odd noise

connorsaj

Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
4 Door Si
This has happened to me a handful of times now. When I am pulling out in first gear my car will make a squealing noise, like a belt squealing or something. It is only a second or two and does not happen every time. I plan on taking it to the dealership to get looked at, but I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what it is to point them in the right direction. It only happens occasionally and only in first gear, have not heard it when pulling out in second.

removed the other thread - you have a serpentine belt that could be making noise, but I can't imagine why it'd be making noise on a new car. Can you think back to it happening when temperatures were cold (or just starting the car)? Or it happens at any random point?

Regardless, I'd take it to the dealer and see if you can get it to happen while on a test ride or something. They can look over the belt and see if it's worn, or if something else is potentially wrong. It'll be covered under warranty

Thanks for the help on the second thread. It seems to do it more often if I am pulling out on a slight uphill grade more so then other times. There are only 18,000 miles on the car, I am hoping when I take it in that it does it for them when they test drive it.

I've had the same problem too! It happens more often going uphill or coming out of reverse. It's weird! At first I thought it might've been my axle..but lately I'm starting to think its the tranny. Seems like the slower I let off it (I know its bad) the more it creeks sorta. I tried bringing it to the dealer but they said they needed to duplicate the noise multiple times so they can hear where it's coming from and can look for it. So if you do take it in, good luck! Keep us updated!

The video does not match my squeal.. Still have not had time to take it to the shop, however it has not done it since I posted on here. Im assuming it did not magically go away, but I would prefer it make the noise when I take it in the shop

Did you ever figure this out it just happened to me I was taking off and my car squealed when letting off the clutch only twice today and the first time was today?! Help please

Sometimes when things are very very new odd noises happen. Thermal expansion/shrinkage on parts that haven't been heat cycled a lot can do some odd things. Hence the "it only does it sometimes" phenomenon. Parts that make contact with each other do need to wear into the other one and its possible that you are just at that right point in the process to hear a noise. I'm not saying something isn't wrong but if it does it a couple times and then never again I wouldn't worry too much. Engine noises, and noises that get louder and softer with acceleration/deceleration and are reproducible by the same or turning left/right should definitely be checked out.

Some people have had to have their clutch replaced for noises very similar to what youre describing. Something about the springs coming apart and hitting the flywheel sometimes when releasing the clutch.

Back