new to the honda scene

Eh, the "test pipe" is going to replace the stock down pipe on your car. There isn't a "header" on these cars just the down pipe from the exhaust manifold. The exhaust dumps straight out the front of the engine and directly into the main cat. The test pipe replaces that part. You can't replace that with a glass pack. A glass pack would have to be custom welded in most likely into the mid pipe somewhere towards the muffler. Glass packs are more of an alternative to a resonator. They change the sound of the exhaust but you generally find them further back on the exhaust near the muffler.

The test pipe does free up a lot of power but also a ton of noise as well. You also wouldn't be able to pass emissions if you needed to since the cat would be gone.

Heres the engine pic if its easier to understand. The cat is the big round thing.

9eec81637ea03a9409da0b7a2abfedea.gif
Pretty sure the test pipe only replaces the 2nd cat, not the downpipe. Most aftermarket downpipes replace both cats with one piece. Stock it's engine > catted downpipe > 2nd cat > piping with resonator > axle back muffler and tip. Test pipe replaced the 2nd cat and bolts the downpipe and catback together. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Pretty sure the test pipe only replaces the 2nd cat, not the downpipe. Most aftermarket downpipes replace both cats with one piece. Stock it's engine > catted downpipe > 2nd cat > piping with resonator > axle back muffler and tip. Test pipe replaced the 2nd cat and bolts the downpipe and catback together. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Thats what i thought man know anything about the glasspack ?

Thats what i thought man know anything about the glasspack ?

Si and non-si are different exhaust setups. On the R18 motor its: engine - cat - mid pipe - resonator - axle back (muffler).

No real "down pipe" on the R18. Just straight off the exhaust port into the cat. Hence, they get to run a "test pipe" that replaces that section. No second cat either. The R18 exhaust dumps out on the front of the engine and the intake manifold is on the back. On the Si the intake manifold is on the front and the exhaust is out the back. Totally different engines and configurations.

I was going to mention that I thought glass packs were mostly a muscle car thing, especially older muscle cars, but hey, people try new stuff all the time.

Si and non-si are different exhaust setups. On the R18 motor its: engine - cat - mid pipe - resonator - axle back (muffler).

No real "down pipe" on the R18. Just straight off the exhaust port into the cat. Hence, they get to run a "test pipe" that replaces that section. No second cat either. The R18 exhaust dumps out on the front of the engine and the intake manifold is on the back. On the Si the intake manifold is on the front and the exhaust is out the back. Totally different engines and configurations.

I was going to mention that I thought glass packs were mostly a muscle car thing, especially older muscle cars, but hey, people try new stuff all the time.
Ah I didn't realize he was talking about an r18. Reading fail. So since it's a r18 what's the point? Why not just keep the exhaust stock.

Reactions: Nix
Axle back is a great way to go and it sounds like he already hit that point. It looks a lot better with a nice tip sticking out in stead of one of those rusty bits of "hey here's the tail pipe."

You "can" get more power with a larger exhaust but the real restriction is that cat first thing on the exhaust side. The test pipe is really really loud though. Even the R18 supercharger kits are being run and tested with the stock exhaust. The real weak point in FI setups on the R18 is the intake manifold. It's a type of plastic and it tends to fold under higher boost pressures. There is an aftermarket one from Weapon R that apparently works very well but is $600 on its own.

Axle back is a great way to go and it sounds like he already hit that point. It looks a lot better with a nice tip sticking out in stead of one of those rusty bits of "hey here's the tail pipe."

You "can" get more power with a larger exhaust but the real restriction is that cat first thing on the exhaust side. The test pipe is really really loud though. Even the R18 supercharger kits are being run and tested with the stock exhaust. The real weak point in FI setups on the R18 is the intake manifold. It's a type of plastic and it tends to fold under higher boost pressures. There is an aftermarket one from Weapon R that apparently works very well but is $600 on its own.
Gato or something on 420's car

Back