Joe's Super Clean R18 Build Thread - March '14 & 15' ROTM Winner

yea i picked up a nikon d3200 for the wife and my new born but its turning into more of me taking pics of my si lol

yea i will be posting pics up soon just got the car back from the body shop from a bad accident from a stupid 17 year old kid that took a light. But hopefully all my parts get here soon so i can start messing with it

so i didn't want to make a thread or bother searching lol, but here's a question for you guys. so i always thought that the maintenance minder in the imid would tell you that you need an oil change after every 5000 miles. the last time i did an oil change and reset it i was at 23600 and now im closing into 30000 and still nothing? when i go into maintenance info it still displays 30%. what's up with that? the last time i changed it i used royal purple, replaced the oil filter & the cabin air filter, although that should be irrelevant to whats going on here.

does the system actually read oil consumption? cause i always thought it just lets you know after every 5000 miles.

Last edited:
so i didn't want to make a thread or bother searching lol, but here's a question for you guys. so i always thought that the maintenance minder in the imid would tell you that you need an oil change after every 5000 miles. the last time i did an oil change and reset it i was at 23600 and now im closing into 30000 and still nothing? when i go into maintenance info it still displays 30%. what's up with that? the last time i changed it i used royal purple, replaced the oil filter & the cabin air filter, although that should be irrelevant to whats going on here.

does the system actually read oil consumption? cause i always thought it just lets you know after every 5000 miles.

you should actually check it. i read from a few people that the imid read it at 50% and he manually checked it and he needed an oil change.

for me though, i don't get the notice for quite awhile sometimes. i get it maybe every 8000 miles or so i think. been awhile since i did an oil change.

The oil percentage is purely an indicator to figure in miles, rpms the car was driven at, cold starts etc. Then it has an algorithm to determine oil life left. Following the indicator to 15% usually ended up being around 7k miles from my experiences. The manual suggests doing oil changes at 15% and not going by a set number of miles. Honda has been doing that on a number of vehicles for 6+ years now.

hmm..what next?

enginebay_zps411d75a1.jpg

My engine bay? I mean every now and then I'd quickly wipe down the surfaces with a wet towel. That's really it. Maybe how dirty it gets just depends on where you drive.

Happy belated Sibling Day!

photo_zps8907528d.jpg

decided to install something i've had for a little while..

image_zps27b6ac39.jpg

with the tbs you definitely get better throttle response. i don't have to put my foot down as hard to actually feel it pull. great little mod!

Last edited:
Nice! Mine will be going on after my next Honda service which is on Thursday.
Did you notch the white plastic piece or leave it as is?

You mean the gasket thing it came with? Yeah I used it.
Also took the car for a long distance drive today. Believe it or not, gas mileage has improved as well!

Ya, I was wondering if you made a notch in that white gasket. I remember seeing someone had made a small cut in it before installing.

the diy i looked up didn't seem to say anything about a cut so i just left it as is.

Back