DIY Electrical Work inside/outside your car!

Yes, I agree with you. So, annoying that we can't do so many things as soon as we start moving. Can't even change an imid wallpaper which is 3 button touches. They let us change the clock though which is a much more complex thing to do. Smh
I wonder if one day someone will find away around this annoyance.
Yeah my buddies 2011 Jetta is able to use all functions. Such a pain in the ***.

So for the first time in two weeks it wasnt cold or potentially a tornado outside so i went to install my foglights.... and they didnt work :(
This was my failed setup:
I had the green wire plugged into the ignition fuse in the engine bay, one ground on the frame, one ground on the (-) terminal of the battery and the white wire tapped into the #12 fuse that said foglights in the engine bay. The switch was in the proper spot, and worked/lit up but never turned off, and to my dismay, my lights werent on.

@Pauly99to17 I used the diagram you sent me and there were extra wires I didnt know what to do with, thats where things got a little sketchy. I couldnt really make everything fit so i had to leave the important looking wires in the engine bay. Would buying extra wires to splice and run into the cabin fuse box help get my wires into the right fuse? Since you have the Spyder kit, you'd probably know what I mean with respect to the colored wires.

And again, I'm sorry that I keep having to ask over and over. Thanks a ton for helping me out this much guys!

So for the first time in two weeks it wasnt cold or potentially a tornado outside so i went to install my foglights.... and they didnt work :(
This was my failed setup:
I had the green wire plugged into the ignition fuse in the engine bay, one ground on the frame, one ground on the (-) terminal of the battery and the white wire tapped into the #12 fuse that said foglights in the engine bay. The switch was in the proper spot, and worked/lit up but never turned off, and to my dismay, my lights werent on.

@Pauly99to17 I used the diagram you sent me and there were extra wires I didnt know what to do with, thats where things got a little sketchy. I couldnt really make everything fit so i had to leave the important looking wires in the engine bay. Would buying extra wires to splice and run into the cabin fuse box help get my wires into the right fuse? Since you have the Spyder kit, you'd probably know what I mean with respect to the colored wires.

And again, I'm sorry that I keep having to ask over and over. Thanks a ton for helping me out this much guys!
I will look into this and get back to you ASAP.

@VNPP I don't have that green wire tapped into the engine bay fuse box. I put the power wire on the positive of the battery. I grounded the negative on the negative poke of the battery as you did. My light on the switch did not go off either.

BTW . If I understand correctly, you have the Spyder kit right?

So, I went out and checked my wiring. Check the photo and you can see the white wire with the small black box (resistor?) is attached to the positive pole and the black ground wire with the metal U end terminal is grounded to the negative pole of the battery. I don't remember the green wire. I will need to check the diagram again.

P1040949.JPG

White wire with box goes to power + on battery. Black wire with metal terminal goes to ground on battery. Green wire goes to fuse tap in cabin. I used #42 (power window), but you might not like this one. The fog lights stay on until you open a door to get out. I like it this way though.

Fog lights.JPG

Last edited:
@Pauly99to17 thanks a ton!! Yes I have the Spyder kit, it looks exactly the same except for no resistor thing on the white wire. It seems my major problem after comparing with yours was that nothing was hooked up to the (+) terminal. And so if the power window turns off after you open the door, then that will definitly solve the power draining issue. I wont be able to check at least until this weekend, but as soon as I do I will let you know!
Thanks again Pauly! :thumbsup:

White wire with box goes to power + on battery. Black wire with metal terminal goes to ground on battery. Green wire goes to fuse tap in cabin. I used #42 (power window), but you might not like this one. The fog lights stay one until you open a door to get out. I like it though.

View attachment 35467

And one last thing hopefully, what are the two things at the bottom of the picture called? It looks like these will make tapping into the fuse/battery a whole lot easier

And one last thing hopefully, what are the two things at the bottom of the picture called? It looks like these will make tapping into the fuse/battery a whole lot easier
No problem. The yellow one is called a ring terminal and you will need to connect this to the white wire. Make sure you get the correct size for the battery. The other is called a fuse tap. I put 25 W fuse in it. This will attach to the green wire and plug into cabin fuse box. You will need to extend the green wire and run it to your cabin fuse box.

Does anyone know which cabin fuse I can tap into to get constant power when keys are in?(radio, cigarette lighter etc??) Im trying to install a second female cigarette lighter, currently tapped in slot 23. it only comes on when ACC does, I want it to come on when keys are turned once, ac is off. Thanks

Hello, AlienPrime. Really helpful stuff in this page. Appreciate taking your time to help others. A question for you, I'm not the greatest with electrical work. But... I just bought some fog lights for for my 12 Civic lx coupe. And I'm just wondering if you could give me a hand where do all the wires connect to the fuse box inside the car.
This are the foglights that I currently have...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171251212420?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

And also...

how can I run the wires from the fog lights trough the firewall? to be able to reach the fuse box inside of the car?

Thanks, Bud

Attachments

• 20140425_143512.jpg
    20140425_143512.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 12
Hello, AlienPrime. Really helpful stuff in this page. Appreciate taking your time to help others. A question for you, I'm not the greatest with electrical work. But... I just bought some fog lights for for my 12 Civic lx coupe. And I'm just wondering if you could give me a hand where do all the wires connect to the fuse box inside the car.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171251212420?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

And also...

how can I run the wires from the fog lights trough the firewall? to be able to reach the fuse box inside of the car?

Thanks, Bud
looks as though these are intended for direct battery hookup. The only thing you'd have to run through the fire wall would be the fog control (switching wire) The switching wire would be the only loop in this circuit.

Here is a diagram:
NAeeM4V.png

And also...

Thanks, Bud
If you look at page #1, Diagram #5 (After) bottom circuit section, shows this in less detail :)

You should check out the DIY lighting section. Check the add fog lights ones. It will show you how.

Back