Is a 3" exhaust to big for a N/A engine?

Now, is this a fact? Reason why I'm asking is because I'm a big fan of exhaust and I usually go all out with it. I saw a few videos of the FULL RACE exhaust with the downpipes and I love the sound it produces. All in all, I don't like being cheap with my exhaust setup.

808rallyred said:
will my cel be on if i get the catless downpipe? i'm wondering how it would sound with my tsudo exhaust bwwwwaaahhhhhh;)
RV6 said:
No CEL, a defouler is included.

Does putting on just the cat back help with power even if you don't include the downpipe?
yes, you'll have gains with just the exhaust.

I
I'm heavily leaning towards the full race system. Not sure if I should go all the way with D/P back or just cat back
i have a cat back and love the sound. you can make it quiet and when you want you can make it loudish. i would do a down pipe but i can sacrifice how loud it becomes. im overly sensitive to noise i have tinitus and work on locomotives which are loud all day i dont want to have a loud car

Then why does a 2.5" and a 3" still make power over stock N/A if the size doesn't matter. I know you're an armchair expert and all and have proven yourself to be quite the pot stirrer in your first 10 posts, with all us...what was it you called everyone?

Oh right, we're all "hardparkers." Thanks bro. Ill be sure to keep your advice in mind.

Then why does a 2.5" and a 3" still make power over stock N/A if the size doesn't matter. I know you're an armchair expert and all and have proven yourself to be quite the pot stirrer in your first 10 posts, with all us...what was it you called everyone?

Oh right, we're all "hardparkers." Thanks bro. Ill be sure to keep your advice in mind.
Quoting me out of context. Beautiful.
"Armchair Expert" I dig it.
Tell me I'm wrong though. Question on the table was, "Is 3" TOO big?"
Never said neither made power. Lets try and use common sense, amigo.

Last edited:
The theory of back-pressure is still debatable. The velocity in which exhaust gases escape plays a bigger role.

I re-read your post. You are correct. That makes more sense that I originally though. Sorry mr.curry!

(im a jerk)

Last edited:
I put a full race cat back and I love it. The sound is incredible and the throttle feels much more responsive. There is a huge difference not only in sound but in performance from the tsudo 70mm (i could never get it to stop leaking) to the full race. I plan on tuning but as of right now just to much money to tune.
The tsudo doesn't sound as nice either, then there's the rattling, as u said the leaking. I bought mine used with a resonator so doesn't sound bad at all but I lost hp, now my car is slower though I tried fixing the leak and feels smoother now, haven't really tested to see if I got gains

buy the 3in exhaust that way you buy once and do not have to "RE-BUY" another exhaust. my really good friend did a k20/k24 frank build on his FA5 and he picked up 15whp over a 2.5in exhaust. the k series engines love to breathe as much as possible. even on my FG2 when i switched from the vibrant 2.5 to full race 3in i picked up 14whp up top and over 25whp in the mid range. ( i did have other supporting mods. i was all motor my self. stage 2 cams and megapower header v2) but still the gains over a 2.5in exhaust are pretty good. i have always been the same about the 3in exhaust is to much for a N/A car i used to deal with a lot of mustang my brothers have them and they only run 2.5in but once they saw my car pickup that kinda power they understood. im just saying a 2.5in exhaust will do just great. will have great gains. but the 3in exhaust will do better, even more gains, and will be the only exhaust you will ever need! but that is completely up you guys. i know i will be a 3in exhaust either ultimate racing or full race.

I just received my full race 3" cat back today and they are coating my high flow downpipe with titanium as I speak! I will put together a build thread soon to bring all my mods together so far!

What the hell is a flashpro? I take it is a form of tuner but is it a hand help tuner or something that hooks up to your ecu.

Is there a big difference in sound from a 3 to a 2.5 inch. I remember on my GSR I just had 3 inch but I had a resonater in between the muffler to kill some of the ricey sound. It made it have a deeper tone. I have yet to use a full exhaust like greddy and would love to hear the sound. At my age I still love my toys but hearing high piched exhaust all day gets truly old. Anyone have any ideas on a old man exhaust for a 2013 si.

Back