First time winter driver need advice !

make sure you hit up glacier nat. park (if you haven't already?)!!

unC6Y.jpg

Wl6wQ.jpg

zOpn1.jpg

you have a place you rent seasonally, or have family there? - not that it's my business. You don't have to post it publicly if you'd rather not discuss it. Just never known anyone who's spent time there like yourself. Ever been skiing/snowboarding at whitefish in the winter?

you have a place you rent seasonally, or have family there? - not that it's my business. You don't have to post it publicly if you'd rather not discuss it. Just never known anyone who's spent time there like yourself. Ever been skiing/snowboarding at whitefish in the winter?

Cabin on Lake Ashley. We be chillin living the high life. I could post up some pictures of our spread.. I just stick with wakeboarding.. Im never over here in the winter and I suck at snowboarding and skiing for some reason

S.D. is cool but don't forget about the traffic, smog, congestion, headaches, track homes, etc, hahaa. I guess id rather just take the backroad, the long way home haha ;)
Very true I lived there for 17 years then relocated in Oklahoma for the military place sucks but it has its perks over SD

:clapping: jealous man... that your fam? You ever go up there to snowboard/ski in the winter?

I did the research for you........... This is the best there is, and Montana is legal for studs per quote below....... so get winter tyres with studs. drive slower and smoother.

It is also permissible to use tire chains of reasonable proportions or pneumatic tires (means a tire in which compressed air or nitrogen is designed to support the load.), studded tires, that may not protrude more than one-sixteenth of an inch beyond the tire tread or that are clearly marked by the manufacturer on the sidewall "all season mud and snow", upon a vehicle when required for safety because of snow, ice, or other conditions tending to cause a vehicle to skid. The use of pneumatic tires embedded as provided in this section is permitted only between October 1 and May 31 of each year

I run dunlop graspic winter tires. Live in Northern NY. Lake effect snow and loads of ice. You can wake up to 18" and the roads haven't been plowed.

Any dedicated winter tire will do well for you. The main thing is not so much the tread design as the tire compound itself. The winter tire will allow the rubber to perform in below freezing temps whereas an all season will not function well above or below a certain temp. Also, change them out in the spring as soon as you can since they will wear down very fast.

Snow tires also do not have a utqg rating for wear and I don't believe they have to.

That is some great advanced technology and am glad to see how far they've come that it can do better than studs.............. So if we put studs on those tyres ....What then ?

I don't know a lot about them, but I know I've seen reports that stopping distances were hurt with studded tires. Especially if you start driving on roads that were cleared/salted better than others. Also, the tires that allow for studs to be installed have an actual spot for them. You can't just put them in any winter tire.

I don't know a lot about them, but I know I've seen reports that stopping distances were hurt with studded tires. Especially if you start driving on roads that were cleared/salted better than others. Also, the tires that allow for studs to be installed have an actual spot for them. You can't just put them in any winter tire.
Yeh , I've actually had studs years ago, and I can see where they wouldn't work as well on dry roads , like spiked football soles on a sidewalk.

I was thinking about the tyre company trying to market their "better than stud tyre" and then putting stud holes in them....... Probably wouldn't look good for their push to do away with studs, and studs do mess the roads up. They make water channels in the lanes.

Back