Official Computer Talk Thread

hm, was wondering if could get some help maybe? i have an asus n61jq (the one thats discontinued and was $1k+) and its pretty fcken awesome laptop (given it is an i7) but the battery life and among other things are horrid. i got iy the summer before my freshman year of college 2010 and everything was honky dori but the battery life was starting to die down very quickly. did a little research and these things have the worst battery ever. so i was thinking of of getting a new battery, did a little research, even after the battery replacements these things still suck ***. so im in the market for a new laptop and was hoping you nerds (=P) would help me out.

looking for something with
-good battery life
-backlit keyboard
-above average processor
-average to above average graphics
-fast start up would be nice
-doesnt run hot
The question is, how much are you willing to spend?

Maybe you can try Ultrabook. Intel got a pretty good built in graphic. I think GMA4000. CPU is good. Battery last about forever. With SSD, it will starts in seconds. Never run hot.
That is good but if u ok with no DVD drive. The graphic should be about average. It's good enough for HD stuff.

Second option would be tablet.

Maybe you can try Ultrabook. Intel got a pretty good built in graphic. I think GMA4000. CPU is good. Battery last about forever. With SSD, it will starts in seconds. Never run hot.
looked a little bit at ultrabooks but im getting into music/editing software in the near future and i was hoping they would be able to keep up with my multi-tasking.

i was also looking into the samsung series .... http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP540U3C-A01UB

Ultrabook with external disc drive should be fine. But, it might be a little more than $800.

~$800, obviously lower the better
This one from HP would be my choice, just because i like HP. It has a decent processor to keep up with music editing and basic multi-tasking. Graphics chip is upgradable for a price, if that's a concern.
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...?HP-ENVY-dv6t-7200-Select-Edition-Notebook-PC
3.1 GHz processor, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, discount on a 9-cell battery, 15.6" screen, starting at $649

Then this from Dell, which, contrary to their reputation, makes a pretty decent laptop.
http://www.dell.com/content/product...ron-17r-5720?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=corp&~lt=popup
17.3" screen, 3.2 GHz processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, only a 6-cell battery, decent Nvidia graphics chip, starting at $799

Personally I wouldn't go with any other brand, but if you want to shop around, you could also try:
Samsung
Sony
Toshiba
Asus

Don't go with:
Acer
Lenovo
Anything else

Apple is ridiculously expensive for no reason, but that's your call.
Hope this helps

There are also companies that build custom laptops... mine is custom made back in 2009 runs like a champ no issues and none on the crap on it

This one from HP would be my choice, just because i like HP. It has a decent processor to keep up with music editing and basic multi-tasking. Graphics chip is upgradable for a price, if that's a concern.
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...?HP-ENVY-dv6t-7200-Select-Edition-Notebook-PC
3.1 GHz processor, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, discount on a 9-cell battery, 15.6" screen, starting at $649

Then this from Dell, which, contrary to their reputation, makes a pretty decent laptop.
http://www.dell.com/content/product...ron-17r-5720?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=corp&~lt=popup
17.3" screen, 3.2 GHz processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, only a 6-cell battery, decent Nvidia graphics chip, starting at $799

Personally I wouldn't go with any other brand, but if you want to shop around, you could also try:
Samsung
Sony
Toshiba
Asus

Don't go with:
Acer
Lenovo
Anything else

Apple is ridiculously expensive for no reason, but that's your call.
Hope this helps

See, I wouldn't touch an HP or Dell with a 10m pole. My last HP laptop was in for warranty repairs 29 times in 40 months I owned it. Dell desktop I had kept dying on me until the only thing left of it was the case and motherboard.

Lenovo laptop I've had has zero problems. Kinda pricey but a great business machine for my work.

See, I wouldn't touch an HP or Dell with a 10m pole. My last HP laptop was in for warranty repairs 29 times in 40 months I owned it. Dell desktop I had kept dying on me until the only thing left of it was the case and motherboard.

Lenovo laptop I've had has zero problems. Kinda pricey but a great business machine for my work.

I guess it's just personal experience, because I have an HP desktop that's been running smooth for 7-8 years, it's now my parents. I had an HP laptop for 3 years with no problems, sold it to a friend and a year later still working.

Got my Alienware (made by Dell) and I love it.

Lenovo is really good but I don't recomend R series. I'm starting to see some keyboard problem.
Hp rating is better now but I just can not trust it for now. They were used to overheat a lot. Especially nvidia chips!
Acer was about the same as HP. Dell was on the same boat too but their rating was better because they sold a lot more with intel and ati(amd) chips which did't have problems.
I saw only small amount of Sony laptops got problem with cooling fans.
Toshiba is good IMO. Their gaming series is ok as long as cooling fan is clean.
Apple MacBook pro used to overheat a lot back 3-4 years ago. They are doing good now. I don't see much problems from apple anymore.

I guess it's just personal experience, because I have an HP desktop that's been running smooth for 7-8 years, it's now my parents. I had an HP laptop for 3 years with no problems, sold it to a friend and a year later still working.

This! I agree.

It's also depends on the user.

If hp laptops with intel gpu chips, they have no problems. it will keep working for many many years.

If hp laptops with intel gpu chips, they have no problems. it will keep working for many many years.

it's the amd chips that are crap. i had an hp laptop with some amd cpu, after a month of normal use, it would overheat. this is with the laptop elevated too. i had an antec cooling fan. from that point on, i have never bought anything with an amd cpu.

Back