Glasscoat what is?

Thesssfactor

Queens, Ny
Vehicle Model
civic si
Body Style
Sedan
I'm looking to pick up my civic this Friday. The dealer wants to offer me a life time warranty on glass coating and a 10 year 100k bumper to bumper warranty.

Should I do the glass coating? and or get the extended warranty?

They told me that the electrical system on the car might get messed up? I think it's a joke, I'm only putting HIDs and Leds. How will the electrical system get messed up with plug and play Hids and Leds that have the decoders installed

I don't know about the lights. Glass coating is just a wax or sealant that's suppose to last longer than a regular wax(lots of threads on this forum about waxes and sealants).

As for the life time warranty 10/100 ........ you could get a real time answer, if you'd say how much it would cost for this, and if you're planning on keeping the car for a long period or not.

I don't know about the lights. Glass coating is just a wax or sealant that's suppose to last longer than a regular wax(lots of threads on this forum about waxes and sealants).

As for the life time warranty 10/100 ........ you could get a real time answer, if you'd say how much it would cost for this, and if you're planning on keeping the car for a long period or not.

Wow glass coating is just a poly sealant, u spray on and wait a hour for it dry and then u wipe it off

It's just snake oil that pads the pockets of the salesman and finance writer..as far as he warranty,look at the details.. What is the co-pay? Diagnostic fee? Look at all he fees and the contract upfront or have someone break it down, they are usually expensive and remember it s a honda,so buyer beware.

Hey Thesssfactor ,

I can't comment on the warranty but....

The jetseal is really good stuff for paint but im sure they won't do proper prep to the surface first. You would definitely be better off buying the product and doing it yourself. I also didn't think jetseal was recommended for glass, just paint.

Clean the windows really good first. Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol is great to get most stuff off the surface. You probably won't need to since your car is fairly new but, if I was putting on any type of semi-permanent coating I would clay bar the glass also.

Stoners makes a really good window cleaner that you can pick up at pep boys/auto zone.

There are other glass specific sealants out there that you may find work better than jetseal. You don't want a product that leaves waves, streaks, or that oil rainbow appearance. If the dealer is using it on glass it probably works fine. Chemical Guys generally make pretty high end stuff that is easy to use.

I usually use aquapel on my windshield. Works great for about 6 months. So I apply twice a year once in spring and once before winter.

http://www.autogeek.net/rain-repellent.html

New stuff from optimum that looks promising.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum-OPT-M36/Opti-Glass-Clean-Protect-Concentrate-P769/60-cc-S1/

serious pro level coating

http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum-OPT-M36/Opti-Glass-Coating-P768/60-cc-S1/

Last edited:
I know Nix & NthTier have used various chemical guys products.

edit - and nix beat me

Last edited:
Reactions: Nix
Hey Thesssfactor ,

I can't comment on the warranty but....

The jetseal is really good stuff for paint but im sure they won't do proper prep to the surface first. You would definitely be better off buying the product and doing it yourself. I also didn't think jetseal was recommended for glass, just paint.

"GLASS" coast is just the name, their product was going to be applied to the paint.

thanks for the info I will look into what you posted

Oh ok.... yeah there are a lot of good paint sealants out there.

Try the chemical guys blacklight. It's easier to use than the other sealants and it won't leave stains on black trim. That topped with their Hybrid V7 Spray sealant is a really nice combo. A 16oz bottle of each will cost you probably close to what one of jetseal costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nix
Oh ok.... yeah there are a lot of good paint sealants out there.

Try the chemical guys blacklight. It's easier to use than the other sealants and it won't leave stains on black trim. That topped with their Hybrid V7 Spray sealant is a really nice combo. A 16oz bottle of each will cost you probably close to what one of jetseal costs.

Is the blacklight a glaze (wax) or a pealer (polish)?

Im trying not to put any polish on the car, too scared of thinning out the clear.

It's a glaze/sealant. It has light polish capability but I haven't seen any evidence of it. It really depends on how you apply it. I think if you used a machine and a cutting foam pad you would get some correction but if you just put it on by hand or with a very soft wax pad you won't get any polishing action from it. I've used it several times on different Hondas and even though they have soft paint you won't get any polish/abrasion from it if you use it like you would a wax.

it does work really great though since the glaze aspect of it fills in a lot of the tiny micro marring scratches. It definitely improves the appearance of the paint. It lasts quite a while too since it has some type of sealant in it. Probably very similar to the jetseal just not as strong a concentration.

Back