New owners of a Civic SI

Congrats on your purchase. I had a chance to drive the Si and its a blast. I really enjoy my EX though, but I still dream of that vtec sometimes...

Congrats on your purchase. I had a chance to drive the Si and its a blast. I really enjoy my EX though, but I still dream of that vtec sometimes...

Just a little fyi, your car is a V-Tec engine, just less HP.

Peek Under the Hood
The Civic offers the brisk performance of a 140-hp, 1.8-liter, 16-valve, SOHC i-VTEC® engine that has been refined for 2012 with many friction-reducing and airflow improvements.

Just a little fyi, your car is a V-Tec engine, just less HP.

Peek Under the Hood
The Civic offers the brisk performance of a 140-hp, 1.8-liter, 16-valve, SOHC i-VTEC® engine that has been refined for 2012 with many friction-reducing and airflow improvements.

Wow! I really didn't know that. I guess we just don't get the cool decals...

So, when I get into my higher rpm and the torque picks up, that's the vtec engaging?

Sport injected!! Damn! I was wrong lol we were placing bets I new it stood for sport but couldn't figure out the i lol

We haven't hit v-tec yet, she brought it up to 4700rpm yesterday and the v-Tec gauge didn't do anything so I figured it needed to be higher

I thought I read on here some where v-tec doesn't engage until 6200rpms I could be full of it though lol

I didn't tell her that either because I don't want her reving that high! LOL

Nice car! Hope you guys like it.

Wow! I really didn't know that. I guess we just don't get the cool decals...

So, when I get into my higher rpm and the torque picks up, that's the vtec engaging?
Not to thread jack completely but...

VTEC on the non-si models is not the same. It is essentially the reverse to help with lowering emissions and improving mileage not power. Once you get over 3k on the 8th gen you are out of "VTEC" and into a normal cam range. I'm not sure where the new cutoff might be but with the same R18 block it's probably the same.They have essentially managed to put two cam profiles on one cam. iVTEC is for mileage not power unfortunately. The car does feel quite alive in the higher range though.

If you want the real techy bits...

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/RiVTEC/index.html

Nix , Thx that's the kind of info I like, I just finished studying(reading)the whole link............. I like the engine even better than before , and also learning the difference between the vtec of my MC vs the 1.8 Coupe.

If I had a ST it would have told me straight-up that nothing is kicking in at a certain rpm, but with the automatic(and being my 1st) any changes were just normal gear changes of an automatic, I did keep trying to find that burst of energy that my MC gives me and never found the transition point, just wrote it down as something to do with an auto-T.
But this link will help me to understand more about what to expect and how/when to choose which mode to use.

Sport injected!! Damn! I was wrong lol we were placing bets I new it stood for sport but couldn't figure out the i lol

We haven't hit v-tec yet, she brought it up to 4700rpm yesterday and the v-Tec gauge didn't do anything so I figured it needed to be higher

I thought I read on here some where v-tec doesn't engage until 6200rpms I could be full of it though lol

I didn't tell her that either because I don't want her reving that high! LOL
Seriously get it into 2nd and floor it. At least once. Light that vtec light up and you'll see what owning an Si is all about. At least that's what I would do lol. I did that on the test drive though. I think the salesman enjoyed it more than me :D and yes vtec engages at 6200

The vtec dash lights start at 5200rpm and go to 7k rpm. I would advise you to use the whole rpm range to break the motor in. Especially with some users who dealt with oil consumption. I think some said they never went into vtec or high rpms initially. I'm not trying to scare you, but I'd advise you to drive the car into the high rpm ranges randomly for proper break-in.

I've recently started testing the V-Tec in my Si. I have a great entrance ramp on the local freeway that allows me to get up to 5/6K RPM before merging. Keeping the RPM's up through the gears with the V-Tec lights illuminated has given me a feeling similar to a turbo. It's really given me a new appreciation for what the Si can do. Mine is mechanically all stock at this point, so I wonder how much ECU re-flash, CAI, and cat-back exhaust will improve it.

Welcome to the site and I hope enjoy your Si. I love the white!

I've recently started testing the V-Tec in my Si. I have a great entrance ramp on the local freeway that allows me to get up to 5/6K RPM before merging. Keeping the RPM's up through the gears with the V-Tec lights illuminated has given me a feeling similar to a turbo. It's really given me a new appreciation for what the Si can do. Mine is mechanically all stock at this point, so I wonder how much ECU re-flash, CAI, and cat-back exhaust will improve it.

Welcome to the site and I hope enjoy your Si. I love the white!
I myself wonder what and if any gains that can be felt and proven that combo would get. I've seen a few post from people feeling faster but loosing 1/4 mile times with an intake. I can only assume its the ecu pulling timing because of the increased airflow. I'm hestitant on modding the car after reading that stuff tbh

I myself wonder what and if any gains that can be felt and proven that combo would get. I've seen a few post from people feeling faster but loosing 1/4 mile times with an intake. I can only assume its the ecu pulling timing because of the increased airflow. I'm hestitant on modding the car after reading that stuff tbh

One word...........Manifold-spacer(actually two words).........
http://www.procivic.com/pages-product_car_part_info/category-70_140/product-1060/index.html

The vtec dash lights start at 5200rpm and go to 7k rpm. I would advise you to use the whole rpm range to break the motor in. Especially with some users who dealt with oil consumption. I think some said they never went into vtec or high rpms initially. I'm not trying to scare you, but I'd advise you to drive the car into the high rpm ranges randomly for proper break-in.

Oh Jesus webby thanks allot! Lol now Your forcing me to rev it up!! Lol ;)

Naaah I totally understand when I finish building my street motors ( that I race regularly ) I break them in with 10-w30 ( these are ford motors, 302, 351 base motors) and drive 500 mile break in, high way speeds I cruise 75, then 55, then 65 then maybe back to 55 or 75 to make sure the piston move and touch the cylinder walls all over and not just at 75mph

After 500 miles I drain the oil throw in my 5-w20 synthetic and beat the hell out of them

I don't do this with my every day car though lol I fully under stand what u guys are saying

When she ( she's drivin it because its her car and she's got the feeling of shifting with it better then me right now) when she attempts to hit vtec should she say be in 4th gear and wack it to 6500? Then shift it?

How does that make it to where you see gains from mods instead of loses?

P2R Throttle Body Spacer Description
A P2R throttle body spacer is one of the most cost-effective and simple power modifications you can make. This 3/4" throttle body spacer is designed to fit in between your intake manifold and throttle body, creating a larger volume of air in the intake manifold and optimizing the air path to the cylinders. Tests on a 06 Civic Si produced a 5 horsepower gain to the wheels. Other applications will see similar (or greater) gains. For such a simple modification, this is a great gain! In addition, this spacer can be used with P2R throttle body gaskets (if available) to further increase horsepower gains (we recommend buying two to cover each end of the spacer).

Key Features:
  • Very simple and inexpensive modification that adds 5+ wheel horsepower!
  • Comes equipped with a 1/8th inch NPT threaded port (except on R18 spacer) that can be used for nitrous or as an extra vacuum port.
  • Includes extended bolts and plug.
  • Available in several eye-catching colors, and polished to a brilliant show-quality shine.
  • Can be used with P2R throttle body gaskets to further increase horsepower gains (may not be available for all applications).
Fitment Notes: Because this spacer effectively "extends" your throttle body position, some aftermarket intakes, especially cold air intakes, may not fit as intended by the manufacturer. For most Honda Civics, simply loosening and re-tightening the intake is all that is required for proper fitment.

P2R Throttle Body Spacer Description
A P2R throttle body spacer is one of the most cost-effective and simple power modifications you can make. This 3/4" throttle body spacer is designed to fit in between your intake manifold and throttle body, creating a larger volume of air in the intake manifold and optimizing the air path to the cylinders. Tests on a 06 Civic Si produced a 5 horsepower gain to the wheels. Other applications will see similar (or greater) gains. For such a simple modification, this is a great gain! In addition, this spacer can be used with P2R throttle body gaskets (if available) to further increase horsepower gains (we recommend buying two to cover each end of the spacer).

Key Features:
  • Very simple and inexpensive modification that adds 5+ wheel horsepower!
  • Comes equipped with a 1/8th inch NPT threaded port (except on R18 spacer) that can be used for nitrous or as an extra vacuum port.
  • Includes extended bolts and plug.
  • Available in several eye-catching colors, and polished to a brilliant show-quality shine.
  • Can be used with P2R throttle body gaskets to further increase horsepower gains (may not be available for all applications).
Fitment Notes: Because this spacer effectively "extends" your throttle body position, some aftermarket intakes, especially cold air intakes, may not fit as intended by the manufacturer. For most Honda Civics, simply loosening and re-tightening the intake is all that is required for proper fitment.
I read the the details. I guess my question is is the reason people are loosing times with an intake because the ecu is pulling timing? Does the flashpro or reflash take care of this? It would suck to buy an intake and exhaust and lose power. So I'm wondering like the above poster if combining that with an ecu flash would make you actually get the gains your supposed to from those mods. Knowing the answer to those would let me know if basic mods are worth it on this engine. OP sorry for accidentally hijacking the thread. I'll stop after this.

Back