Early Dragon Run - May 18 - 22

I'm in need if some help! @Nix. I've heard your some what of a tire expert! :). Should I get tires before the dragon or should I wait until after. I'm at about 18,500 miles on the oe Michelin's and the tread IMO seems pretty low. I don't know what tire I want if I get any. I've been looking at the bridgestone RE970AS pole position. And the Nitto motivo's. And being in tennessee. What would be better, all season or summer? Obviously is go with the higher performance ones! I'm avg. about 20k miles a year ( because while were at the dragon on Thursday that will be a year since I purchased her.)
Front
adarenu8.jpg

Rear
tusyhemy.jpg

Input from anyone would be much appreciated! And see you guys in a week!!:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nix
I'm in need if some help! @Nix. I've heard your so what of a tire expert! :). Should I get tires before the dragon or should I wait until after. I'm at about 18,500 miles on the oe Michelin's and the tread IMO seems pretty low. I don't know what tire I want if I get any. I've been looking at the bridgestone RE970AS pole position. And the Nitto motivo's. And being in tennessee. What would be better, all season or summer? Obviously is go with the higher performance ones! I'm avg. about 20k miles a year ( because while were at the dragon on Thursday that will be a year since I purchased her.)
Front
adarenu8.jpg

Rear
tusyhemy.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=157

@Monk sir you are amazing!! Thank you!!

So I've done the penny trick!
Front tread goes up to hairline on Lincoln's head and the rears have slightly more ware. So I'm good as long as it stays dry lol. As of now the forecast is sunny and in the 70's for Sunday and Monday!

I cannot wait!!!

Sorry it took me so long to respond I was extremely busy this week. I did see that I was tagged and I have been wanting to get back to you. In any case....

Did you already order your tires? I have not personally driven a Nexen 5000 but I did ride with someone who had a set of Nexen 3000 on his car and he absolutely ripped on them at the Dragon last year. He did murder the tires pretty good but they did ok performance wise. They are definitely an affordable option.

If you haven't ordered already and want the best compromise of everything with great traction and performance I would recommend you look into the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. They are spendy but a great tire.

All seasons are not a bad way to go. It just depends on what you need out of a tire. If you drive a lot and use the car for commuting then I think sticking to an all season with good wear qualities is important. If you just want max performance then get a set of summers. There is always a compromise, be it wear and tire life or dry vs wet traction and noise.

I run a set of dedicated snow/winter tires and a set of summer tires. I used to live in Northern NY so the snow tires were necessary. Here's some pics of my old summers. I wore them right out before I replaced them. Once the tires get worn below Lincolns head with the penny trick they do get kinda dangerous in the wet. I started losing traction like crazy.

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/tire-wear-after-40k-miles.10516/

n3x7o9.jpg

Wear bars were dead even with the remaining rubber. Definitely time to be replaced.

21nihec.jpg

I destroyed the inner tread lines on the two that finished their lives on the front.
4pz32p.jpg

@Nix. I can't wait either. Bruce is meeting with me on Saturday to do full details and go have done dinner!:)

Thank you for your response. In fact I ordered some Dunlop Dierzza dz 102's on tire rack this morning. Then I was talking to my buddy who works at a honda dealership where he is a tech and he said he can get tires much cheaper through a distributor they use. And then he is going to install them for me at no charge. So he talked me into buying some nexen N5000 plus. They also have those in radial's but they didn't offers a road hazard warranty like they do with the plus'. The radials have a tread rating of 420 and the plus has a 500 rating.

With my circumstances I drive about 20k miles annually and it's mostly dry here in Nashville. Mostly interstate driving also. Do I speed on the back roads and right corners, of course! But when it does rain here it is typically heavy and I'm already starting to hydroplane on the current rubber at 65mph. So with how I drive as of right now I think all seasons will suit me better in the long run.

My buddy runs them on his rsx type r. And he is pretty good with tired so I took his recommendation.

I actually was going towards the n3000 but the distributor did not offer them.

Also in the winter we usually get more ice storms then actual snow but it normally doesn't stAy around for more then 2 days.

Nice. My old tires, the worn out ones, were Dunlop DZ101s. I thought they were a pretty decent tire for the money. They definitely lasted a long time for me. They had a couple minor issues that I didn't like but other than that they really performed very well all year round. It sounds like the DZ102 is the newer updated version. You should like them pretty well.

I drove mine in some heavy rains and they did fine. I even drove them in some light snow, which they specifically stated not to do, and it was ok if you went really slow and left lots of extra space for braking. Hehe. You will know once they start to wear though. Mine got significantly louder, which I did read in some reviews, and the wet traction drops off precipitously. Hahaha.

Definitely give us a review of the tires once you get them and have a chance to drive on them.

I think you picked a very nice tire. I'm just going to mention the things I didn't like about mine, which were different, just out of curiosity let us know if you experience the same things. These were minor annoyances for a tire that did very well in every condition I forced them into and gave me nearly 40k miles of treadlife. The tread design on your tire already looks different so you may not get any of this.

It was a very square tire. Made the initial driving feel very strange and harsh. Once broken in they were much better.

once the tires were warmed up a bit most of this went away....

They seemed to get flat spots over night. The first drive of the day when they were cold they had a lumpy feeling to them as if they had developed a flat spot overnight.

The tires would pull hard to one side or the other under braking when they were cold in the mornings or on cold days. I seriously thought my alignment was way off many many times. This plus the tramline effect made for some interesting effects under hard braking.

They tended to pull and "tramline" a lot. They followed any line, crack, or groove in the road surface. It wasn't horrible but you really had to pay attention on roads they are repaving when it has those concrete lines on it before the asphalt gets laid. You know, when it looks like this:
18dyqn3miokm2jpg.jpg

Nice. My old tires, the worn out ones, were Dunlop DZ101s. I thought they were a pretty decent tire for the money. They definitely lasted a long time for me. They had a couple minor issues that I didn't like but other than that they really performed very well all year round. It sounds like the DZ102 is the newer updated version. You should like them pretty well.

I drove mine in some heavy rains and they did fine. I even drove them in some light snow, which they specifically stated not to do, and it was ok if you went really slow and left lots of extra space for braking. Hehe. You will know once they start to wear though. Mine got significantly louder, which I did read in some reviews, and the wet traction drops off precipitously. Hahaha.

Definitely give us a review of the tires once you get them and have a chance to drive on them.

I think you picked a very nice tire. I'm just going to mention the things I didn't like about mine, which were different, just out of curiosity let us know if you experience the same things. These were minor annoyances for a tire that did very well in every condition I forced them into and gave me nearly 40k miles of treadlife. The tread design on your tire already looks different so you may not get any of this.

It was a very square tire. Made the initial driving feel very strange and harsh. Once broken in they were much better.

once the tires were warmed up a bit most of this went away....

They seemed to get flat spots over night. The first drive of the day when they were cold they had a lumpy feeling to them as if they had developed a flat spot overnight.

The tires would pull hard to one side or the other under braking when they were cold in the mornings or on cold days. I seriously thought my alignment was way off many many times. This plus the tramline effect made for some interesting effects under hard braking.

They tended to pull and "tramline" a lot. They followed any line, crack, or groove in the road surface. It wasn't horrible but you really had to pay attention on roads they are repaving when it has those concrete lines on it before the asphalt gets laid. You know, when it looks like this:
18dyqn3miokm2jpg.jpg
Whoops! I forgot to mention that I've cancelled my order through tire rack for the dz 102's! I'm going with the Nexen N5000 Plus. And I will definitely so a review on those. But once I do go with a strict summer tire I will more likely choose the DZ 102's.

Ordering tires through my buddy and not having to pay installation fees and mounting and balancing and what not is going to save me over $300. I'm getting the N5000's for $74 a tire.

Very nice price indeed! hahahaha. Let me know when you're considering a full on HiPerf summer tire. Im on some new Bridgestone RE-11A and they are frickin awesome.

@Monk sir you are amazing!! Thank you!!

So I've done the penny trick!
Front tread goes up to hairline on Lincoln's head and the rears have slightly more ware. So I'm good as long as it stays dry lol. As of now the forecast is sunny and in the 70's for and Monday!

http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...mmer-performance-tires-tested-comparison-test

I went with their top-rated Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Originally designed for the new Ferrari. (See article above) Also great in the rain, just not snow. Expect 20,000 miles for the type of driving we do, not the rated 30,000. As long as the PSS are in production i won't buy another tire. If you need all season summer performance, the new Michelin A/3 will give you 95% grip of the PSS and another 10,000 miles. And with Michelin tires the miles are consistently good all the way to the wear bars. The downside is the price. $150/tire minimum.

@Nix did a tremendous amount of research on the "extreme" category. Even more grip, even less longevity. But even more fun while they last!

I'm in need if some help! @Nix. I've heard your some what of a tire expert! :). Should I get tires before the dragon or should I wait until after. I'm at about 18,500 miles on the oe Michelin's and the tread IMO seems pretty low. I don't know what tire I want if I get any. I've been looking at the bridgestone RE970AS pole position. And the Nitto motivo's. And being in tennessee. What would be better, all season or summer? Obviously is go with the higher performance ones! I'm avg. about 20k miles a year ( because while were at the dragon on Thursday that will be a year since I purchased her.)
Front
adarenu8.jpg

Rear
tusyhemy.jpg

Never did like the OE product anyway. And a ripoff for $200/tire! Whatever you get you will LOVE 10x more than the originals.

I cannot wait!!!

Sorry it took me so long to respond I was extremely busy this week. I did see that I was tagged and I have been wanting to get back to you. In any case....

Did you already order your tires? I have not personally driven a Nexen 5000 but I did ride with someone who had a set of Nexen 3000 on his car and he absolutely ripped on them at the Dragon last year. He did murder the tires pretty good but they did ok performance wise. They are definitely an affordable option.

If you haven't ordered already and want the best compromise of everything with great traction and performance I would recommend you look into the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. They are spendy but a great tire.

All seasons are not a bad way to go. It just depends on what you need out of a tire. If you drive a lot and use the car for commuting then I think sticking to an all season with good wear qualities is important. If you just want max performance then get a set of summers. There is always a compromise, be it wear and tire life or dry vs wet traction and noise.

I run a set of dedicated snow/winter tires and a set of summer tires. I used to live in Northern NY so the snow tires were necessary. Here's some pics of my old summers. I wore them right out before I replaced them. Once the tires get worn below Lincolns head with the penny trick they do get kinda dangerous in the wet. I started losing traction like crazy.

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/tire-wear-after-40k-miles.10516/

n3x7o9.jpg

Wear bars were dead even with the remaining rubber. Definitely time to be replaced.

21nihec.jpg

I destroyed the inner tread lines on the two that finished their lives on the front.
4pz32p.jpg

Back