Official Computer Talk Thread

it's the amd chips that are crap. i had an hp laptop with some amd cpu, after a month of normal use, it would overheat. this is with the laptop elevated too. i had an antec cooling fan. from that point on, i have never bought anything with an amd cpu.
how long ago was that?

Lenovo is really good but I don't recomend R series. I'm starting to see some keyboard problem.
Hp rating is better now but I just can not trust it for now. They were used to overheat a lot. Especially nvidia chips!
Acer was about the same as HP. Dell was on the same boat too but their rating was better because they sold a lot more with intel and ati(amd) chips which did't have problems.
I saw only small amount of Sony laptops got problem with cooling fans.
Toshiba is good IMO. Their gaming series is ok as long as cooling fan is clean.
Apple MacBook pro used to overheat a lot back 3-4 years ago. They are doing good now. I don't see much problems from apple anymore.

Just to make things clear. CPU from intel or amd both are ok. The gpu chip from nvidia was the root of problem. Intel accelerator or amd radeon should be ok.

Technically Alienware was bought out by Dell... Does not mean Dell makes them... Dell wanted that segment of market and bought instead of doing it... they paid for brand.. as far as I last saw they are independant built but under Dell name
That's actually good to know, i thought when they bought it that they took over production too.

idk about custom built being cheaper, i think that was in the past like Bulkybear said. I just went to cyperpower and built a laptop to have exactly the same specs as mine, and it came out to be $19 more expensive.

This one from HP would be my choice, just because i like HP. It has a decent processor to keep up with music editing and basic multi-tasking. Graphics chip is upgradable for a price, if that's a concern.
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...?HP-ENVY-dv6t-7200-Select-Edition-Notebook-PC
3.1 GHz processor, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, discount on a 9-cell battery, 15.6" screen, starting at $649

Then this from Dell, which, contrary to their reputation, makes a pretty decent laptop.
http://www.dell.com/content/product...ron-17r-5720?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=corp&~lt=popup
17.3" screen, 3.2 GHz processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, only a 6-cell battery, decent Nvidia graphics chip, starting at $799

Personally I wouldn't go with any other brand, but if you want to shop around, you could also try:
Samsung
Sony
Toshiba
Asus

Don't go with:
Acer
Lenovo
Anything else

Apple is ridiculously expensive for no reason, but that's your call.
Hope this helps

thanks 323. i like the price w/ the specs for the hp laptop !

My last computer was a Dell, made me go Mac and i havnt looked back. I had to resort to emailing Michael Dell to get anyone to actually fix my computer. The mac is the first computer that ive had that 2 years later doesnt seem to run slower, the same cant be said for any PCs i have had.

Before the dell i had a series of IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads, their consumer line products are kinda crappy, but the business line computers like the T series are built like tanks. I kicked one off a lofted bed onto a tile floor and the computer was perfectly fine.

Laptop reliability
211081-laptopchart_800_original.jpg

I still have that same Dell ethlar Lmao

I think it's been good since the repair man came

really? mine never worked right, and then they started downgrading my configuration with replacement parts to which i said "oh hell no" I still have the last replacement/upgrade machine from them, it streams online media to my tv

the best was after the 3rd or 4th total computer replacement they told me i could pay them another $600 and they would happily extend my warranty another year

the best was after the 3rd or 4th total computer replacement they told me i could pay them another $600 and they would happily extend my warranty another year
Might as well just buy a reliable laptop that doesn't even need to use warranty. I've been using Asus for 7 years (2 laptops). Not a single problem.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's been fine since. I've had it nearly 4 years now. No problems since. I take it apart every few months and dust the internals out.

Last edited:
Laptop reliability
211081-laptopchart_800_original.jpg

I can confidently say that I trust this chart. Great finding Scione!! Nice to see u here too :) The only thing I would change is Acer. After a year or two, some units needed to motherboard repair (nvidia). Everything else on the chart are right on.

I don't get it! How come Hp is number one seller? Maybe because I can find them in just about every electronic stores. One thing I can definitely say is Hp is very nice looking laptop.

Dust building up a lot inside the cooling system after long term periods. Get the air spray can to blow it out. I recommend cleaning it 1-2 times per year.
Make sure the laptop is off and then spray it directly to hot air exhaust vent. A lot of dust should come from the fan side vent. This is the cheapest way to keep laptops longer life. You can take it to computer technician to do it for even better job. They will actually take the motherboard and cooling unit out and clean it good. I have always recommended people to do this. It's better than wait until laptop is overheated. If that happen, that is about $200 or more to fix it.
Some computer virus will overload CPU usage. Run task manager and check it. If the laptop keep running and not repair, it will get overheated too.
Buying the right laptop is important. Maintaining it is another thing.

lolol, definitely out of their mind. Get the new one because it is about the same price.

how long ago was that?

this was maybe 5 years ago? i don't know if amd has changed since then, but i'm sticking with intel until there is a problem. i heard sandy bridge benchmarked better than their bulldozer (on some cases). but then again, i haven't really touched computer stuff in awhile.

this was maybe 5 years ago? i don't know if amd has changed since then, but i'm sticking with intel until there is a problem. i heard sandy bridge benchmarked better than their bulldozer (on some cases). but then again, i haven't really touched computer stuff in awhile.
Yeah, Intel is way ahead of AMD right now. Before in the Pentium D era, AMD was ahead with the Athlon X2 and stuff. After the C2D came out and i series, intel got turbo boosted ahead of AMD.

Back