Made in China NAVI

Ron Flood

Haida Gwaii
Vehicle Model
EX
Body Style
Sedan
I recently bought and aftermarket NAVI unit off of eBay... Heres my thoughts so far...

works and looks great but havent been able to get the steeringwheel controls to work through the CAN-BUS, the seller is working with me to get that going. sound quality is about the same as the stock stereo, but a little louder. when i put my car in reverse, the screen goes blank and is searching for a camera, got one on the way.... :) altho the unit itself is smooth not textured like the civic dash, its a very close match to color. theres more a contrast in the picture than in real life, trust me... and the screen is HUGE!!! :)

IMG01107-20120330-1826.jpg

pac audio usually makes adapters to work with the steering wheel controls. Nothing is showing for the 2012 yet though. May be worth shooting them an email to see what their progress is.

here is the one for the 8th, but they work for specific brands. I don't know if their product would work on yours. It says :JVC, Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood, OEM, Valor & Blaupunkt Radios
http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=207&CategoryID=29

this unit has steeringwheel control or CAN-BUS as they call it, just no instructions.... and yes your right, the PAC unit and another has been updated for the new 2012 civics as far as i understand... but this unit is sposed to work with my steeringwheel controls.. ;)

and the fact i live in the middle of nowhere, and the supplied iGO Navi software works great is awesome.. :)

Did yo do the install? Care to share pricing, or brand info?

hahah yes im a do it yourselfer.. lol from my research pretty much most 2012 made in china units include the CAN-BUS controller for a steeringwheel.. i have seen about 3 different brands look and have the same specs as mine.. altho honestly i have no idea what brand it is.. lol its price in $399, but after a few offers and counter offers got it for $365 with shipping from HK. one of the main reasons i bought this unit is because it said it included software and maps... US, Canada and mexico in my case... it has windows CE 6.0 so there are alot of other options out there if you so desire... but iGo seems to do the trick honestly... its only a matter of unclicking the dash above the steeringwheel etc, wich the XM radio instructions show you how and a couple screws and bolts... beneath the unit itself to get out the aux power and usb under-panel... id really suggest buying a plastic trim removal tool set for the job.. using a screwdriver is not a good idea...

yes thats the one, from sound impressions. they are really good to deal with.. but still no instructions... instructions included would be so helpful for the steeringwheel controls.. but everything else is pretty basic...

yes is should, other than bluetooth everything is built into it and it does have CAN-BUS.. just a matter of hooking up the right wires from the steeringwheel to the CAN-BUS controller.. :)

That is very nice. I don't know if you have USB port in your center console, but if you do, does it work with this unit? And also what kind of back-up cam did you purchase?

yes i have the USB in the center console, but it only charges now.. no USB support to the deck. the deck itself had mini USB in the front and normal USB in the rear wich i will get a little longer A-B USB cable and plumb it to the center console.. i just bought a cheap-o back-up cam... just needs a power lead(via the back up light wire) and a yellow RCA video out... pretty basic.. i think i paid $15...

do you know if they offer any type of map packs? Like, say 2yrs from now you want to update the map software... is there some type of option?

actually since its windows CE 6.0, there are alot of different programs and maps u can use... u essentially put the map software on a microSD card and in the HeadUnit settings and tell it what program to run.. folders etc... its kinda like old DOS, commands and changing folders... the program thats comes with this unit is IGo.exe, and its just a matter of downloading the map pack online and putting it in the MAP folder. I think i may try TOMTOM tho....

yes it will, but requires the right program to do that... the iGo maps i have i do believe tomtom will not read.... essentially the unit comes with windows CE 6.0 burned into flash on the unit itself and you go from there like any operating system... pretty much, if a certain program has windows support, it will run... hope this clarifies everything... the only thing other more expensive units have, is a faster processor.. but a 400mhz samsung with 512k ram works just fine honestly.. :)

guess I just figured anything like tomtom/garmin or whatnot would be proprietary to their devices. I have no clue what OS they run off.

ya thats true.. garmin im sure is proprietary, but i kno for fact alot of made in china units use tomtom, route66, iGo and another one that eludes my brain .... but i think its more to do with map royalties.... yes its alot to do with selling hardware, but everything in modern cars has alot to do with software now too.. anywhere a buck is to be made .... ;)

Back