Eibach Front Sway Bar and Full Sway Bar Kits Released!

Get ready to hit the mountain roads...Eibach has finally finished their full sway bar line-up for the 2012 Civics! The 19mm Rear bar has been out for a little while, but now the 24mm Front was has just been released. Both sway bars are 2-way adjustable as well. If you purchase them together, you save about $68 too!

As many of you may know from past experience, sway bars and coilovers are probably the two best things you can do to dramatically improve handling on Hondas, and cars in general.

Link to purchase and for more info on Eibach sway bars: Honda Civic Eibach Sway Bar Kit (Anti-Roll Kit)

I don't have any pictures of the front sway bar installed yet, although we do have a picture of the rear one installed:

17525_1358___Eibach%20bar%20on%202012%20Si.JPG

Last edited:
There is an inherently large understeer typically associated with front wheel drive cars. Increasing the rear sway bar diameter works towards reducing understeer.

Right, many people get sizing sway bars backwards. If the front of a car doesn't stick/pushes/understeer you increase the size of the bar on the rear of the car. You make the rear tires take more of the cornering load. The reason they don't put larger bars on the rear of FWD cars from the factory is: if you go into a corner too hot and let off/brake mid corner, the car will oversteer/back end comes out (doing this transfers weight to the front tires/rear tires lose grip) which many drivers don't know how to deal with. As long as you brake before the turn and then drive thru it, a larger rear bar will make the car handle much better. I honestly don't see the need to just increase the size of both bars the same amount as it will still have the factory intended understeer.

I am assuming the two holes give you some type of stiffness adjustment?
Does anyone know what each hole does and how much of a difference the two positions change the body roll?:feedback:
Here ya go. I'm answering my own question....LOL!

ANTI-ROLL-KIT HONDA CIVIC 2012 DATA:

TECHNICAL INFORMATION

FRONT:

OE bar: 18 mm (0.71 in) solid
OE measured bar rate: 9.8 N/mm (56 lbs/in)
OE bar weight: 2.9 kg (6.4 lbs)

Eibach bar: 24mm (0.95 in) solid, adjustable
Eibach measured bar rate: 2 position adjustable
P1 = 26 N/mm (148 lbs/in) +264 %
P2 = 30 N/mm (171 lbs/in) +305 %
Eibach bar weight: 5.0 kg (11 lbs)
Bushings: New urethane bushings with grease grooves.
End Link: OE

Approximate installation time: 2.0 hr

REAR:

OE bar: 15 mm (0.59 in) solid
OE measured bar rate: 8.8 N/mm (50 lbs/in)
OE bar weight: 1.7 kg (3.75 lbs)

Eibach bar: 19 mm (0.75 in) solid, adjustable
Eibach measured bar rate: 2 position adjustable
P1 = 36 N/mm (205 lbs/in) +409%
P2 = 45 N/mm (257 lbs/in) +514%

Eibach bar weight: 2.8 kg (6.3 lbs)
Bushings: New urethane bushings with grease grooves
End Link: OE

Approximate installation time: 1.0 hr

Rate comparisons are based on Honda Civic Si models.

The adjustments aren't for adjusting "body roll", they are to adjust the car's balance of understeer vs oversteer.

can anyone explain the difference between the civic (non-si) vs the civic si's sway bars? Are they designed different to avoid bumping into things underneath the car or are they designed differently to accommodate different end links?

JonnyRotten,

Good find on the detailed specs. Great info for everyone.

To answer everyone else comments/concerns, upgrading the front sway bar alone can result in increased understeer. Similarly, only upgrading the rear can result in increased oversteer in certain situations, as Stephy pointed out. Upgrading both the front and rear sway bars will give the best results. The point is to increase the stiffness of the front and rear at the same time so your handling characteristics remain neutral (or have a slight bias towards understeer like factory Honda vehicles). In the end, you will see less body roll when turning, which means better cornering performance. Other aspects of your suspension, such as camber, can be a adjusted as well to change the cornering performance of the car and the tendency to oversteer or understeer.

Thanks for all the help, I was debating and still am if upgrading the front sway bar is worth it. Also keep in mind I will not be lowering the car.

:yeahthat:

For autoX you have to get rid of the understeer which requires adjusting the factory balance of front to rear bar size.. If you set the car up where it will never oversteer, it it going to push badly when driven correctly. Replacing both bars with equally larger bars isn't going to change cornering performance as far as lap times a whole lot but would retain the factory design safety factor.

I haven't seen how the factory front bar is mounted. If it's in soft rubber, going to urethane mounts on the front with the aftermarket bar set soft might be a good street performance balance of cornering yet still retaining a bit of the factory "safety net".

Back