Does your Si burn oil?

Does your Si burn oil?

• Yes

Votes: 44 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 45.7%

• Total voters
so looking at the part #'s, the pistons and rings have different part #'s from the stock 2.4 si engine. They're coming up as the acura 2.4l part #'s. I wonder how the two differ from each other?

I'm getting mine rebuilt today. Just dropped it off. I'll see if I can ask the master tech if he knows what the difference would be.

see if the parts list is the same as what was posted as well. Thanks

I'm getting mine rebuilt today. Just dropped it off. I'll see if I can ask the master tech if he knows what the difference would be.

How long did it take u for them to recognize the problem, and how long did it take befor they decided to replace the pistons and rings?

For the record I haven't seen my neighbor since I posted on here saying im going to ask him if his burns oil lol and he lives right across the street!!!

How long did it take u for them to recognize the problem, and how long did it take befor they decided to replace the pistons and rings?

For the record I haven't seen my neighbor since I posted on here saying im going to ask him if his burns oil lol and he lives right across the street!!!

Well my story is a little complicated. The first time I noticed it was low was around 1800 miles. My "check engine oil level" light would pop on for just a sec around turns or while braking. Not consistently but enough to tell me there was a problem. I took it to to dealer and the first guy I had taken it to told me side my car was a "dealers trade" that maybe it didn't get topped off and since they weren't the ones doing the PDI they werent sure. I told him I checked the oil at home my first day and it was topped off. None the less he filled it up, did a compression test and leakdown and it was fine. He also said it was normal for an Si to burn some oil, and Honda wouldn't consider it a problem until it hits more than 1 qt of oil every 1000 miles. I disagreed but I did know that was Hondas official protocol. None the less when Honda of America called to ask me how my service was I told them I completely disagree that this is considered normal. I even asked that how can a company that supports Eco friendly products really consider burning a qt of oil every 1000 miles acceptable? My service writer asked me to come back every 1000 miles to check the oil. On my next turn in he said it was less than a qt low so I wouldn't be eligible for Honda to repair/replace anything. In fact he insinuated that I drive my car hard and aggressive since my "dash lights" were red. I asked him if he knew that only non-si's come with that "Eco-savings" feature, and he continued to tell me he was right.

Well I have a couple buddies that work as porters/techs in that dealership so I asked one of them who could help me and they suggested my new service writer, Alfonso. The first time I saw him I was at about 4000 miles and had already had the dealer add about 2 qts. He really went to bat for me and called Hondas tech line and got them to approve a bottom end rebuild. So now my car is sitting at about 5000 miles. Had about 3 qts added to it already, and it's currently being rebuilt. I'm glad they took some action on it, I just really hope I don't have more problems.

As far as my opinion, I believe Honda would have just blown me off since it technically doesn't fall within their specs for oil consumption issues. Obviously there is an issue, I don't believe any new car should lose a qt of oil in under 5000 miles. Call me old fashioned but I just don't think it's acceptable. I understand all cars will consume a percentage of oil, but over 1 qt between oil changes seems way to excessive for me. Especially on a new Japanese car.

Wow! rings on Si_rican12 and a bottom end rebuild on Whitefg4s ride..... 2 totally separate problems/fixes?!

Yeah when I say bottom end rebuild I really just mean new rings pistons and gaskets. But that is pretty much the main moving parts on the bottom end.

OK so I've got just over 2000km's on my '12 Civic Si coupe and when I checked my oil level after reading these posts I saw that it was down below the hole closest to the end of the dip stick. So off to the dealership I go first thing this morning to speak to my mechanic friend and have him look at it. He says it's down over 1 litre!!
This is the first time I looked at my oil level figuring on a brand new car it should be all good. It looks like I'm going ti have to monitor the level and see what's going on.
I really hope it was a one off because I don't really want my engine dismantled at such a young age. :(
UPDATE: So I went in for my first oil change at 5500kms yesterday and I made sure we checked the oil level before it was drained. It was down another litre. So that's 2 litres total burned in 5500kms. I'm going to start having them checking the oil every 1000kms.

Yeah when I say bottom end rebuild I really just mean new rings pistons and gaskets. But that is pretty much the main moving parts on the bottom end.
The bottom end is usually talking about the crank shaft, crank shaft bearings ,rod bearings, and rods. The top end is the wrist pins, piston rings, pistons, cylinder, head, cams and valves. That"s just the basics. every type of engine is a little different but has the same basic parts. I thought maybe you spun a rod bearing or something...I haven't had any oil consumption at all. I just hit 6000 miles.

The bottom end is usually talking about the crank shaft, crank shaft bearings ,rod bearings, and rods. The top end is the wrist pins, piston rings, pistons, cylinder, head, cams and valves. That"s just the basics. every type of engine is a little different but has the same basic parts. I thought maybe you spun a rod bearing or something...I haven't had any oil consumption at all. I just hit 6000 miles.

I was under the impression the pistons were considered part of the bottom end? I am by no means mechanically inclined. Or have I taken any auto mechanic classes. I've just had bad enough luck on cars that sort of force me to learn about engines and other parts. Although right after I posted that I realized how many other parts there are down there. Quite a bit lol.

I was under the impression the pistons were considered part of the bottom end? I am by no means mechanically inclined. Or have I taken any auto mechanic classes. I've just had bad enough luck on cars that sort of force me to learn about engines and other parts. Although right after I posted that I realized how many other parts there are down there. Quite a bit lol.

We consider the bottom end the whole short block here in my area as well when it comes to 4 strokes. Top end would be head and valve train. 2 strokes here the bottom end would be crank, rod, bearings and top end is piston, rings, wrist pin.

I guess I need to start with an understanding of 2 stroke vs 4 stroke engines lol.

Back