a drop. 12k miles and it's been on the line every oil change since I bought it new, not a drop low. I know some other owners whose Si's are in the range and who also haven't had any oil consumption issues.

My car falls under the VIN range and is burning oil.
It's going in for pistons and rings as soon as the head mechanic at my dealership catches up on his workload (in about a week)

I'm doing another oil consumption test due due 2 quarts of oil in 1100 miles lost. Then I should be getting the new pistons and rings according to the Honda service manager. I also heard it's going to add 10 hp

Back