Need Help: Side Molding on Si Sedan

Beeshabo

Okay, so a couple days ago someone left me a nice door ding with a paint chip on top of it, yeah, double whammy.

But, last night I noticed the damage may be in a spot where the side molding will/may cover it, so I was hoping someone can take some measurements for me.

The damage is on the drivers door (front), below is an image and measurements of where the dent/chip is, give or take a 16th of an inch. I know the molding is 2'' wide, so having to mount them an 8th of an inch higher or lower won't be a problem...with a naked eye, you won't be able to tell they're slightly off, I'm sure most aren't mounted perfectly anyways.

9410078864_1749e8df86_b.jpg

So, I was hoping to get measurements for the following:

- From the bottom of the door to the bottom of the molding
- From the bottom of the door to the top of the molding

I'd like the measurements to be measured vertically aligned with the center of the door handle.

I'd REALLY appreciate some help! Thanks fellas.

Last edited:
Front door: Front leading edge: 27.5cm (10.83"), Rear edge: 29.8cm (11.73")
Rear door: front leading edge: 30cm (11.81"), rear edge 32cm (12.6")

Last edited:

Thanks. But I need the bottom of the door to bottom of molding, and the bottom of the door to the top of the molding.

What's the "front leading edge"? & "rear edge"?

These are bottom of door to bottom of molding. The moldings are 2" in height. Factor those 2" into the above measurements and you'll have what you need. I measured yesterday for my car and the chip I want to cover is slightly higher. You don't HAVE to put them exactly where Honda indicates.

Oh and the front and rear edges are just that - the front-most point of each molding and the rear-most point of each molding.

These are bottom of door to bottom of molding. The moldings are 2" in height. Factor those 2" into the above measurements and you'll have what you need. I measured yesterday for my car and the chip I want to cover is slightly higher. You don't HAVE to put them exactly where Honda indicates.

Did some quick photoshop of the moldings and measurements...is this what you mean? Also, will the measurements vary from Si Sedan and let's say an LX Sedan?

9408006777_27604e2f47_b.jpg

How much higher was/is your damage? From the measurements you've given me, looks like I'll need to move it about 0.125" - 0.25", which is NOTHING.

Did some quick photoshop of the moldings and measurements...is this what you mean? Also, will the measurements vary from Si Sedan and let's say an LX Sedan?

9408006777_27604e2f47_b.jpg

Yeah that's exactly what I mean. The doors are the same between all trims.

How much higher was/is your damage? From the measurements you've given me, looks like I'll need to move it about 0.125" - 0.25", which is NOTHING.

My chip is about 14.75" from the bottom of the door. So I'd have to install them an inch or two higher.

My chip is about 14.75" from the bottom of the door. So I'd have to install them an inch or two higher.

Oh, well mine is about 13.75" from the rear edge of the door up towards the door handle, it's almost located directly center with the handle, Looks like I'm good, wouldn't you say so?

Last edited:
Oh, well mine is about 13.75" from the rear edge of the door up towards the door handle, it's almost located directly center with the handle, Looks like I'm good, wouldn't you say so?

They should look fine there. I'll probably end up buying a set and just installing them where I need to and go from there. An inch or two higher shouldn't look bad.

You may just be better off getting the it repaired. The side moldings, with member discount, through CollegeHillsHonda for a Sedan are $162. It quotes me at $12 shipping. You are already up to $175. Shouldn't cost that much more for a repair and then you can avoid the ugly side moldings. (sorry to those who like them)

Maybe CHH could quote you on a repair price to give you an idea?

You may just be better off getting the it repaired. The side moldings, with member discount, through CollegeHillsHonda for a Sedan are $162. It quotes me at $12 shipping. You are already up to $175. Shouldn't cost that much more for a repair and then you can avoid the ugly side moldings. (sorry to those who like them)

Well honestly, I like the side moldings, I know most don't, but I like the look and I actually considered them a few months ago, and now seeing as how I got a dent RIGHT where the moldings will be mounted, it makes me feel as though they'll provide decent protection ya know?

AND, I did get a quote for repair, $520 to make it look as though nothing happened, pricey, but it's a body shop my family and I have used for over 10 years, they've done all our body work and they've always left us VERY satisfied. Plus, when it comes to body work, "you get what you pay for" is something to remember, cheaper (less expensive) isn't always better.

Last edited:

For some reason I like them on PMM, but that's just me. I went to my local Honda dealership last year to have them look at a dent and possibly schedule a repair with Dent Wizard. The service associate I dealt with told me to "deal with the dent being there."

Well honestly, I like the side moldings, I know most don't, but I like the look and I actually considered them a few months ago, and now seeing as how I got a dent RIGHT where the moldings will be mounted, it makes me feel as though they'll provide decent protection ya know?

AND, I did get a quote for repair, $520 to make it look as though nothing happened, pricey, but it's a body shop my family and I have used for over 10 years, they've done all our body work and they've always left us VERY satisfied. Plus, when it comes to body work, "you get what you pay for" is something to remember, cheaper (less expensive) isn't always better.

Sounds like you have your solution then. Just make sure to seal up the chip before putting the moldings on. You don't want to have it rust out from underneath. I don't like the looks of the side moldings, but I did get the edge guards. Just comes down to personal preference.

For some reason I like them on PMM, but that's just me. I went to my local Honda dealership last year to have them look at a dent and possibly schedule a repair with Dent Wizard. The service associate I dealt with told me to "deal with the dent being there."

Yeah, I wouldn't mind so much if it were JUST a dent, those dent wizards are just that, wizards...I used to work at a dealer and the quality of work they do is mesmerizing, I've seen them remove dents/dings I didn't think could be fixed without body & paint work, so if it were just a ding I'd pay the $100 or so to have it fixed.

But, not only do I have a ding, but I have a chip right on top of it as well, the dent/chip is less than .25'' (radius), so the moldings should work perfectly. I'm so glad cause I did NOT want to pay $520, nor did I want to use touch-up paint, it probably would've been more noticeable....whew!!

Last edited:
Sounds like you have your solution then. Just make sure to seal up the chip before putting the moldings on. You don't want to have it rust out from underneath. I don't like the looks of the side moldings, but I did get the edge guards. Just comes down to personal preference.

For sure, I'm gonna wash my car, have that scratch/chip buffed and smoothed as much as possible then I'll cover it with some touch-up paint before I mount the moldings.

Back