Blimpcity

Jezza
VIP Member
NEO
Vehicle Model
Civic Type R - FK8
Body Style
Sedan
This is a long shot, but figured I'd start here.

So, long story short, I have a racoon that's squatting in my garage. I picked up some pizza and fried chicken yesterday and the aroma was too tempting for said racoon. Once the garage door was closed, she came down to investigate and made some attempts at entering my car. Lots of paw prints everywhere including the door handles. I don't think there is any serious scratching of paint. At least not that I could tell after a got a quick wash today. However, she did damage the rubber weather seal on the moonroof. The damage is severe enough that water does get in now (confirmed at said car wash).

IMG_6688.JPGIMG_6696.JPG

I've been researching a replacement rubber seal and it looks like I can buy the part from College Hills Honda https://www.collegehillshondaparts.com/oem-parts/honda-seal-sunroof-glass-70205t2aa01). However, I'm not entirely sure if this is the exact part. I also found this video on YouTube (
View: https://youtu.be/1j7wZa9wtDs
) and this guys is stating you have to replace the whole glass assembly and you cannot just replace the gasket. There does not seem to be a lot of information about this type of thing online and it seems rather ridiculous and unreasonable that the glass would need to be replaced. I was hoping some of you might have some insight.

Note, this is a 2019 Civic Si Coupe. Oh, and Steelers suck! Go Browns! In the playoff's baby!

that appears to be just the rubber strip. You can see it in this pic here -

The glass part looks to be over $300. I'm not sure why he would say you cannot buy the gasket seeing as how the gasket is for sale. If you buy it from college hills, just ask the parts people. They can easily confirm the gasket you have linked.

and go browns

that appears to be just the rubber strip. You can see it in this pic here -

The glass part looks to be over $300. I'm not sure why he would say you cannot buy the gasket seeing as how the gasket is for sale. If you buy it from college hills, just ask the parts people. They can easily confirm the gasket you have linked.

and go browns
I gave College Hills a call today and confirmed this is the part. Placed my order which should be here in a couple days!

So, the part arrived today. In order to replace, I had to remove the moonroof from the car. This was an easy process and involved removal of 4 torx screws. The video I shared in my initial post shows this process. Once the moonroof was out of the car, extracting the damaged weather-strip was pretty easy. It has a solid rubber lip that inserts in a grove around the outside of the glass and is held in place by friction only. Installation of the new weather-strip was also easy and straight forward. I just had to push the solid rubber lip in to the groove pressing firmly to make sure it seated fully. Also, the part is a single piece so there is no concern about a seam.

The only difficulty I experienced was reinstalling the moonroof which the aforementioned video also addressed. You might be able to do this yourself, but it would be pretty difficult. I had my wife help. The total time involved in replacement was about 30 minutes but I took my time.

i had a really hard time putting the seal back into my sunroof glass when i tried to fix it. i ended up replacing the entire thing because it was rotted.

Interesting post! My Si is still very new to me and the gasket around the moonroof is pulling up on the side towards the front of the car. I did put some shin-etsu grease on it when I first got the car and it looks like its helping but I may just have to replace it.

@Blimpcity @Dad @Janz3n

What was the part number you guys bought and what car do you have.

Currently looking for a new seal and the “Honda” sites say there is no seal to replace on a 2015 Civic Si sedan.

But in the above posts it’s clear that a seal was replaced.

I bought the entire sunroof glass as the frame was corroded. I think I removed the seal on my old one and attempted to re install it but it wasn't fun.

I bought the entire sunroof glass as the frame was corroded. I think I removed the seal on my old one and attempted to re install it but it wasn't fun.
Yeah.....gonna try that tonight. Seems like either the part number for the part in the above posts have changed or no longer available. If you look for the 2015 Honda Civic Si sedan seal alone....is not available now. Only shows you the part number for the glas and seal together for $300.

I'm just going to put the seal back on tonight as I cleaned up all the rust and painted the frame yesterday. If it becomes an issue down the road, I guess I'll fork out the money for the new glass and seal.

Yeah.....gonna try that tonight. Seems like either the part number for the part in the above posts have changed or no longer available. If you look for the 2015 Honda Civic Si sedan seal alone....is not available now. Only shows you the part number for the glas and seal together for $300.

I'm just going to put the seal back on tonight as I cleaned up all the rust and painted the frame yesterday. If it becomes an issue down the road, I guess I'll fork out the money for the new glass and seal.
mine was so rusty , it wasnt worth doing just the seal also. i feel like i paid $300 for mine.

Ended up taking 2:30 hours to put the seal back on. Such a pita to get is all to lay down nicely.

I put the glass back on the frame and it seals nice and tight but the front end of the seal pushes up past the metal roof and the back side sits nice and flush.

I don’t think I can adjust it any more to have the front side air lower. Just gonna leave it as is and might mess with it another time.

Ended up taking 2:30 hours to put the seal back on. Such a pita to get is all to lay down nicely.

I put the glass back on the frame and it seals nice and tight but the front end of the seal pushes up past the metal roof and the back side sits nice and flush.

I don’t think I can adjust it any more to have the front side air lower. Just gonna leave it as is and might mess with it another time.
Lol. Yeah. This is why I spent the money on a new one. The seal is clearly not really designed to be replaced. Always wondered if they changed the design so that it doesn't rust like the old one.

Should be able to adjust it more. Although mine pushes the seal up a bit in the front sometimes.

Back